Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 40 ]  [ Total: 40 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Maintenance & Repair Shop
 TYCO MANTUA coupler replace
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Tyco 0-8-0 Chattanooga Choo-Choo Question Topic Next Topic: Motors for locos  

caboose 1
Big Six

L&N Hummingbird

Posted - September 22 2012 :  11:09:50 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add caboose 1 to Buddylist
Guys...I just repaired a REAR coupler on this F7...This is how I did it....

Refer to the photos

1. Take your Dremel and grind the pin flush with the draft gear (work from the bottom..you wont have to remove the truck)...
2. Take a 1/16 drill bit and drill out the pin from BOTH pieces of the draft gear
3. Align your assy and insert the screw from the bottom up...
The screw I used is a Mantua screw...the little bitty ones from the corner of the MANTUA older freight car chasiss....they fit perfectly...DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN...just snug 'em up firm...I hope the pics are good enough tp see...

Some of you may have already done this..just thought I'd see if this would help anyone!

caboose 1
Edited by - caboose 1 on September 22 2012 11:12:07 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 352  ~  Member Since: November 09 2010  ~  Last Visit: January 21 2013 Alert Moderator 

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - September 22 2012 :  9:20:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
That actually looks like a pretty clean way of doing it. Does it damage the actual coupler box in any way? I've seen some pretty bad examples of drilling out the rivet...one where the previous owner used a screw so big he had to cut off part of the engine's rear door to make it fit *facepalm*

After Mantua split from Tyco they assembled their coupler boxes like this, did they not?

There have been a couple of posts about this in the past. One way people have done it is simply by taking a flat screwdriver and prying the coupler box apart. You can then just press it back together when you're finished
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3323  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

caboose 1
Big Six

L&N Hummingbird

Posted - September 22 2012 :  10:53:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add caboose 1 to Buddylist
Its my first attempt...and what I thought would work...worked perfectly...prying with a screwdriver would bend stuff...nothing was bent or distorted with my method...all the pieces reallinghned and work perfectly...I got really lucky..I used a cordless screwdriver to do the drilling...and a cordless dremel for the light grinding work..the hardest part is lineing up the coupler and the loose draft gear section. I threaded the screw in SLIGHTLY..just enough so the coupler hole would catch it...then pressed the 2 pcs together and screwed them snug...
caboose 1
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 352  ~  Member Since: November 09 2010  ~  Last Visit: January 21 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Tyco 0-8-0 Chattanooga Choo-Choo Question Topic Next Topic: Motors for locos  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000