Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 14 ]  [ Total: 15 ]  [ Newest Member: Bski1969 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Finished Akane Cab Forward
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic: Salvaged,rebuilt,custom and kitbash projects.  

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - July 20 2014 :  11:37:02 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
A couple months back, I picked up an Akane 4-8-8-2 Cab Forward at a train show. The mounting points were broken, the motor had a broken winding, and it had an awful paint job.

The paint was all brushed, and the yellow and blue were so heavy that all of the details were covered! Stripping it all off took some work...

Looks a lot better! I managed to repair the Akane motor, and it's a very good runner, but I like top end coreless in my brass.

The new Faulhaber motor is a fantastic runner, and barely draws any current at all! I'm sure I'll find a use for the Akane motor eventually since it is a good runner. I also replaced the stock marker lights, since they looked awful. And now, I've finally got it all painted and finished!

I think it turned out great! The smokebox and the band on the firebox are painted with a blend of Scalecoat II black and silver, and I made the firebox paint darker since that's how the prototypes often were from what I've found (went through tons of photos to be sure!). The only problem is that the Microscale number board decals were slightly too large, so I had to leave the "X" off the beginning of the top front numbers for them to fit.

To make it run on my 22" radius, I had to make a longer steam pipe to the articulated engine. It was difficult, but I think I've finally got it running really well on my layout. If I can ever get a room or basement for a larger layout, I'll certainly be running this one on larger curves, because it barely handles the 22" radius even with the new steam pipe!

According to the build certificate in the box, this one was made on November 13th, 1961. It's held up well!

Darth Santa Fe, doing weird and challenging projects for the fun of it!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator 

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - July 20 2014 :  11:56:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Wow! Really nice!! Massive size! Love it!! Great job !
Walt

Luck, usually comes dressed in work clothes...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JRG1951
Big Boy

Old_Guy

Posted - July 21 2014 :  12:07:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send JRG1951 a Yahoo! Message  Add JRG1951 to Buddylist
I agree,
You do great work.
Regards, John
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 886  ~  Member Since: January 11 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - July 21 2014 :  12:36:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
I agree with all of you guys. That thing looks just like the prototype at the museum.Okay, not that good but it still looks very nice.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - July 21 2014 :  11:23:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
A beautiful model. Great work!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: May 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

babuff
Little Six

AHMLogoAvatar

Posted - July 21 2014 :  6:18:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add babuff to Buddylist
fantastic work as always darth. it is a true labor of love

Leo
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 185  ~  Member Since: April 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 30 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - July 22 2014 :  9:25:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
That is a truly impressive transformation of a truly impressive piece of classic brass. Very nicely done, darth!
--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - July 23 2014 :  11:42:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Dayyyyyyyyyymmn
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3324  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 08 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - July 23 2014 :  2:50:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
NICE WORK! Great stuff!!!

Do you have any more in process pictures?

I love to see vintage brass models (& die cast models for that matter) getting a new lease on life. Great Job! Well done!!

I have an Akane 4-8-8-2 Cab Forward as well... Pretty much needs to be restored too!

I have a friend of mine working on my Akane 2-6-6-6. He has done several more restorations for me in the past as well. I posted pictures of all of them to Flickr as individual restoration sets. Good for posterity I suppose.

This time, he has since joined Flickr and is posting them of his own...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/57293605@N07/sets/72157645256775409

The first top picture is of how I sent it to him.

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - July 23 2014 :  4:40:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Gorgeous repaint, Darth. I'm sure you have Tom W. on the MR forum drooling on his keyboard.

The original paint job does pose an interesting what-if. I never thought I'd see a Cab Forward in the bumblebee scheme.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 24 2014 :  06:55:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Just seen the Cab forward and it is a good one. Great Job! Congratulations for bringing a wonderful older model back to life and usefulness.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - July 25 2014 :  01:22:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
Thank a lot all!

Mustangs_n_Trains, I like the speed-up gear tower idea in that Allegheny! The Cab Forward is a bit slow at 40 MPH, so I may have to try that eventually.

NickelPlate759, he did like the repaint and restoration! There are a lot of interesting what-if's out there, but this one really needed that paint gone. It looks far better in the picture than it did up close.

Darth Santa Fe, doing weird and challenging projects for the fun of it!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 08 2023 :  8:25:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Nice cab forward engine. I guess you still have it.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5940  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 08 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - August 11 2023 :  10:16:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Great work as usual!!
Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Strummer
Switcher

Posted - May 08 2024 :  10:53:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Strummer to Buddylist
Just saw this...very nice indeed.

There are (4) Akanes in my stable; 2 Paciifics and 2 Mikados, all B & O.

All from the early 1960s, all run VERY well...nice models for sure.

Mark in Oregon
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 13  ~  Member Since: April 17 2024  ~  Last Visit: May 08 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
   Topic Next Topic: Salvaged,rebuilt,custom and kitbash projects.  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000