Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 25 ]  [ Total: 25 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 AHM/Rivarossi Motive Power & Rolling Stock
 AHM Covered Hoppers
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: The original Rivarossi C-LINER! Topic Next Topic: AHM commercial  

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 14 2009 :  01:17:38 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I got these four AHM Hoppers on Ebay a few years ago. I believe these are the only AHM pieces that I have. I liked the looks of them, so I had to have them...

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator 

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - March 14 2009 :  07:53:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist
Very nice Walt, I should keep an eye out for them too!

Mike
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - March 14 2009 :  12:24:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
That Wonder car is a hoot...oh, to have a string of them at a train show.
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - March 14 2009 :  1:33:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
I have the Canadian Club car.
I'll have to look for the others.

Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 14 2009 :  5:56:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Hey Ray! That Canadian Club car is a piece of art!! It's the most impressive of the four. The paint scheme with the colors & red pin stripe..It's like they wanted this hopper to be really good looking!

Shaygetz, The Wonder Bread car IS intertaining to say the least!!

Mike, Thanks for the kind message! I always liked Tyco's Decorated hoppers as a kid because they were heavy enough to stay on the track, and they were colorful. These AHM Hoppers are in the same category...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DJdeTrainman
Little Six

NJTransitAvatar

Posted - March 14 2009 :  6:18:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DJdeTrainman to Buddylist
I think that the Wonder bread one is wonderful, bit I guess I'll always have a soft spot for Lipton, since my Grandpa worked there for sooo long...
D.J. (Yeah, I'm "that kid"... Deal.)

http://railroadrandomness.blogspot.com/
Look; a new blog...

Yippee!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 157  ~  Member Since: February 05 2009  ~  Last Visit: June 05 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

smokie
Hudson

smokie

Posted - March 14 2009 :  9:22:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add smokie to Buddylist
those hoppers look great. i like the lipton.
jerry
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 553  ~  Member Since: January 14 2009  ~  Last Visit: August 29 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lexlie
Little Six

Posted - March 14 2009 :  9:52:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lexlie to Buddylist
got the canadian club one too

really nice piece

got it for peanuts....

PAT
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 188  ~  Member Since: January 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: June 14 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 14 2009 :  11:30:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Thank you Smokie for the kind words! Pat , you are right... these are nice pieces for what they are and normally don't demand much money!

DJdetrianman, isn't it nice to have a particular interest in a piece due to a family members history? I have several toys I have had for 39+ years given to me by an aunt, dad, or someone... These have a special place in my toy collection. I was big into Tyco trains when I was your age, and sometimes, just having this stuff takes me back to those days when all of the family was still around to enjoy. Grow up slowly, enjoy your trains... & family...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - March 15 2009 :  1:49:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
The Wonder car is my favorite of the AHM series and the only one I own. On mine, I finished the dots near the roof (made them round).

I'll have to take a closer look at a Canadian Club next time I see one.

The AHM CF's are nice, but to me they really underscore how much better Tyco's were. AHM's feel flimsy and rough by comparison, and the stirrups are so ridiculously easy to break.

The interesting thing about the AHM (and Bachmann) CF is the high brake wheels, which means these were tooled up VERY quickly after the real-life cars were introduced. But the way the chain just ends in mid-air always bugged me.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 15 2009 :  11:30:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Yes GIC, that's is correct. These railcars we buy are not perfect but they are a joy to many of us. Like I was telling Smokie, they are cool for " what they are" meaning that we buy these pieces for little cost as we know this is not the best brand(s) of model trains availible. As for adding anything to my pieces (like painting the dots on the Wonder Hopper) I don't do it... I leave these guys the way I buy them... I can't make a Big Mac into a steak sandwitch no matter how hard I try. It's all for fun...

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - March 16 2009 :  12:13:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Of course it's for fun! If it wasn't, I wouldn't dare own that Wonder car, or some of the other random AHM cars I have. And I certainly wouldn't have 500+ pieces of Tyco (is that too many...? ) ! I'd go back to exclusively doing realistic weathering and prototype modeling and - dare I say it - rivetcounting...

That said, I certainly appreciate the simpler, sillier facets of the hobby. As well as the serious side. Unlike many MRR's I know, I can honestly say I do and appreciate it all. Including the way things were... there's a historical aspect to the hobby as well as it's prototypes in real life. So my observation of the AHM's construction was not a knock... just an observation. I mean the general consensus in today's MR world is that Tyco = $#!^ not worth a second thought... while AHM, et al sometimes get a pass.... yet in the case of the Center Flow, I'd say the opposite is true. Although, at least AHM offered real roadnames as well and not just silly billboards, LOL.

As for me modifying them... I was just curious if I could match the colors. Plus I figured if their production process had allowed for it in 1975 or whatever, they might have done the same. I'm certainly not ruining some rare valuable, so to me enhancing the appearance of something - subtly personalizing it a bit, with an STC calling card if you will - is part of the fun. It's not just another AHM Wonder Centerflow - it's one that came through the STC shops

Edited by - GoingInCirclez on March 16 2009 12:16:58 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 16 2009 :  12:26:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
oh ya scumbag!! j/k jk I'm sooooo jealous of you me want these!! sorry am trying to collect billboard/ad cars that Niagara products are still being made! someone told me at the Great Train Expo that alcahol related cars are abit rare Is there any cigarette ones? I seriously doubt that
Edited by - microbusss on March 16 2009 12:29:01 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 30 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 16 2009 :  03:54:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Microbus, These hoppers are pretty cool in my opinion.. I don't recall ever seeing a cigarette name billboard car. I am sure alot of guys on here know more about than I do... Maybe one of them will answer your question...

I believe if there was a cigarette car, my dear late mother would have bought one for me years ago!!

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - March 16 2009 :  2:53:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
The only tobacco car that readily comes to mind is Tyco's Mail Pouch Tobacco car. Which was included in thousands of Chattanooga train sets which were doubtlessly gifted to children. The horror!

I think Model Power may have released a tobacco-themed set a couple years ago though. I'm not sure and really couldn't care less about model power trains, but yet a bell rings in my head for that one...?

EDIT:

It was indeed model power, but it was N-scale. 4 boxcars painted for cigar brand liveries; naturally the set was packaged in a cigar box...!

Edited by - GoingInCirclez on March 16 2009 4:43:37 PM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 16 2009 :  7:47:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Mail Pouch I knew about just wondered if there was any others
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 30 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 16 2009 :  9:17:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I always kind of thought of the Mail Pouch as a Chew

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - March 16 2009 :  9:32:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Yep. Like I said: "tobacco".

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 16 2009 :  11:00:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I had no disire to buy Cigarette or alcholhol cars though I do have a couple of Tyco Beer cars.
My Mother smoked heavily when I was a kid on and dad drank heavily at times. He was a trucker, and I have seen him leave the house so drunk he would slither down our front stairs to his car to head to the truck. We figured that would be the last time we would see him! Other times Dad would be so "drunk Sick" he would have his head in the toilet puking!
Mom developed Cancer as I always knew she would. They are both gone now... but I leaned from watching them, smelling the smoke, and seeing what their actions could do. Both myself & my sister, has never had the need or want for a cigarette, or a beer... ever.

mix3d3m0ti0n5
Little Six

Chessie Wink

Posted - March 17 2009 :  12:11:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mix3d3m0ti0n5 to Buddylist
quote:
The only tobacco car that readily comes to mind is Tyco's Mail Pouch Tobacco car. Which was included in thousands of Chattanooga train sets which were doubtlessly gifted to children. The horror!

Originally posted by GoingInCirclez-March 16 2009: 2:53:23 PM

and the horror... how many of us country redneck bumpkins used to "sneak" red man to chew and spit off the back of the porch.

broke that habit quickly. oh wait. it didn't become a habit.

~anna
-----------------------------------
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 105  ~  Member Since: December 23 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - March 19 2009 :  11:12:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
Hey GIC,
I picked up 2 of the model power cigar cars a few years ago. They were also available in HO. There were four to the set, I have the two pictured.

Tom

Edited by - eaglerock109 on March 19 2009 11:13:40 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 620  ~  Member Since: February 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - March 19 2009 :  11:29:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
That's cool, I didn't know they were in HO too. But did the HO ones still fit in a cigar box?

I like that Dutch Masters car. I remember my grampa smoking those sometimes. He had lots of those boxes around his garage too, but I don't know that he had a particular favorite brand.

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - March 20 2009 :  08:14:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
They did not come in a cigar box, that would have been cool if they did. They were in a standard model power box. The other 2 cars are Antonio Y Juliete (probably spelled that wrong) and the other name escapes me. I'll look at the box when I get off work and get the other cigar brand name.
Tom

The other car was for Muriel cigars. There are 2 El Producto cars on ebay now, around 11 bucks if I recall, and the Muriel car is also for sale.

Edited by - eaglerock109 on March 21 2009 11:25:27 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 620  ~  Member Since: February 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 10 2023 :  4:26:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Originally posted by eaglerock109 on March 19 2009 

I do not smoke but they are attractive cars.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5896  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: The original Rivarossi C-LINER! Topic Next Topic: AHM commercial  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000