Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Athearn Motive Power & Rolling Stock.
 Ernst Gears and Hustlers
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Are those old Athearn rubber band drives good? Topic Next Topic: Athearn SW/1500  

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - February 14 2015 :  8:31:35 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
I bought a later Blue box Athearn Hustler today with the Ernst Gears. Seems the gears are very tight. Did make a few minor adjustments. How well does it perform? I've heard about them being trouble and it seems as if the arms for the gears have a little play and loose.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator 

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - February 14 2015 :  11:41:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
I've heard that the fit inside is a "pressure" fit, the shell holds the gears in place somehow. It's a technical improvement,but it's also a touchy physical adjustment, from what I heard. I "think" I bought one already with the Earnst gears in it, but I have no idea where it is, and never tried it after I got it. Good luck with your unit.

Jerry in VA
working on Fleischmann engines tonight...

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - August 07 2015 :  10:43:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
I have a Hustler with the Ernst gearing and it runs well although it sounds like a coffee grinder with all the gear noise. I also have a Hustler with a North West Short line SPUD power truck which is quieter but is a more sensitive to dead spots and insulated frogs. Either of these upgrades is an improvement over the original Hustler mechanism.
Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - August 07 2015 :  11:57:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
I like mine...takes a bit of fiddling, but not much, and it works well in DCC.

Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - August 09 2015 :  11:54:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
Mine works great and has been solid reliable for several years. After you get it set up and running you will be rewarded with a useful little switcher that has some pretty terrific pulling power for its size.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - August 27 2015 :  11:22:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
The only real problem with the Ernst kit is that it only fits the ones with Jet and gold motors. My Hustler is an old one with the silver motor, so I had to come up with my own system. It's now powered with NWSL Flea and transfer gearboxes and a coreless motor and runs great.

By the way, there is now a Bull Ant truck made specifically for the Hustler, and I think it fits all versions!

Darth Santa Fe, doing weird and challenging projects for the fun of it!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - August 28 2015 :  07:54:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
darth thanks for the mention of the bull ant hustler,noticed they also do a few others,will be trying at least one
http://www.hollywoodfoundry.com/Hustler.htm
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - August 28 2015 :  11:15:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
darth thanks for the mention of the bull ant hustler,noticed they also do a few others,will be trying at least one

Originally posted by catfordken - August 28 2015 :  07:54:53 AM

That's an interesting site. Looks like great products. A bit pricey but I suppose you get what you pay for.

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - August 28 2015 :  2:46:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
I may get one and try it out.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - August 29 2015 :  11:30:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
I just watched the video. The gear noise on that HF drive is awful! I thought the Hustler I repowered with an Ernst kit was bad due to vibration from the stock gold motor, but it's quiet compared to that. They should have used a belt.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - August 30 2015 :  04:05:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
They supply a piece of nylon or something to quiet it. Shell makes the sound echo.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - September 01 2015 :  08:16:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Sweet conversion. I'm going to look into it for a future acquisition. Thanks for posting the link.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - September 07 2015 :  11:05:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
quote:
I just watched the video. The gear noise on that HF drive is awful! I thought the Hustler I repowered with an Ernst kit was bad due to vibration from the stock gold motor, but it's quiet compared to that. They should have used a belt.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - August 29 2015 :  11:30:08 PM

HF also offers belt drives on the standard drive units. I don't see the option on the Hustler drive page, but I'm sure it can be requested.

The gear noise in the video is also amplified by the plastic roadbed tacked down to the wood sheet. Back when I was using some Bachmann E-Z track as a temporary setup on the surface of my layout (foam board glued to OSB), everything was easily more than twice as loud as it is now with cork roadbed! That hollow plastic roadbed may be convenient, but it is terrible for noise.

Edited by - Darth Santa Fe on September 07 2015 11:08:10 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - September 07 2015 :  12:11:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
No kidding Darth! And to think people use that stuff to build a whole layout!

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - September 20 2015 :  02:39:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
quote:

HF also offers belt drives on the standard drive units. I don't see the option on the Hustler drive page, but I'm sure it can be requested.

Originally posted by Darth Santa Fe - September 07 2015 :  11:05:00 AM

That's good to know. It's a beautifully built drive, but a Hobbytown-style gear tower inside a small plastic shell on a rigid metal frame is going to be amplified. They've clearly tried to keep it to a minimum with a plastic idler and helical teeth.

The EZ Track test loop I have definitely makes my noisy units sound worse, but they are still noisy on a softer medium. Maybe this would quiet down with run time or gear lapping.

I'd definitely inquire about the belt option were I considering one.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

bitlerisvj
Switcher

Posted - September 21 2015 :  3:22:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bitlerisvj to Buddylist
quote:
I like mine...takes a bit of fiddling, but not much, and it works well in DCC.

Originally posted by shaygetz - August 07 2015 :  11:57:51 PM

I really like this one.
Can you tell us a little bit about this conversion please. It looks fairly straightforward, but it would be good to know what kind of wheels/gears plus motor/worm unit it is from.
Thanks and regards, Vic B.

Vic Bitleris
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 55  ~  Member Since: May 08 2013  ~  Last Visit: February 20 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - September 22 2015 :  12:53:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
I believe that one's the Accurate Lighting/Helix Humper conversion?

pacbelt
Switcher

LIRRDashingAvatar

Posted - October 01 2015 :  6:40:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add pacbelt to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by catfordken - August 28 2015 :  07:54:53 AM

That is FASCINATING!!! $62.41 American. It's a lot to put into a Hustler, but I may do it, for the smoothness, extra power, and just the "fascination factor"!!

Digging farther into his website, he's got most of the Mashima motor line, with ALL measurements (unlike other sellers!!!), for repowering projects.

Carmine - CEO, Engineer, and Chief Bottle Washer
Pacific Belt RR, in HO Scale, Since 1975!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 82  ~  Member Since: September 27 2015  ~  Last Visit: October 26 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Are those old Athearn rubber band drives good? Topic Next Topic: Athearn SW/1500  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000