Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 An Old MOW Flat Car
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Adding Tender Pick Up? Topic Next Topic: Customized Covered Gondola Car  

siouxlake
Hudson

Posted - July 25 2014 :  8:05:02 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add siouxlake to Buddylist
I started this car after seeing a RailPictures Archives image of an old Minneapolis & St. Louis MOW flat car online. The original:

I used an old 40 ft. Athearn BB flat car as the base, although a longer one could have been more appropriate, but with my smaller layout, the shorter version will have to suffice.

Everything above the deck level was hand-made from styrene pieces and approximately sized with an HO scale ruler, to replicate the objects in sizes that were relatable to a human HO figure, which I used on the final model as a scale item.

The tank was made from irrigation PVC pipe ends and I used steel piano wire for the four stirrups. Basic Walmart gray primer was ink-washed to suit, but I left out rust weathering effects as I am still not conversant in applying that type of effect.

The results:

Siouxlake Ron
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: September 21 2011  ~  Last Visit: December 21 2014 Alert Moderator 

Retired Alex
Big Six

CanadianPacificBeaverAvatar

Posted - July 25 2014 :  9:49:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Retired Alex to Buddylist
Very nice.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 265  ~  Member Since: March 07 2014  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - July 25 2014 :  10:42:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Great job as usual, Ron! I always like seeing your work.
Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - July 25 2014 :  11:43:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Nice, Ron...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - July 26 2014 :  01:25:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
That is nice and it's cool to see the photo of the prototype. It almost thinks you could use this as a disguise for a track cleaning car (if those things actually worked . . . ha!). What do you suppose they kept in that big tank Ron?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 26 2014 :  01:59:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
coool Now I want one
Do it say Standard on the original?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14694  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

siouxlake
Hudson

Posted - July 26 2014 :  09:01:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add siouxlake to Buddylist
Barry: the original photo has a "gas" label on one end of the tank, which I copied. Probably for refilling gas-powered generators or gas-powered tools?

Ben: The original photo shows a much-faded Standard Oil logo on the side of the tank- perhaps this was a stationary storage tank at one time. I haven't seen Standard Oil signs since I was a kid up in Minneapolis in the 1960's. (didn't they become "Exxon"?).

Ron
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: September 21 2011  ~  Last Visit: December 21 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

rbturner
Big Six

RBT

Posted - July 26 2014 :  10:30:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add rbturner to Buddylist
Awesome car; thanks for taking the time to share with us.
Randy
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 358  ~  Member Since: April 30 2011  ~  Last Visit: May 08 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - July 26 2014 :  1:23:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Nice kitbash there!
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 26 2014 :  3:30:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Exxon? nopes all Amoco gas stations became BP
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14694  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - July 27 2014 :  10:24:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I believe Standard Oil was broken up by the government as a kind of dangerous monopoly. (I wonder how long it'll be before the government recognizes that feature in itself. ) In the Midwest, they became Amoco, but there were other companies in other places such as SOCONY (Standard Oil Company, New York) or SOHIO. I think of this breakup as an early childhood memory, so it may have been in the late 1960's or early 1970's.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2356  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 08 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 27 2014 :  10:40:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
I believe Standard Oil was broken up by the government as a kind of dangerous monopoly. (I wonder how long it'll be before the government recognizes that feature in itself. ) In the Midwest, they became Amoco, but there were other companies in other places such as SOCONY (Standard Oil Company, New York) or SOHIO. I think of this breakup as an early childhood memory, so it may have been in the late 1960's or early 1970's.
Originally posted by scsshaggy - July 27 2014 :  10:24:54 AM

nope WAY earlier than that Try 1911
Any Standard, American or Amaco out there was a regional company
Of course after the break up in 1911 John D. Rockefeller had shares in each of the oil companies that formed after the break up
(shut up Walt)

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - July 27 2014 :  11:18:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:

(shut up Walt)

Originally posted by microbusss - July 27 2014 :  10:40:40 AM

the INFORMER

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 27 2014 :  7:38:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

the INFORMER
Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - July 27 2014 :  11:18:20 AM

what? you guys didn't watch the Men Who Made America on the History Channel?

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - July 27 2014 :  8:20:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Looks just like it minus the rust and dirt of course.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - July 27 2014 :  9:39:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
NICE!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - July 28 2014 :  6:47:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Beautiful job on that MOW car, Ron. The ink wash gives the gray a lot of depth; maybe it looked like that earlier in its career.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AF Kid
Mikado

JerseyCentralAvatar

Posted - August 09 2014 :  09:19:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add AF Kid to Buddylist
Awesome build....
Could you give a clue to where you found the materials to build that?
Thanks!

Edited by - AF Kid on August 09 2014 09:20:21 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 650  ~  Member Since: April 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

siouxlake
Hudson

Posted - August 13 2014 :  10:33:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add siouxlake to Buddylist
From my OP: "I used an old 40 ft. Athearn BB flat car as the base, although a longer one could have been more appropriate, but with my smaller layout, the shorter version will have to suffice.

Everything above the deck level (the cabinet, welding rig, girders, etc.) was hand-made from styrene pieces (girders are available from Evergreen or Plastruct) or styrene solid rods (the side rungs on the girder) and approximately sized with an HO scale ruler, to replicate the objects in sizes that were relatable to a human HO figure, which I used on the final model as a scale item.

The tank was made from irrigation PVC pipe ends and I used steel piano wire for the four stirrups. Basic Walmart gray primer was ink-washed to suit, but I left out rust weathering effects as I am still not conversant in applying that type of effect."

When I refer to "styrene pieces", let me explain- I took small pieces of balsa and cut them, using an HO scale ruler, to give reasonable dimensions to the objects I was copying from the real world photo. I then used .010 very thin styrene sheet cut into an series of "opend-box" panels, which I then wrapped around the balsa piece and CA glued closed.

The PVC pipe ends are found in Home Depot in the irrigation fittings aisle- I took another piece of .010 styrene and made a liner for the inside of one pipe end, which then allowed me to align the two end pieces when gluing together- again, using CA cement.

The piano wire was standard K&S engineering .025 wire, and I very very carefully drilled holes in the base of the flat car side sill, using CA to secure them. Two of the original plastic ones were already gone on the model I used, so I decided to just do all four as wire stirrups.

I painted and "weathered" the flat car floor first, but only after dry-positioning the separate pieces.

The "hose reel hanging from the girder came from two reversed ho scale plastic wheels, sanded flatter on their faces, inverted and CA glued togther.

The "hose" is actually that solid styrene rod wrapped into several loose ovals, then CA glued to keep its shape. All plastic work was done prior to individual painting.

I looked up Miller welders online to get an idea of the dimensions, then used thee above-described balsa-and-styrene wrap method to make the shape.

Siouxlake Ron
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: September 21 2011  ~  Last Visit: December 21 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Adding Tender Pick Up? Topic Next Topic: Customized Covered Gondola Car  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000