Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 18 ]  [ Total: 18 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Bachmann Motive Power/Rolling Stock & Accessories
 Bachmann GG1 review
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Bachmann Plus 2-8-0 Topic Next Topic: Bachman / Kader chassis auto train 4000 DCC  

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - May 12 2014 :  12:57:19 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
I got a Bachmann GG1 a few weeks back and thought it would be a good time to offer my thoughts in case some of you are contemplating getting one.

I paid 170 at trainworld for a dcc sound value unit. I've seen dcc ready versions for as low as 100 on line. For 70 bucks more, the sound unit offers a great value. The unit is heavy and sturdy, offers nice detail and looks fantastic. In dcc, it takes off convincingly as soon as you hit notch one. It offers a start up sequence and you can hear a nice woosh sound as it makes it's way around the track. It can pull nice consist with no problems and the horns and bell are adequate. With sound off, it's a nice quiet runner. How foes it compare to the IHC model? Well let's look at some pics. The Bachmann is in Tuscan Red:

They look great together despite the obvious differences. The bachmann detail is on no way better than the IHC. That said its a better smoother runner, heavier and quieter. For the price, it's a great model with sound. I love it and hope to run both together for a long time.

If you are not having fun, you are not doing it right.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 880  ~  Member Since: August 31 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 12 2014 :  1:16:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
coool Now put the TYCO GG-1 next to them
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - May 12 2014 :  1:39:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
I do have one I got from Bob but it will likely end up on eBay.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 880  ~  Member Since: August 31 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 12 2014 :  2:09:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
I do have one I got from Bob but it will likely end up on eBay.
Originally posted by raysouthernpac - May 12 2014 :  1:39:05 PM

what do it look like?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - May 12 2014 :  2:16:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
Tuscan red with box and in amazing condition.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 880  ~  Member Since: August 31 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 12 2014 :  5:46:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Tuscan red with box and in amazing condition.
Originally posted by raysouthernpac - May 12 2014 :  2:16:33 PM

kool I traded mine like that minus box to AMC

GG-1 Guy
Mikado

GG-1

Posted - May 18 2014 :  2:47:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GG-1 Guy to Buddylist
Ray, I need your help. I just got another Bachmann GG1 today, its the black Penn Central DCC on board with sound value. it is supposed to also work on a DC layout but mine will only work when I have another locomotive (Proto 2000) on the same track with it, any suggestions?

Edited by - GG-1 Guy on May 18 2014 2:56:01 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 664  ~  Member Since: May 05 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - May 18 2014 :  5:42:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
Ray, I need your help. I just got another Bachmann GG1 today, its the black Penn Central DCC on board with sound value. it is supposed to also work on a DC layout but mine will only work when I have another locomotive (Proto 2000) on the same track with it, any suggestions?

Originally posted by GG-1 Guy - May 18 2014 :  2:47:26 PM

Probably a stupid question, but did you replace the Bachmann decoder in the new GG1 with the dummy plug?

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GG-1 Guy
Mikado

GG-1

Posted - May 18 2014 :  9:14:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GG-1 Guy to Buddylist
JNXT, it does not say to do that in the instructions. Where is it?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 664  ~  Member Since: May 05 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - May 18 2014 :  9:39:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
GG-1 - wish I was more an expert on this. I recently got a new Bachmann DD40, DCC on board but advertised as operational on DC. There was a small paper in the instructions that explained how to remove the decoder and replace it with the supplied dummy plug.
Wasn't difficult, required removing the shell - the decoder was beneath the circuit board and was a simple unplug decoder/plug in dummy plug. SO...first off, was there a dummy plug that came with your GG-1? If not....we are back to square one.
Worst case, if no one here is familiar with it, there is a decent HO discussion forum on the Bachmann site with knowledgeable people, as well as a Bachmann factory rep.

Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GG-1 Guy
Mikado

GG-1

Posted - May 18 2014 :  9:52:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GG-1 Guy to Buddylist
No nothing, im just going to call Bachmann or look on line.

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - May 19 2014 :  9:53:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
I just ran mine on dc and it ran fine out of the box. You do have to throttle up to about 60 on my dc throttle to get the sound and to get it to move. It's dual mode so it should run out of the box.

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - May 19 2014 :  9:55:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
If you remove the decoder you lose the sound feature. All my dcc bachmann locos run on dual mode. Never come across this issue.

GG-1 Guy
Mikado

GG-1

Posted - May 26 2014 :  10:22:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GG-1 Guy to Buddylist
I found out what the problem was, there was too many amps going through my transformer. I was using the TYCO transformer that has two on one. I changed it to an MRC and it worked perfect. I love the sound value on them and I will only get the sound value GG1's from here on out.

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - May 28 2014 :  11:58:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
Glad to hear it! For the price, the Sound Value model is definetly worth it. I'm thinking if getting the penn central scheme to pull some Amtrak cars.

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - June 01 2014 :  5:16:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
That's good to hear GG-1

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 21 2015 :  12:51:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
The main difference in terms of looks (right off the bat) is that the IHC is a bit bigger than the Bachmann. Can't really blame IHC too much though, because they took it from Pemco which made it more than 10 years before IHC did, and is kind of a knockoff of the AHM version that was made for quite a few years prior.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Bachmann Plus 2-8-0 Topic Next Topic: Bachman / Kader chassis auto train 4000 DCC  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000