Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 18 ]  [ Total: 18 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Car of the Week (COTW)
 CotW 2012 Jan 15-21
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: COTW - 2012 March 18 to March 24 Topic Next Topic: CotW March 4- 10  

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - January 14 2012 :  10:33:34 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
A couple hours early, but here goes: One of Tyco's early promos... with a key difference that "explains a bit":

#311-Z Model Railroader 25th Anniversary Boxcar from 1959. I had thought this only existed in kit form, until I got the one on the left in a lot. The blue box is not labeled, but the insert and inside of the box have paint marks that match the car. 1959 was the transition year from blue to red boxes, so it makes sense... perhaps that was an earlier release within the year 1959. But the cars also tell a story...

The blue-boxed car is preassembled with painted and riveted chassis, while the red-box car, as a kit, used an unpainted chassis to be installed using screws. But wait, there's more...

The white paint on these cars was always a disappointment. Tyco rep for paintwork had always been top-notch to this point, but they hadn't ever attempted graphics in the grab and ladder areas, and this caused a problem. The "earlier" (bluebox car) shows evidence of white paint on and under the grab on the left, even though the coverage was poor. On the right side, we see white paint in between the ladder rungs... but not on the ladders themselves.

By contrast, the "late" (red box) car shows that they modified the tampo by removing the space around the left rung completely, and the ladder on the right as well. Once could argue they should have just moved the graphic on the left side up an 1/8" or so...

Ironic that the car they made intended for the hobby's biggest magazine, might have begun the downfall of their rep with the same...

(ooh and look... two different shades of blue )
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator 

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - January 14 2012 :  11:03:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
Nice...would love to get one of those...I do have a 50 though, not interested in the 75 one...

Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - January 14 2012 :  11:13:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
I found this car at a used train shop near Mantua NJ over the Christmas holiday. Not sure of it's origin or authenticity but it's kind of cool.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 620  ~  Member Since: February 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - January 14 2012 :  11:56:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
quote:
Nice...would love to get one of those...
Originally posted by shaygetz - January 14 2012 :  11:03:30 PM

Huzzah for good luck! I was just thinking I might part with the redboxed one Since you're looking to pare down your own stuff, I'm sure we can work something out :) PM me your list and we'll go from there....

-Tony
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - January 15 2012 :  07:46:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
nice cars there tony,mine this week is the nmra 25th 1947-1972,ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - January 15 2012 :  08:55:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
My delicious addition to this week's COTW is a tanker, probably hauling chocolate syrup ingredients to make those delicious chewy round rolls. You can find the Hershey boxcars, but rarely see this Tootsieroll tanker. Bought it last year.

One more piece towards creating a candy consist eventually.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 15 2012 :  2:46:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Hey Spider Where is Escanaba anyway?
Yes wouuld like the 25th 50th & 75th Anniversary cars someday hehe
I has a Walther's 75th Anniversary car
I'd post it but PC is broke
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - January 15 2012 :  5:55:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
quote:
Hey Spider Where is Escanaba anyway?

Originally posted by microbusss - January 15 2012 :  2:46:17 PM

Escanaba is in Michigan/Wisconsin... an Iron-Ore route in the eastern Wis' northern Mich' if I remember my geography.

"One more piece towards creating a candy consist eventually.
Jerry"

Jerry, did you know that MTH has an HO train set in the M&M's motif?

Spider, nice catch!

Awesome, Ken!

Eaglerock109, it's either Mantua or early Tyco... something fishy though... missing decals on one side, and the "a" is backwards on "Tuna" that same side. Whoever did this car up did pretty good.

I would sell the top RMC 1933/1973 if someone knows the value of it since I have a double.
40 Years Athearn Baggage. Has one "fixed" stirrup, left end. Not perfect.

Athearn Observation 1869/1969. 100 years
Athearn Gold MR 1934/1984 50 Years
Athearn Blue MR 1934/1999 65 Years
Train Miniature Trains White ice bunker reefer 1940/1970 30 Years
MDC/Roundhouse Horizontal rib Trains 1940/1975 35 Years

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?

Edited by - zebrails on January 15 2012 6:31:16 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - January 15 2012 :  7:00:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
Eaglerock109, it's either Mantua or early Tyco... something fishy though... missing decals on one side, and the "a" is backwards on "Tuna" that same side. Whoever did this car up did pretty good.

It is a Mantua car, stamped on the bottom. I'm not saying what this car is but knowing the way Tyco / Mantua did all sorts of odd miss prints etc, it's interesting to think what if? The decals would be hard to fake, it is possible though.
The backwards "a" on the one side does make me wonder, but the car was never produced in this color with all the decals from the different cars of the time.
I'll never know but it is nice to wonder what and where this car originated.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 620  ~  Member Since: February 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - January 15 2012 :  9:03:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
My Input for the week:

Bachmann Plow-Gon

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 16 2012 :  3:10:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
zebrarails - Extremely jealous of those anniversary cars you have hehe
Need to find them someday But atm work is zero So not going to shows till I make a few hundred
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 19 2012 :  6:43:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* This is my Pennsylvania Railroad Blacksmith Car. From one of Walters Maintance of the way PRR car sets
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tkruger
Big Six

Posted - January 19 2012 :  7:50:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tkruger to Buddylist
Pair of Pickle cars:
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 332  ~  Member Since: August 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - March 15 2012 :  7:19:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Zebrails, I believe ya missing the 40th anniversary car. I bought in Feburary for $5. Has the Great Gulch, Yahoo Valley and Northen road name on it.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: COTW - 2012 March 18 to March 24 Topic Next Topic: CotW March 4- 10  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000