Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 25 ]  [ Total: 25 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 HO Scale Slot Cars
 The Slot
 Ideas Wanted For High Speed Curve.
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Slot cars at Carlisle, PA auto flea Oct 3 2014 Topic Next Topic: Weak Tyco  Slot Transformers, Losing Power...  

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - May 09 2014 :  10:00:17 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist

This is the curve at the end of the of the 18 foot straight. Need some ideas on what scenery to put on the corner of the layout here to catch slot cars from flying off on the floor.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator 

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - May 09 2014 :  10:07:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
The skid area ThAt's red and white and a barrier wall.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - May 09 2014 :  10:20:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I guess what I should have mentioned is that this is a 4 lane highway opposed to a race track. A place for street racing nuts like me to show off their big block Chevys!!
Edited by - walt on May 09 2014 10:21:46 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - May 09 2014 :  10:37:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
walt - guessing your highway will have a stout guardrail there? plus maybe a big thick (impenetrable) stand of bushes and trees?
http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - May 09 2014 :  10:48:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Yes, Jerry ... I'm using white Model Motoring guardrail. Trees etc will be used unless we come up with something better...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 09 2014 :  11:11:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
how about a plastic extention on the curve THEN the guardrail?
kinda like a shoulder That way you can do Drifting

Edited by - microbusss on May 09 2014 11:12:04 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

blaneo
Switcher

B&O Switcher

Posted - May 10 2014 :  08:34:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add blaneo to Buddylist
Walt,
My layout is also set up more as a highway then as a racetrack. I wanted to be able to scenic the layout a little bit, without going overboard with detailing it with structures and people. I added half sections of train roadbed to the edges of the slot track to give a shoulder look and feel. Then added the guardrails to the shoulder area. This gives the cars a little bit more room to drift through the curves, but also helps to restrict them a little. I have also added taller hills and obstructions in hopes of keeping the cars from flying thirty feet into the other room. I do plan to add soft bendable trees to the hillsides to help cushion any impacts.

I don't know if you have seen my blog on the building of my layout. The layout still isn't completed, time has had to be committed elsewhere lately. The blog will give you insight into what I have been doing with mine. My last posting(over a year ago) was dealing with the shoulder area and how I had applied them. Here's the link:

http://blackswampraceway.blogspot.com/

/tyco/forum/uploaded/blaneo/20140510082011_BSR 1.JPG
/tyco/forum/uploaded/blaneo/20140510082050_BSR 2.JPG

Blane is the name,
Trains are the game.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 96  ~  Member Since: December 03 2012  ~  Last Visit: June 24 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - May 11 2014 :  5:14:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
Yes a guardrail is a must, I think a nice foam embankment with some ground turf would be cool but how about a field of grass done in the Ken Patterson method using combed fake fur. That would give errant cars a nice soft place to land and it would look like the shoulders of a modern highway that had not been mowed very often.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - May 12 2014 :  7:32:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist

These may be the answer to stopping airborne slot cars from hitting the floor at the end of the long straight... Tall trees, by Life-Like..

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - May 12 2014 :  8:49:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
They are stout enough to keep the cars from flying through them but soft enough not to cause damage.
http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - May 12 2014 :  9:31:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
You're right, Jerry ... I have quite a few of the shorter trees and they are a soft barrier. Think I'll get the taller ones for these areas.
I found just minutes ago that I have the same problem at the other end of the long stretch. Had 3 cars fly off the table with only a 5 foot straight before the curve.

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - May 16 2014 :  12:48:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
I have some top heavy old Marx trains that do the same thing on the curves at 3/4 throttle
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - May 20 2014 :  09:40:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Blane that is a nice looking set-up you've got there. The browned land between the tracks makes me think of the California hills when they are all dry.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Slot cars at Carlisle, PA auto flea Oct 3 2014 Topic Next Topic: Weak Tyco  Slot Transformers, Losing Power...  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000