Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 24 ]  [ Total: 24 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW Dec. 25 - 31, 2022
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW Jan 08-14, 2023 Topic Next Topic: LOTW Dec 18 to 24, 2022  

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - December 27 2022 :  4:40:02 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
My LOTW is this MDC Old Timer Consolidation. I got it as some broken parts with many missing and pieced together something that works. It didn't have a tender, so it runs with a borrowed Mantua switch engine tender. I got it cheap to cannibalize for parts, but then decided to do something with the leftovers.

It usually runs on the Mussentuchit Transfer, because the motor is in rough shape, I don't know how many miles are left in it, and the transfer run is short and infrequent. I've lately been trying it on way freights, though, and it's been working out fairly well in that job. I think I'll be watching out for another of these at future swap meets.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2354  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2024 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 29 2022 :  06:46:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Marvelous shot from a marvelous layout. Truly an alternate universe

First gen steam slogs over the bridge and over the vale to Grandmother's house.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11195  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - December 29 2022 :  10:00:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Chops, I like that engine. There's a full-size version of it at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania in Strasburg.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2354  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 29 2022 :  12:48:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Chops, I like that engine. There's a full-size version of it at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania in Strasburg.

Originally posted by scsshaggy - December 29 2022 :  10:00:15 AM

yes & the real one is at the Smithsonian
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 30 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 30 2022 :  11:44:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by scsshaggy - December 29 2022 :  10:00:15 AM

Thanks, Shags. First Gen steam is amazing. These guys were taking iron ingots and raw wood and making
stuff with so little prior information. I can scarcely grasp their level of intelligence to assemble these
pioneers of rail.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11195  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - January 01 2023 :  3:41:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
I would tend to agree with that statement. Necessity is often the mother of invention, and the B&O in particular had some unique solutions to their motive power problems.

That said, as a modeller, I find I like turn of the century steam the best. It is small enough to run well on 18 inch curves, and train lengths were short so the lack of pulling power is less of an issue. But if you get the right ones..... I have an MDC old time 2-8-0 similar to whan shaggy has. It is a dead ringer for a locomotive on one of tthe Western Maryland predecessors where it earned its keep pulling coal trains up 3% grades. The model can actually pull 12 cars up my 4% grade! That;s probably better than the real one could do.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 485  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: LOTW Jan 08-14, 2023 Topic Next Topic: LOTW Dec 18 to 24, 2022  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000