Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 9 ]  [ Total: 9 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Events
 I think I won the lottery! Dallas train show 11/11
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Kansas City Show Nov 26, 2006 Topic Next Topic: Milwaukee Trainfest Nov 11-12  

ILUVBUDWSR
Hudson

fty

Posted - November 16 2006 :  01:06:02 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add ILUVBUDWSR to Buddylist
Me and the wife went to visit theoldreliable over the past weekend in Dallas and they had a huge train show in FortWorth so we all loaded up and went for the afternoon.
Upon arriving the first table we looked at a guy had a whole box of Tyco under the table that had 30$ marked on it. I dug through the box and there was a lot of broken parts but at the bottom was a MINT SIB Virginian operating hopper. I asked the guy if he would sell it seperatly and he scratched his head and said I guess , what will you give me for it? I pondered for a minute and before me and robert could say anything he said 5 dollars! SOLD!!!
I was feeling pretty good at this point and while Robert stayed back to look at the rest of his display I wondered off AND THERE IT WAS! A sealed in the box Life-Like McDonalds BuildEM`s kit.The kit was piled in with a bunch of old Lionel stuff so it was very over lookable to the HO collector.The guy who ran the table wasnt there so another fellow said to come back in 10 minutes and the owner would be back. I went and told Robert what I found and he was just as amazed as me! We wondered off again and went in diffrent directions and ran into each other about five minutes later and he said " you owe me 20 dollars " so naturaly I forked it over!
This is the good part. We walked around the show for another 10 minutes like " yea were bad , uh huh " until Joe mullet man blow walked up and said " WHERE DID YOU GET THAT!?!?!? With the deer in the headlight look I was thinking who and the hell are you.He instructed us to come back to the table with him like we just M80ed the toilets and in the proccess tryed to explain how rare the kit was and he wanted 80$ for it! Robert didnt know that the man who sold it to him was a dealer at another table LOL LOL. I guess he talked smoother than me and it would have helped if I would have told him the owner was`nt even here yet! Long story short we got our 20$ back and now we`re McDonald less.
I proceeded to walk through the rest of the show and picked up a PT Union Pacific SD-24 in the box and a Chessie System NIB LifeLike GP-38 yellow box for 20$. I was still alittle steamed and my wife could tell so to make a long story short she walked back to the man and said he handled the situation pretty poorly and she got it for 60$ Me and Robert looked at each other and said " she`s good " LOL ! So now I have a NSIB McDonalds BuildEm`s in my collection.
I should have played the powerball that day!

A lone amature built the ark! A large group of professionals built the titanic!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 423  ~  Member Since: September 25 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 08 2012 Alert Moderator 

theoldreliable
Big Six

LNAvatar2

Posted - November 16 2006 :  10:52:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add theoldreliable to Buddylist
YESSIR! That guy thought breakfast was more important than selling, so he almost lost that kit for $20. I cannot BELIEVE that guy wandered off the 1st 5 minutes of the show for an english muffin and a cuppa joe.

When he caught up to us, he was winded...and looked at us as if we had kidnapped his child. I thought he was going to cry...LOL.

SUPER-DUPER SCORE...but the MIBS McD's trumped the MIBS
$5 Virginian Operating Coal Unloader set, to be sure.

Still, $60 for that kit is spectacular. Mad snaps to ILUVBUDWSR.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 316  ~  Member Since: June 16 2006  ~  Last Visit: September 02 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - November 16 2006 :  11:51:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Ah, so that's the reason for the auction finds eh? [:D] Nice score!

Man, I wish our train shows around here were that good. They all suck, same usual cast of GATS/Greenberg characters. Who put on the Dallas show?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - November 16 2006 :  1:28:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
Sounds like you guys had a great time!

Here's my take on the McDonald's situation...

YOU CAN HAVE MY SEALED MIB LL BUILD 'EMS McDONALD'S
WHEN YOU CAN PRY IT FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!

I'd walk off and leave a crisp $100 bill on a swap meet table before I walk away from a sealed Life-Like McDonald's kit.

The seller was a fool to leave his table and deserved to part with it for a twenty, I say!

At $60...You Still Got A GREAT Deal!! I'd say sealed they are in the $100 range...easy.

Ah, but that feeling of buying it for only $20...I'M KING OF THE WORLD!...right? [:D]

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
http://ho-scaletrains.net
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1658  ~  Member Since: December 03 2005  ~  Last Visit: February 07 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - November 16 2006 :  1:32:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
The End-All, Be-All of HO-Scale restaurant kits...

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
http://ho-scaletrains.net
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1658  ~  Member Since: December 03 2005  ~  Last Visit: February 07 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - November 16 2006 :  1:35:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Do you have pictures of the Tastee-Freeze kit? THAT is really the one I would love to find... but it's very VERY similar to the McDonald's. Did they quit making the Tastee-Freeze when they stopped the McDonald's?

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

theoldreliable
Big Six

LNAvatar2

Posted - November 16 2006 :  1:59:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add theoldreliable to Buddylist
1. North Texas Council of Model Railroaders put the CowTown show on.

2. Tastee Freeze is the EXACT mold of the Life-Like McD's kit. Look at it closely...everything but the sign/decals and yellow arches match. Same kit.

I have 2 McD's...one MIBS, one completely in pieces. I have matched the missing pieces (trash cans, umbrellas, benches, etc.) of the disassembled 2nd kit with the Tastee Freeze kit. And...I have inspected both closely. They are the EXACT same kits. Paint, decals and golden arches are all you need to replicate the McD's kit.

Life-Like only had to build a mold for the sign and base to replace the McD's molds, as opposed to building a whole new die and mold set for a new model.

Edited by - theoldreliable on November 17 2006 1:51:16 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 316  ~  Member Since: June 16 2006  ~  Last Visit: September 02 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Kansas City Show Nov 26, 2006 Topic Next Topic: Milwaukee Trainfest Nov 11-12  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000