Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 AIRBRUSH - PAINT COMING OUT TOO FINE - PLEASE HELP
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Mantua Driver Swap Topic Next Topic: Building  

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 04 2020 :  4:01:11 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
So I finally fired up that airbrush, and it's actually very easy to learn and use, but I cant figure out how to get the paint to come out less fine. When I spray it comes out in a very fine spray. Is this normal, or am I just too used to the wide spray of a spray can?

I have that Harbor freight Central Pneumatic Deluxe Airbrush.
It's a suction feed, and like I said, it works fine, just a little too fine

Thanks!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator 

southwestforests
Switcher

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - April 04 2020 :  4:06:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add southwestforests to Buddylist
Airbrushes have different tips/needles/nozzles generally rated with names like fine, medium, wide, & most airbrush bodies can be fitted with any one of those as they are interchangeable within that brand and model of airbrush. They are typically labeled on the box which one they were sent from factory with.

And, yes, some of the fine tips are fine enough to sign your checks with.

“There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good.” — Tom Mueller, SpaceX, 2012
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 94  ~  Member Since: May 23 2017  ~  Last Visit: May 26 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 04 2020 :  5:31:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
Airbrushes have different tips/needles/nozzles generally rated with names like fine, medium, wide, & most airbrush bodies can be fitted with any one of those as they are interchangeable within that brand and model of airbrush. They are typically labeled on the box which one they were sent from factory with.

And, yes, some of the fine tips are fine enough to sign your checks with.

Originally posted by southwestforests - April 04 2020 :  4:06:03 PM

Thing is, mine didnt come with any. They said in the instructions, for fine operation, remove the protective cap. The protective cap only had four little slots in it, so I didnt think keeping it on would make any paint come out. I will try putting it on tomorrow.

I think I've just got to find the correct psi and paint formula. Sometimes it seems to work, sometimes it doesn't.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

southwestforests
Switcher

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - April 04 2020 :  6:48:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add southwestforests to Buddylist
quote:
I think I've just got to find the correct psi and paint formula.
Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - April 04 2020 :  5:31:09 PM

Yep, that is a big factor. And it is different for every paint brand & even different between flat and gloss paint of same brand. Sometimes even a little bit different between colors.
I've never airbrushed enamels but have used several brand of acrylics, Tamiya, Polly Scale, Testors Acryl.
Have a few colors from newer brands of acrylics but haven't yet gotten around to the projects requiring them.

Right now the most I can tell anyone is that gloss paints require more thinning than flat or semigloss;
my brain just isn't coming up with a starting point for % thinner to paint other than with gloss it was often 40% thinner to paint.

My own paint thinning eventually ended up not being number based, but rather adding a little thinner at a time until, "When it drips like that off the blue paintbrush it is about right"

“There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good.” — Tom Mueller, SpaceX, 2012
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 94  ~  Member Since: May 23 2017  ~  Last Visit: May 26 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 05 2020 :  09:09:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
I think I've just got to find the correct psi and paint formula.
Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - April 04 2020 :  5:31:09 PM

Yep, that is a big factor. And it is different for every paint brand & even different between flat and gloss paint of same brand. Sometimes even a little bit different between colors.
I've never airbrushed enamels but have used several brand of acrylics, Tamiya, Polly Scale, Testors Acryl.
Have a few colors from newer brands of acrylics but haven't yet gotten around to the projects requiring them.

Right now the most I can tell anyone is that gloss paints require more thinning than flat or semigloss;
my brain just isn't coming up with a starting point for % thinner to paint other than with gloss it was often 40% thinner to paint.

My own paint thinning eventually ended up not being number based, but rather adding a little thinner at a time until, "When it drips like that off the blue paintbrush it is about right"

Originally posted by southwestforests - April 04 2020 :  6:48:01 PM

I'm using acrylics, and they are not gloss. Is there any way to compare the consistency the paint should be to something else? (E.g. The paint should be as thin as milk.) Idk

I looked around a bit and was thinking of seeing if there are any other nozzles I can get that may be compatible.
The paint I was going to use is a bit old as well. Was going to journey out into the world to Walmart to get some blues and whites, or just get some specialized airbrush paint off eBay.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Crown Vic
Little Six

Posted - April 05 2020 :  10:36:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Crown Vic to Buddylist
I had the Harbor Freight airbrush as my first one. It's possible to get a decent paint job out of one but this is truly a case of you get what you pay for. After it finally crapped out, I got an inexpensive Paasche brush for around $20 or so. Well worth it.

I use acrylics too, mostly Badger Modelflex.

Yes, your paint should be the consistency of skim milk. Airbrushes do not like lumpy paint either, any hardened paint particles in the jar will ruin your day.

Air pressure is a biggie, and it seems like everyone has their favorite setting. All I can say is experiment with different settings as well as nozzle settings. There is never a hard fast setting to keep it on, it will change with the colors.

Don't forget to clean, clean, clean. A dirty nozzle (internally) will ruin your day too.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 101  ~  Member Since: June 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

bitlerisvj
Switcher

Posted - April 05 2020 :  1:56:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bitlerisvj to Buddylist
I think your problem is the brush is getting clogged with "large" particulates and therefore preventing the correct amount of paint getting out. I have successfully used acrylics with an airbrush for years, but in my early usage, I too experienced this issue. Here are some tips on what helped me.
1. Make sure the brush is clean. I use Windex to get it clean. But if there is dried paint, acetone or lacquer thinner can be used to clean it up.
2. I thin the paint with distilled water, just a few drops into the paint cup and then add the paint. I stir it with a toothpick.
3. I decant the paint into the paint cup through a screen. It doesn't have to be a very fine screen. I made one from a loop of coat hanger wire and I added a handle. The loop should be about the same size as the paint cup. I just used some discarded window screen and used super glue to adhere it.
4. For acrylics I adjust the pressure to between 25 and 30 psi. This sounds high, but acrylics seem to need more than lacquer does.
5. I also run Windex between colors. If you use the Windex right away, it does a great job of cleaning the brush.
Good luck and regards, Vic B.

Vic Bitleris
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 55  ~  Member Since: May 08 2013  ~  Last Visit: February 20 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 05 2020 :  2:30:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Thanks for all the great tips. This was my first go at it right out of the box so the airbrush was spic and span.

I'll check my paint consistency. Looks like rain today, so no painting, maybe tomorrow.

I will keep windex in mind for future uses, thanks!
  Previous Topic: Mantua Driver Swap Topic Next Topic: Building  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000