Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 31 ]  [ Total: 31 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 All the others not mentioned.
 Roundhouse Critter Model 40 decoder install
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Accurail Rolling Stock Topic Next Topic: Railroad records & tapes  

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - January 05 2012 :  11:10:12 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
I got lucky last year, my closest-to-work LHS put out this nice MDC critter, since I like Hustler type switchers, I just had to have this undecorated one to let my fertile imagination sow some seeds of switchdom. Anyway, finally ordered a tiny TCS MC2 decoder to fit off Ebay a few weeks ago, and after downloading the appropriate files to both fix the factory problems and install a decoder, I proceeded to upgrade it today at work.

One problem I discovered when I researched it online, is that that MDC installed the LED diodes and wiring backwards at the factory. Long as you didnt' use lights, you would be ok but using that circuit would fry the decoder's light circuit. So following the directions, I used a SMD pincher-type desoldering tool to remove the diodes and turn them around, then reversed the gray and black wiring to the LEDs. Got that done at work this morning in about 10 minutes. Nice to have the right equipment handy! THen, I proceeded to raid the obsolete parts bins at work, and made a set of socket plugs to wire in the decoder harness. after cutting apart a special IC machine socket, I soldered the harness wirings into the two 4-pin halves, after reviewing the pin-outs of the 652 NMRA fitting. Got that soldered up, and then packed everything up to bring home.

Got it out after cleaning up my PC area to do a little wiring work. Proceeded to try to install the decoder and wiring harness, but hit a snag, I REALLY should stop trying to save so much of the harness. Would not snap together with that much wire inside. So, gonna have to desolder the harness, shorten it, and then reconnect the wires. Oh well, lesson learned. I'll work on it tomorrow night. Here's some pics of the unit and a new Western Maryland GP40 I just bought at the same hobby store, $25 with a decoder on board. My 2nd WM engine ( got a BL-2 for that 1st one, ).

Wow, that critter looks small next to even the Hustler!

Tiny little thing! I intend to pull an open-sided tourist car with it.

The inner guts of the Model 40 EMD unit

Unfortunately, too much wire, so cut it down about 70%, and will resolder tomorrow night.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator 

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - January 06 2012 :  03:48:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
Sheesh, I saw a RNDS Critter for sale on eViLbay a few weeks ago... EMD dark blue Demo...

$165 It was a four day auction... Started at $20...

dawggone... I wish I got one when it first came out... 2005-2006

I will recover.

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - January 06 2012 :  7:16:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
Sheesh,
dawggone... I wish I got one when it first came out... 2005-2006

John

Originally posted by zebrails - January 06 2012 :  03:48:28 AM

Yes, I don't find them for sale often, and cheapest I've seen lately at auction is 60-90 dollars. WOW. Even surplus, they're not cheap on websites. I got a deal on mine for sure!

I just finished reworking the over-long wire harness at work this morning, it fits in nicely now, and I was able to close the shell and put it all back together. annoying to see the harness thru the windows, but not much room in there. I'll see about adding some blackout in there later, but I want to test it tomorrow at my club's Open House. Should be fun little engine to chug around the branch lines!

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Accurail Rolling Stock Topic Next Topic: Railroad records & tapes  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000