Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 17 ]  [ Total: 17 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 Progress on the layout
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Steel Mill and Layout Topic Next Topic: The 4''x8'' Layout Project  

thetramp
Big Six

tramp

Posted - April 26 2015 :  10:20:43 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add thetramp to Buddylist
I have been building this layout for a year and a half. It is a 4 X 6. I would like it larger but is all the room I have in the house. I work on it a while than stop for a while and just think what will look good. The inner circle is independent from outer circle. I can run two trains at the same time.

Edited by - thetramp on April 26 2015 10:22:40 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 338  ~  Member Since: February 08 2013  ~  Last Visit: January 27 2019 Alert Moderator 

Switcher

ErieAvatar

Posted - April 26 2015 :  10:41:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 12444 to Buddylist
quote:
I have been building this layout for a year and a half. It is a 4 X 6. I would like it larger but is all the room I have in the house. I work on it a while than stop for a while and just think what will look good. The inner circle is independent from outer circle. I can run two trains at the same time.

Originally posted by thetramp - April 26 2015 :  10:20:43 AM

Nice little layout! Looks good.

I'm home schooled, I love to work on cars and anything with an engine and wheels, I love model RR'ing, and listening to Dire Straits.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 43  ~  Member Since: November 19 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 30 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - April 26 2015 :  12:17:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
That looks pretty fun Frank. I know what you mean about sitting and looking at times and imagining what might be next. That is a good idea having the two separate lines to run two trains. I also like the hills or bluffs (versus a tunnel); still a good illusion of the train disappearing for a spell.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - April 26 2015 :  5:18:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
That's a fun little layout with lots of good scenery packed in, very well done, you have a nice touch with that! Nothing seems out of place or haphazard , it all blends in so well, your taking time to think things through seems to be working. My 4x4 is still a a work in progress, not much ground cover yet, just cars, trucks, some buildings, and trains. But I can operate on it at least. Thanks for sharing yours.

Jerry in VA

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thetramp
Big Six

tramp

Posted - April 26 2015 :  5:37:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thetramp to Buddylist
Thanks guys, I appreciate the good comments. I have some more pictures to post of things I have done after these were taken. I tried different buildings where the blue building is and settled on a general store. The gravel parking lots were done with the material used to soak up oil off of cement floors. Some call it cat litter. I got a bag from work and strained it into small, medium and large sizes. I didn't know what to use for the roads. I was going to use gravel for a country town but decided on just black paint.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 338  ~  Member Since: February 08 2013  ~  Last Visit: January 27 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 27 2015 :  7:41:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
She may be small, but she be a gem. Love that brass
rail and the level of detail you have built up. I'd gander
at this all day as opposed to something in the glossy rags-
which I could never afford, and could never accomplish.
This, to me, is a piece of American Folk Art, and I love it.
Does it reflect, in any of its parts, a particular memory
or experience in your life? All of my layouts, big or small,
have reflected a time, a mood, or a place that I experienced.

I will be getting some photos out, hopefully this week,
of my Autumn-Winter layout soon, and it is barely 3.5 x
3.5 and it runs. This piece reflects the transition of my life-
I am well into Fall of my life, and the Winter of my life,
is just around the bend- and it reflects the New England landscapes
I grew up in and loved so well.

If you can, I'd love to see that layout filmed
close up. You can do it with any phone or camera
these days, and then upload it to YouTube, add
some music, make it "public" and then simply
copy and paste the link (under "real time url.)"

Edited by - Chops124 on April 27 2015 7:49:15 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thetramp
Big Six

tramp

Posted - April 27 2015 :  8:04:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thetramp to Buddylist
Thanks Chops. I love old cars. That 59 Ford reminds me of the one I drove is '64. It was a midnight blue 4 door with fender skirts, lowered back end and spinners. Somewhere I have a picture of that car. The memories I made in that car! In '62 I was driving a '51 chevy half ton pickup. Yea, some memories.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 338  ~  Member Since: February 08 2013  ~  Last Visit: January 27 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - April 27 2015 :  10:24:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I think it's a gem because it's small. In a 4x6 layout, there's a 2-track main and enough spur tracks on one of the mains to make for some operational possibilities. This baby proves that good things can come in small packages.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - April 27 2015 :  11:27:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
That is one beautiful layout. Just shows what you can do in such little space with H0.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thetramp
Big Six

tramp

Posted - April 28 2015 :  10:38:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thetramp to Buddylist
A couple of more pictures.

Took the blue building off and tried a gas station.

Junk pile of railroad parts.

Chruch & grave yard.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 30 2015 :  12:43:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Nice close ups. The angle makes the thing look huge!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - April 30 2015 :  7:13:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Nice Frank. I like that middle photo with the tracks going off in the distance.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thetramp
Big Six

tramp

Posted - April 30 2015 :  8:28:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thetramp to Buddylist
Thanks Chops & Barry. I will be posting more pics as I have made some progress after these pics were taken.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 30 2015 :  10:39:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
just a suggestion
You might want to put up a fence between the cemetary & the railroad
I'd do wrought iron fence
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thetramp
Big Six

tramp

Posted - June 28 2015 :  2:23:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thetramp to Buddylist
After resurfacing the road and adding the country store, here are some more pics.

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - June 28 2015 :  3:40:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
That is looking GREAT tramp

Really like that General Store, and it pulls the whole scene together - nice focal point of interest

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thetramp
Big Six

tramp

Posted - June 28 2015 :  3:51:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thetramp to Buddylist
Thanks Jerry. I appreciate the comment.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - February 06 2021 :  4:56:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Originally posted years ago by "the tramp".

Very nice country store model.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Steel Mill and Layout Topic Next Topic: The 4''x8'' Layout Project  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000