Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 36 ]  [ Total: 36 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Identification Station
 Whodunnit: Southern RR Streamline Caboose?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Lima Passenger Set Topic Next Topic: Eh?  

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - November 18 2009 :  11:48:11 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Found this for $2 at Allentown. Does anyone know who released this and when?

It's not a direct Tyco release: the Roller-bearing trucks are the first clue, and the chassis is not marked. Now, some Rock Island, Chattanooga, "689", and Virginian cabeese as found in Tyco sets were equipped with RB trucks, but these were late sets when much of the tooling (what IHC and/or Mantua didn't get) was given to Mehano, and Mehano began production.

I thought maybe the rare "King Coal" and Southern RR "Casey Jones" sets might have used this, but those were from 1982 and 1983 (before Mehano outsourcing began in earnest) and pictured with a red caboose.

Unlike other clones, there is NO marking on the bottom! No Pemco, AHM, CTC, Mehano, "Made in Whererever" or ANYTHING to identify where it came from and why. The spot where this is usually located, is completely factory-blanked out.

I will say the overall paint quality gives the impression of an older release, being flat paint with "spongy" applied graphics. Also the brakewheel is still separate on a separately-cast stand; Tyco changed their tooling to a flat, single part with the brakewheel and ladder cast into the end railing.

So... whodunnit?

Edited by - GoingInCirclez on November 18 2009 11:52:53 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator 

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - November 19 2009 :  11:27:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
I got a RI clone in a box lot at the last show and wondered who it was sold by. I think it had CTC on it.
I have a few others that came in IHC sets, I'll have to check the bottoms of them for markings.
It would be nice to figure out how to ID these clone cars.
I've noticed a couple different rollerbearing truck designs on them.

Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - November 20 2009 :  8:05:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
I'm pretty sure that's an IHC issued Southern Streamline Cupola Caboose. I have noted the origin area on the underframe of some IHC re-issues is blanked out.
Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
http://ho-scaletrains.net
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1658  ~  Member Since: December 03 2005  ~  Last Visit: February 07 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - November 20 2009 :  9:11:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
I bought this for I think $3 at a hobby shop. It came in a very small box and it has the same "nonTyco" trucks and short smoke stack. This one says Made in Slovenia on the bottom. I thought I would repaint it to match a loco.

Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - November 23 2009 :  2:47:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
quote:
I'm pretty sure that's an IHC issued Southern Streamline Cupola Caboose. I have noted the origin area on the underframe of some IHC re-issues is blanked out.

Originally posted by Tony Cook-November 20 2009: 8:05:18 PM

Huh, I never realized IHC got a Streamline caboose too. Knew they had the Wide-Vision one. But now that you mention it, that Corky's train had a streamline IIRC. Guess that settles it then. Thanks!

It's a nice scheme, would look great with one of the steamers I have to fix.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - November 23 2009 :  7:31:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
Uh bedee, uh bedee, uh bedee uh, did somebody say Corkey?

Edited by - shaygetz on November 23 2009 7:32:04 PM
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - March 16 2024 :  3:33:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Not easy to find.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5897  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Lima Passenger Set Topic Next Topic: Eh?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000