Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 11 ]  [ Total: 11 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 RETRO TYCO II
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Previous Page | Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: RETRO TYCO updates & My Tyco Collection Tour Topic Next Topic: My NEW N-Scale Layout
Page: of 5

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 02 2020 :  10:24:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:

As always you provide us with your nice videos and photos Robert.
We hope to see more but we know you are very busy these days.
Hope to see you soon enjoying your vast collection in action.

Originally posted by wks-March 03 2020: 10:21:52 PM

Just saw this comment, wks! Thank you for the kind words - I do my utmost to present my love of Tyco to you guys, and the world, through the best way I know how - making vidoes.

Speaking of RETRO TYCO, I've got some great things coming for this layout, as I am now focusing 100% of my model railroading attention to completing it (by "completion," I mean 99%, as there is always room for improvement.) Please stay tuned.

I have a few Tyco kits to build and install on the layout, as well as a NIB Tyco Lighted Factory (spoiler) and potentially another Tyco Pre-Pod.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 05 2020 :  9:48:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
UPDATE:

First of all, I started off by installing Goody's Hairband traction tires on my Tyco GM&O 2-8-0, which has been waiting a long time to ride the rails of RETRO TYCO. Stay tuned for a video of it in action!

Next, I began looking through my parts cart, and found a perfectly good Tyco MU-2 truck assembly that only needed 2 wires re-soldered in order to work. I pulled out the solder gun and presto, the MU-2 motor came back to life. But then, I had to decide what to do with it. After considering, I decided to try swapping out a burned-out PowerTorque motor assembly on one of my Midnight Special Sharks, with the MU-2 truck assembly. Easily done. Now all I'm waiting for is the liquid cement used to re-affix the truck covers, to dry fully, as well as to find a new horn, and my Tyco MU-2 RF-16 "Shark" Conversion will be complete. More info to come.

Now, moving on to one of my recent Ebay scores. I found this 1950's diecast Tyco Shark & set of 3 aluminum streamlined passenger coaches from the same seller, for a grand total of $70, without shipping. I immediately jumped on the opportunity, and I'm so glad I did, as the price was quite good.

The streamliner coaches are in Excellent condition for their age, with the original "Tyco Streamliner" decals still intact on each coach. The observation car does have an odd hole in the end part of the roof, perhaps a solder gun hole? But still, not bad for over 60 years old.

As far as the Shark, upon removing the truck from the diecast shell to replace the coupler, I immediately noticed that someone had previously installed a new powerful magnet in place of the original, and amazingly, this Shark runs like a dream. Smooth, steady, and powerful! In fact, it is the best running one I've seen, from videos and from my own undecorated Tyco diecast Shark that I've had for a while. Overall, I'm so stoked to have gotten such a good deal on such an amazing set from Tyco's history, and as always, to have added another unique piece of Tyco's past to my collection.

Please enjoy the following video of it in action on RETRO TYCO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UymuQKMHah8

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Edited by - RP model railroads on June 05 2020 10:22:18 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 06 2020 :  01:34:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
An impressive sight to see this antique gliding
about like a figure skater. The wear marks give it
character. Please update me, what is the approximate
vintage of this remarkable set?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 06 2020 :  08:44:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Wow, that is so neat! I hope I come across one of those sharks some day. I'm assuming you wouldn't want to repaint it to keep it "Authentic". But if I ever find one, chances are the paint will be chipped as well, so then I can restore it!

When I saw the hole I immediately thought: Did a hot bulb melt the plastic? And considering the observation car usually has a tail light, and that somebody modified it with a better magnet, maybe this person also wanted to put a light in the back.

Anyway, some JB Weld should do the trick, that hole is very unsightly!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 08 2020 :  4:49:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Chops: Defininitely late 1950's, probably 1957 - 1958

Alex: Yeah, no need to paint this Shark, as its battle-scarred paint job shows its age. However, as I'm sure you know, Tyco/Mantua originally made the diecast Shark as a kit, with an undecorated shell. In fact, I have only 1 other Tyco diecast Shark, and that is the undecorated version.

As far the Observation Car, that is quite possible. A lightbulb may have been the culprit. But, I think I'll leave it like that for the time being - if I get surplus time, then maybe I'll fiddle around with patching it up.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 09 2020 :  10:57:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
EBAY HAUL! Won this lot for 40 bucks, shipped, and there are plenty of awesome finds here. I will be going through it soon, and posting more details, however, notable finds include x2 Santa Fe powered F9's / 1 Dummy, 1 flat car with 3 Dodge Cabovers, and x2 Santa Fe Wide-Vision cabooses.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 10 2020 :  01:01:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Sweet pickings!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 10 2020 :  09:03:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
RP, You must have a gazillion F's by now, why not make a custom unit?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 10 2020 :  9:19:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Me, I want a Blaxland!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 10 2020 :  11:03:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
LOL, I might have to some day. Maybe a Bubble Yum or True Value Tyco F9 custom. Someday.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 11 2020 :  09:12:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
Me, I want a Blaxland!

Originally posted by Chops124 - June 10 2020 :  9:19:07 PM

Just wait until my series takes off and I give Bachmann licensing to make locomotives in my RR's Paint scheme. Wait and see...

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - June 11 2020 :  10:46:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Me, I want a Blaxland!

me too but as a boxcar
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 11 2020 :  11:43:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
Me, I want a Blaxland!

me too but as a boxcar

Originally posted by microbusss - June 11 2020 :  10:46:16 AM

Aww, you guys! Maybe I'll make some stuff and sell on the bay. I don't have many junk cars anymore, I need train shows!!

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 11 2020 :  11:44:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
quote:
Me, I want a Blaxland!

me too but as a boxcar

Originally posted by microbusss - June 11 2020 :  10:46:16 AM

Aww, you guys! Maybe I'll make some stuff and sell on the bay. I don't have many junk cars anymore I can do up in the BLRR scheme, I need train shows!!

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - June 11 2020 :  11:43:37 AM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 11 2020 :  10:14:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Went through the Ebay haul tonight.

First off, both powered Tyco Santa Fe F9's work great, however one will need the lightbulb wire soldered back on. The other (seen below) was missing a front coupler, and 1 rear stepladder was like a loose tooth. First off, I replaced the coupler, and then broke off the stepladder and glued it back on with liquid cement. Almost looks like it never broke in the first place!

The dummy F9 unfortunately has a broken nose stepladder, and the rear truck is missing the entire coupler housing. :( That's alright, it does have 2 good couplers and horns, which means I'll use it for parts (as I already have a powered/dummy Tyco Santa Fe F9 set, but wanted some additional Santa Fe F9's in my collection.)

As far as the train cars, most were in good shape. I'll be posting them in future COTW's.

Edited by - RP model railroads on June 11 2020 10:15:53 PM

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 12 2020 :  09:21:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
The parts one could be a great cuuuusttttoooommmm.......

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 12 2020 :  9:09:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
LOL

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 13 2020 :  10:08:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Tried re-soldering the lightbulb wire back on, for 1 of my recently-acquired Santa Fe "Warbonnet" F9's. Did not go as intended. In re-installing the front truck, the wires soldered to the copper contact piece inside the truck came disconnected from the factory (poor) solder job. I tried re-soldering them back into place, but as my soldering gun does not have a long tip, the plastic on the pop-in part of the truck just melted. :( Oh well. It is now classified in the fix or parts list.

This prompted me to get back to work on a stagnant project - restoring this Tyco Spirit of '76 F9. This was actually my 3rd Spirit of '76 F9, and was in need of a shell cleaning, as well as a new bottom plate with coupler-holder for the rear truck, and 2 horns. First up, I wiped it shiny clean with a wet microfiber cloth, and then swapped out the rear truck cover plate from my now-parts Santa Fe F9 to the Spirit of '76 F9. Interestingly enough, I discovered that they were not the same at all. I already knew that with the early Spirit of '76 F9s, Tyco and AHM teamed up and some were made in Austria. This Spirit of 76' F9 was clearly one of them, as you can see in the "Made in Austria" stamped into the bottom of the broken truck cover plate that I removed, vs the bottom plate I pulled from my Tyco Santa Fe F9, as well as the clear AHM design.

I also swapped out the front truck cover plate, so that both would match, and installed "new" horns removed from the dummy parts Santa Fe F9. And with that, my 3rd complete Tyco Spirit of '76 F9 is added to the collection.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 14 2020 :  12:12:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That looks snazzy!

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 14 2020 :  09:18:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I've melted so much plastic with the solder gun.....

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 14 2020 :  10:09:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks Chops.

Yeah Alex, I've made quite a few mistakes with the solder gun myself, but I'm happy with how much I've learned. I went from not even knowing how to reattach a wire, to re-soldering wires in several locomotives, returning them to service.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 15 2020 :  01:08:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
You haven't lived until you dribble hot melted solder on your leg.
I reinvented the break dance.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 15 2020 :  10:09:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
You haven't lived until you dribble hot melted solder on your leg.
I reinvented the break dance.

Originally posted by Chops124 - June 15 2020 :  01:08:04 AM

Oh god, that must have hurt! I can't imagine what moves you were doing!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 24 2020 :  9:58:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Got back to the train table and tried picking out a few locomotives to begin adding in to the collection.....
*Most of these locomotives still need parts, and will remain on the sidelines until they're finished*

Fired up one recent addition, Tyco's 2nd and harder-to-find version of the Virginian ALCO C430 diesel!! A little bit of oil and it was running down the rails once again. Here are some shots of both Virginian C430's, facing each other for a striking pose.

I then turned my attention to this recent find - yet another handrail-less Burlington Route GP20. I got this for cheap, $12 cheap, off of Ebay, simply because it was missing a truck cover on the rear truck. Not a big deal, until I tried putting this locomotive on the tracks and the rear truck just wouldn't align with the track properly. Then I noticed that the rear truck plate was bent pretty bad. I haven't seen anything like this before....

But, it was a simple fix. Just unscrewed the plate, hammered it flat, and re-attached everything. Also, glued on a new truck cover. Success.

Once I get another handrail set, I do plan on handrailing one of my Burlington GP20's, while leaving the other without. Just for looks.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 25 2020 :  12:58:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That is a crazy baseplate. Good luck restoring these
great Tyco classics!

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 25 2020 :  09:08:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Hang on

Send pics of the 4-6-0's smokestack that looks like the NT 4-4-0 stack

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 26 2020 :  10:19:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks guys. Yeah, I have quite a few projects I've been completing lately.

Alex, I'll take a closer look and update you.

My latest project was switching out the shell on my "Blue Bonnet" F9, which was broken on the rear roof, for a new shell. Looks awesome now.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 27 2020 :  08:52:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Very nice, thank you!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 29 2020 :  10:17:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Today, I received the following in the mail. This is AHM's version of the Pola "Old Time Factory" - an identical kit manufactured and also boxed for Tyco. Please see below (both photos credit to original photographers.)

The first photo is the exact kit I bought off of Ebay, and I cracked open the box and assembled it tonight. It took a solid 3 hours to complete, and is quite large....and VERY detailed!! I have to say that Pola truly did an outstanding job with this kit (and not with the instructions) and it is not a surprise a few major HO-Scale manufacturers added this to their kit lines (Tyco and AHM being the main 2.) By the way, AHM did the same thing with some other kits that also were sold under the Tyco name, but made by Pola (the Arlee Station, Coal Mine, and Water Tower kits being just a few.)

Here it is on RETRO TYCO - so glad to have added the Old Time Factory to the layout!!!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 29 2020 :  11:26:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Well that is a curiosity! I would have never guessed the relationship,
but there it is. The AHM kit appears to have an almost roller coaster
like ramp, while the Tyco picture appears, like your built AHM kit, a
flatter incline. I couldn't tell from the photo of the Tyco, does the
Tyco have the timber framing as the AHM kit?

A remarkable addition, but I am still drooling over that stockyard
kit, what with the windmill it is really a beauty.

I just noticed these are two entirely different paint schemes for the same road
and locomotive. Another home run for the Tyco Museum!

Edited by - Chops124 on June 29 2020 11:38:36 PM

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 30 2020 :  08:20:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
That factory is awesome. It would look right at home on an industrial set.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 30 2020 :  5:45:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Agreed, Alex!

Chops, the Tyco Kit and the AHM kit were essentially the same thing - and yes, the Tyco one does show the timber framing on the same sides as the AHM kit. The ramp in the AHM kit does look a little more at an incline than what is shown in the Tyco box photo, and it is also seen to have railings....none came with the kit. So there is some slight differences in the box art, but the kits themselves are supposed to have been exactly the same.

UPDATE:

I always dreamed of owning the Tyco Coal Mine....just because the design looked so realistic, and as it turns out, the same kit was produced by Pola and sold by Tyco, AHM, and others. Well, I finally found a reasonable price on one, still mint in a rather damaged box, for 35 bucks off of Ebay recently, and tonight I spent around 4 hours assembling it, as most of the parts were delicate and difficult to glue. But, I feel my hard work paid off. It looks AWESOME, and is HUGE!! I am truly shocked at the complexity and realism of this Tyco Kit.

I'm going to allow the liquid cement to fully cure, and tomorrow after work, I plan on taking it down to the train room and attempting to fit it on RETRO TYCO. The Coal Mine has room for 2 tracks to run underneath it, however, due to its size, I may not even be able to place it on the layout - in any case, it is an awesome Tyco kit and I'll definitely keep it fully assembled for display.

Edited by - RP model railroads on June 30 2020 10:39:31 PM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 01 2020 :  12:28:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
if anyone wants this
Its a Faller kit still made
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 01 2020 :  08:35:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I'm becoming the buss for these buildings! WANT IT!!!

I'd paint the coal grey and tan for rocks and turn it into a quarry building. The Blaxland's main source of revenue comes from the quarry at Hypoluxo.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 02 2020 :  5:55:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Didn't know that Busss...makes sense, as it does kinda look like a Faller kit.

Alex, I totally recommend this kit, not for being easy to build (quite the contrary) but for its realism. It's awesome.

Yesterday night I managed to fit the Coal Mine on RETRO TYCO - to my surprise, it would only adequately fit in one place on the entire layout - the front-right corner, near the Clementine Gold Mine & Lighted Freight Station. I did, unfortunately, have to trim up some of the "wooden" plastic legs on the left side of the mine, for clearance of the inner line, however, what I've removed, I'm going to re-glue in such a way where the original "feel" of the legs will still be present. Overall, I'm just happy it fit on the layout, and being a layout devoted to Tyco, sometimes, you've gotta be a little unrealistic.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 02 2020 :  6:09:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Looks great!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 03 2020 :  9:56:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks Alex! Will be working over the weekend on re-gluing some pieces of plastic "wooden" framing to the left side of the coal mine, so stay tuned.

Regarding that ATSF 4-6-0....turns out the wrong stack is glued on, from the previous owner. Great. So now I need the right stack and boiler cover.....

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 03 2020 :  11:54:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I think I have a spare straight stack, lmk.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 04 2020 :  08:44:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Yep, that's the NT 4-4-0 stack. If chops has a straight one, you could sent it to him. I wonder why someone would glue that on, unless they had a NT 4--4-0 in pieces...

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 04 2020 :  6:28:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
No clue, but being a Tyco Purist, that is driving me crazy now.

Chops, I'm interested. PM me pls.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 05 2020 :  2:48:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Ooops, it's a Bachmann. Still interested?

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 05 2020 :  11:01:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Ooops, it's a Bachmann. Still interested?

Originally posted by Chops124-July 05 2020: 2:48:57 PM

Nope.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 06 2020 :  9:37:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
I got this Tyco Pipe Unloader accessory (manual) from a junk bin on the floor at Nicholas Smith Train & Toy Shop, for just $2. I bought it on a whim, hoping everything was there. Sure enough, it was, and nothing was broken either. A true steal.

Unfortunately, the previous owner applied the stickers in the wrong place, and upon trying to peel off the 30+ year old stickers, they disintegrated. :( Oh well, for the price, I still can't beat getting a 2nd Pipe Unloader for RETRO TYCO. This one I placed on the outer line of the layout!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 13 2020 :  10:33:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Recently, I watched this listing for a pair of Tyco Union Pacific F9's (powered/dummy), which was already at a good price. After about a week, the seller sent me an offer for $15, and I couldn't resist. I really only needed the dummy UP F9, which would go along with my powered UP F9 - the "no-steps" variant - I've had, but at the price, I decided to keep the other powered F9 which was sold along with the dummy.

Image credit to Ebay seller

As I knew from the listing, it was missing 1 rear stepladder (completely gone) and needed a new truck cover. Luckily, I had a derelict Tyco Union Pacific F9 shell in my parts cart. So I just broke off one of the stepladders from the junk shell and glued it on to the locomotive. I also installed a new truck cover and weight. Successfully restored, somewhat.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 14 2020 :  10:24:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Paint looks to be in pretty bad shape...

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 14 2020 :  4:09:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3-July 14 2020: 10:24:04 AM

Yeah, a few dings, but not bad overall. I'll upload photos of the whole thing later on....

The paint has the scars of many years of enjoyment. Well, it will finally be able to retire, into the pleasure of the RETRO TYCO collection.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 15 2020 :  04:55:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Looking at your videos, again, RP, I think you use Win 10, those
vids are all full screen, while my vids have a huge black
margin, making it about half screen, erasing a lot of detail.
Do you use a particular setting to achieve full screen?

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - July 15 2020 :  08:30:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Chops, when I used to use Windows Movie Maker, I had a camera that produced video in AVI format. If I would take in all AVI clips, the movie would fill the whole frame, but if I used the output of Movie Maker (in WMV format), it would be letter boxed.

I'm using MS Photo, now, and taking in either AVI from my old camera or MP4 from the new one and producing MP4 output. Photo allows you to choose the aspect ratio for output, and I have to match that to the input or it will have letter box the image within the frame to deal with the mismatch.

I suspect that with all your transfers and edits, you have mismatches in the aspect ratios of the input image and the output edited movie, probably twice where your stuff has black margins all around. You may want to see if your editing software has settings for output aspect ratio so you can match it to the input from the camera.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 15 2020 :  08:46:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3-July 14 2020: 10:24:04 AM

Yeah, a few dings, but not bad overall. I'll upload photos of the whole thing later on....

The paint has the scars of many years of enjoyment. Well, it will finally be able to retire, into the pleasure of the RETRO TYCO collection.

Originally posted by RP model railroads - July 14 2020 :  4:09:42 PM

A happy ending...

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 15 2020 :  3:58:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Yeah, Chops, I use Windows Movie Maker to edit my videos before uploading them to YouTube, and never encountered such issues.

I totally recommend Windows Movie Maker - you can download it free from Microsoft's website, and it offers quite a bit of editing opportunities.

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: RETRO TYCO updates & My Tyco Collection Tour Topic Next Topic: My NEW N-Scale Layout  
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000