Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 17 ]  [ Total: 17 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Motive Power
 Mantua question ???
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: DCC on a MU Truck Topic Next Topic: Tyco Fun!  

taycotrains
Big Six

TAYCOTRAINS

Posted - November 13 2011 :  9:28:07 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add taycotrains to Buddylist
Can anyone tell me should this old shark have lettering on it like in the instructions ?

This is the instructions that came in the box

This is the box the loco came in.

Thanks BT
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 385  ~  Member Since: August 08 2007  ~  Last Visit: October 10 2023 Alert Moderator 

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - November 13 2011 :  10:47:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
Can anyone tell me should this old shark have lettering on it like in the instructions ?

Thanks BT

Originally posted by taycotrains - November 13 2011 :  9:28:07 PM

If this is the metal one, mine is like yours, no lettering. That was probably company propaganda for advertising. All the one's I've seen on Ebay have no Mantua on them,, either.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

59Chevy
Big Six

Posted - November 13 2011 :  10:51:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 59Chevy to Buddylist
No, that is a factory decal job and it didn't have lettering.

The Tyco version had "Tyco" lettering in the blue decal on the side; I believe the Mantua version was plain.

I believe the "Mantua" lettering on the one on the instructions was a special one-of-a-kind paint job for a model in the Mantua office. I think I saw a photo of it on this forum one time. I think it was red or maroon.

That is a nice looking engine! Many times, the decals are torn or wearing off. Those look good! How does it run?

Mark
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 293  ~  Member Since: January 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: September 29 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

taycotrains
Big Six

TAYCOTRAINS

Posted - November 13 2011 :  11:27:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add taycotrains to Buddylist
Mark and Jerry
Thanks for your responses....I thought maybe the letters flaked off.
The loco runs very well..My son actually bought it for me today at the Allentown show for 25.00. The asking price was 30.00.
BT
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 385  ~  Member Since: August 08 2007  ~  Last Visit: October 10 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - November 15 2011 :  12:58:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
The "TYCO" lettering, when present, was painted (stamped) under the decal, above the fuel tank. I have not actually ever seen one in a "Tyco" box, but I have obtained several with the same Mantua box shown. Though that would present a kind of identity crisis, wouldn't it?
Most of the sharks I've seen in Tyco boxes are the red and yellow version with the modified gimbal mount and cooling slots in the roof.

BTW there are green versions of that loco - not sure if it's a fluke of decal aging or what, but they're out there.

The "Mantua" lettered one in the box art was a demo / promotional item. Yes, it has been posted here before, long ago.

One other version I've seen in the "Mantua" box is orange and black with no decals or markings. They turn up periodically.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 15 2011 :  4:12:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
From the pictures I seen on Cook's site the lettering looks like this: T.Y.C.O. Like it was a abberviation for something
Do want one & the B unit as well someday
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14696  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: DCC on a MU Truck Topic Next Topic: Tyco Fun!  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000