Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 20 ]  [ Total: 21 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Mantua Driver Swap
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Last One...??? Amtrak MoW E60CP Topic Next Topic: AIRBRUSH - PAINT COMING OUT TOO FINE - PLEASE HELP  

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - April 12 2020 :  7:37:51 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
I own a Mantua 2-10-0 and never cared for how it looks. Has anyone reefer swapped in drivers from a 0-4-0/0-6-0? I think a lower driver height would look better than the taller drivers. Especially since one goes behind the fire box. Bluh! I'm sure I'll have to modify or swap the side rods as well. It's essentially a 2-8-2 with a added driver to the very back of the frame so the drivers are from a 2-8-2.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator 

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 12 2020 :  7:43:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Hmm, yeah, it does look pretty ugly. The small drivers do give me an idea. Maybe with a possible boiler swap with a smaller diameter boiler, you could make a Frisco 2-10-0. I havent done this before, but I assume it would be pretty straightforward, just swapping them out.

Give it a shot, let me know how it goes!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - April 12 2020 :  10:34:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
The side rods are keyed to the distance between the drivers, not their size, so if you plan to just drop the smaller drivers in the same frame, you should be fine with the old side rods. On the other hand, if you plan to move the drivers closer together, you'd have to change both the frame and the side rods.

Using smaller wheels would change the height, so the pilot would probably ride too low, and the drawbar and cab probably wouldn't line up the same with the tender, so some modification would be in order there, too.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2356  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 13 2020 :  06:53:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Well I like it the way Mantua made it. It has a USRA, B&O family look about it. Mine needs a Ashley shop rebuild but will remain a decapod.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on April 13 2020 12:31:29 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - April 14 2020 :  01:16:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
I have thought about re-shaping the fire box some and a cab swap to give it the Downhill and Rock Bottom look. I haven't decided yet.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 14 2020 :  08:19:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
I have thought about re-shaping the fire box some and a cab swap to give it the Downhill and Rock Bottom look. I haven't decided yet.

Originally posted by Redneck Justin - April 14 2020 :  01:16:29 AM

I like the sound of that!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Last One...??? Amtrak MoW E60CP Topic Next Topic: AIRBRUSH - PAINT COMING OUT TOO FINE - PLEASE HELP  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000