Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 The 4'x8' Layout Project
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Progress on the layout Topic Next Topic: How to Spot the Loch Ness Monster  

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 31 2021 :  2:53:15 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Since late last year when I picked-up this 4'x8' layout and other train stuff, for Free, from someone 15-20 minutes away from me, I've been thinking about what exactly to do.

Today, I took some time to seriously think and develop a track plan. Below is the final result.

In short, this layout (name yet TBD) will still be old-school HO, with 2 separate lines - the outer line being a simple oval, while the inner line will be entirely elevated, with 2 bridges, 2 sidings, and 1 inside-loop. Below is a 3-D rendering that does a much better job showing what I have planned.

Also, I've decided to use E-Z style track on this layout, to (hopefully) have an easier track laying and train running experience, compared to using used old brass-rail track which I've done on both the EVRR and RETRO TYCO.

The only progress I've made so far is removing all the track, to have a clear layout for when I begin construction.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 01 2021 :  12:08:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Hah, hah, hah! I thought I was bad! Your Train Cave is filling up like
mine. I always like building stuff. I like your elevated loop. I am trying
to do that on Mormon's Gulch, but am having trouble getting the
undertrack support to even out properly.

I've used EZ Track, and liked it, it saves a lot of headaches and the trains
functioned a lot better. As you know any little warp that develops over time
on any wooden surface can lead to the most difficult to detect derailment
problems. EZ track compensates for those micro changes in temperature
and humidity. I stopped using it only because it would limit the kinds of
twists and turns I wanted.

Food for thought: since you have eight feet to work with, consider
taking that straight shot and making it into a gentle S. I discovered,
too late for Armodilloville and Henley, that a train winding around
a bend is more visually interesting than an arrow straight shot.
Just something to consider.

Or...what if you grafted on EVRR to it for an L, or a 4 x12...

Or...it's been said that a 4x8 is a waste of space. Not saying yours is!!
Just for the sake of discussion, it is said that a 4x8 is really a 6 x 10
in disguise, because that is how much real estate you need to get
around it.

What if...you created an extension to the EVRR using the 4x8 as a
series of 2x8's looping back to rejoin the EVRR.

BTW, have you had a chance to scope out some of the published track plans for EZ track?
Some are quite intriguing, especially if you'd like to change it up a little.

A fresh sheet of plywood looks like a blank canvas to guys like us. I will be most eager to
see what you create.

Edited by - Chops124 on February 01 2021 12:56:21 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 01 2021 :  10:11:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
It is indeed.

I could do that, but the 4x8 is already way higher than the EVRR is....but I'll keep thinking, as I'm not going to rush this project.

We'll see.....

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - February 02 2021 :  1:07:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Looks good for the future. Enjoy your project Robert.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5878  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 02 2021 :  9:41:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Go Cat, go! 😃. But I’ve said many times before, I’ll say it again, the EVRR is
a very special layout because it is a micro layout that demonstrates what can be
done in a small area. That, and the Moose Jaw RR. Micro layouts, from what
I’ve seen, are much more common in Britain, and Europe in general, because
space is at a premium. So, not changing up the EVRR, I get that.

Edited by - Chops124 on February 02 2021 9:47:20 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Progress on the layout Topic Next Topic: How to Spot the Loch Ness Monster  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000