Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 11 ]  [ Total: 11 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Accessories
 Piggyback Unloader Help!
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Eastbound and Down!!! US-1 Style! Topic Next Topic: Tyco Log Loader  

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - February 17 2012 :  1:56:45 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
I have a Tyco Piggyback Unloader. Its the one with the forklift.Anyways, the forks don't wanna move up or down! I took one of my clunker forklifts apart to try and understand the mechinism. It seems as if the final drive gear with the forklift's lever doesn't move! The motor spins over and bogs out and gets real hot. It does run on AC right? Then, it hestitates to move backwards or fowards sometimes. Anybody here tinker on one of these?
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator 

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - February 17 2012 :  3:22:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Any ideas anyone? I just got the gears cleaned up.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - February 17 2012 :  3:42:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
Could be the plastic worm gears are worn out, try replacing them with brass ones (I used Athearn ones, the fit great) also some liquid bearings or comparable oil in the motor shaft may help.
just me Ray... and just because I have Tyco doesn't mean I am not a model railroader
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 506  ~  Member Since: April 03 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - February 17 2012 :  3:51:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
I think my controller could be an issue. I'll check the gears too.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - February 17 2012 :  4:03:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
Controller seems to be an issue with mine too, though it's not really critical for my installation as the controls will be mounted so I can live with momentary contact switches.
just me Ray... and just because I have Tyco doesn't mean I am not a model railroader
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 506  ~  Member Since: April 03 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - February 17 2012 :  4:29:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Ray, the gear that controls the forks was a flashin' monster! The sides of the teeth that met the worm gear was all goobered up in flash. I had a back up thank goodness! The controllers fingers seem to not touch the points very well. I adjusted just enough to ensure the mechinisms work.

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - February 17 2012 :  5:15:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
Yikes! Well that's interesting when all is said and done with mine, it should be completely regeared and look a bit different....right now though priority is cleaning the garage!

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - February 17 2012 :  7:32:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Maybe one day I'll jsut use DPDT toggle switches rather than the lever controller.

newhudson
Little Six

VGNAvatar

Posted - February 25 2012 :  3:27:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add newhudson to Buddylist
I believe there's a bridge rectifier in there somewhere, but I forget off hand if it's in the controller or accessory. I want to say it was in the orange house, but I might be confused with the culvert pipe unloading tractor thing. I do remember having a controller issue with mine, and like you said, I had to fiddle with the contacts. There was something with the ac/dc that came into play though when I was thinking of using or making a different controller. I guess if it were in the orange "office", then there would have to be another one in the yellow forklift tractor too for that motor. Since this is Tyco we're talking about, maybe there was only one and it was in the controller? I may have to dig mine out and see what I can remember.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 151  ~  Member Since: December 29 2011  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Eastbound and Down!!! US-1 Style! Topic Next Topic: Tyco Log Loader  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000