Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 11 ]  [ Total: 11 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Maintenance & Repair Shop
 Motors for locos
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: TYCO MANTUA coupler replace Topic Next Topic: Repairing old locomotives  

RailBurn
Switcher

CNRedAvatar

Posted - August 11 2012 :  01:16:43 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add RailBurn to Buddylist
Hello all, new to the site/forum. Lots of neat stuff here. My son and I recently dug out my old train set from when I was a kid (mid '70s). We have these two locomotives:

They both use the same type of drive motor:

I'm not sure what this type is commonly referred to as, but I imagine it's fairly common..? Another thing I imagine that's fairly common is the way that they fail, as both of them have the pin broken off which holds the large drive gear:

I could try drilling through where the pin was and pressing in a pin, but the cast metal isn't too tough, and may not hold up to machining operations. It would be a lot simpler just to find some replacements. If anyone knows where I can find some motors like this, or if you have some spare bits lying around, we could work something out...?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3  ~  Member Since: August 09 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 29 2012 Alert Moderator 

newhudson
Little Six

VGNAvatar

Posted - August 11 2012 :  12:56:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add newhudson to Buddylist
Hey Rail Burn, welcome to the group!

If I may suggest, you could find either parts, a parts loco, or even a working loco to get your parts from. Look at train shows or eBay. As it looks like you already know, they're easy to take apart and get back together.

Sam
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 151  ~  Member Since: December 29 2011  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - August 11 2012 :  4:10:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Thats the PowerTorque. Real common and if ran rough in the past, they burn out easily. Ya could try making a new pin. Your poison!
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - August 11 2012 :  11:02:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Usually the cheapest way to fix these is to replace them, and your only choice there is used motors, as there are no new replacements for these. Some people have been grinding the armature area out and installing can motors but that is advanced work. If you can't find any , let me know, I have a stash of them, and will sell you bare chassis's ( no parts but with a good gear pin ) for $3.50 each, or $7 with most of the parts except wheels / axles (plus shipping ). So two would probably run about 14 plus 6? shipping. Let me know if you're interested. I'll need photos of both motors , as there are about 4 different kinds with different brush plates, etc, I'll try to match any I have with what you have, but they are more or less interchangeable anyway.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RailBurn
Switcher

CNRedAvatar

Posted - August 11 2012 :  11:13:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RailBurn to Buddylist
PowerTorque, okay at least now I know what to look/ask for. When I first checked on eBay there wasn't much of the type I needed, (drive motor always looked different from the bottom) but there seems to be more now. I guess it goes in waves.

Train shows are a good idea, there must be tons of parts there. Meantime, maybe I'll have a crack at pressing in some pins just for the challenge. I'll post the results, good or bad.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3  ~  Member Since: August 09 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 29 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RailBurn
Switcher

CNRedAvatar

Posted - August 16 2012 :  01:23:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RailBurn to Buddylist
Hello Jerry,
Just saw your post. If you don't mind parting with a few items, I wouldn't mind taking you up on your offer. I guess what I would really need is one with the guts and one bare. I'll have to take some pix so you can check the type. Let me know what it would come to; don't forget it's going to Canada.
Thanks,
Darren
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3  ~  Member Since: August 09 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 29 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: TYCO MANTUA coupler replace Topic Next Topic: Repairing old locomotives  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000