Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 27 ]  [ Total: 27 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Motive Power
 Tyco Illinios Central Red & Silver GP20 repaint
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Northern Pacific Sharks Topic Next Topic: tyco petticoat junction  

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - March 09 2014 :  7:27:29 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
I picked up a red an silver Illinios Central GP 20 on ebay. This was at best an impulse bid and buy since the GP 20 was a broken shell and didn't have a motor. After it arrived it was in bad shape, my fault for not noticing in the pictures on ebay. Since they are some what hard to find I decided to try and fix it. I had an old GP20 shell to use as the donor front and rear steps.

I added a few pieces of styrene to fill in holes both front and back.

I masked off the red first and painted the silver with a regular spray can, then masked off the silver and sprayed the red. The colors were regular run of the mill Walmart spray paint that I think matched well. I didn't have a way to reproduce the numbers or the IC name, so I masked off the area and painted around those. The numbers peeled a bit with the blue tape but I like the sort of old school look to them.
It was a fun project on a rainy day. I'll finish putting it back together next weekend, as soon as I find a motor. This might find it's way onto a Model Power GP20 chassis.
Tom

Edited by - eaglerock109 on March 09 2014 7:29:17 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 620  ~  Member Since: February 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 09 2014 :  7:46:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I always did think this was a weird IC scheme even for Tyco
I don't believe ANY IC locos had the color scheme
It looks too much like ATSF colors
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - March 09 2014 :  8:02:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
Agreed Buss, I have an original in this color undamaged. I still like the colors and like I said it might end up with modern running gear. And DCC.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 620  ~  Member Since: February 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - April 06 2014 :  6:43:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
Finally found a motor, added the handrails headlights and number boards, now she's a runner again.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 620  ~  Member Since: February 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - April 06 2014 :  6:55:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
nice work eaglerock109,looks sweet ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - April 06 2014 :  10:09:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
quote:
nice work eaglerock109,looks sweet ken

Originally posted by catfordken - April 06 2014 :  6:55:08 PM

Thanks Ken

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 10 2023 :  9:59:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Nice engine with rare colors. Wonder if you still have it.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5896  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Northern Pacific Sharks Topic Next Topic: tyco petticoat junction  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000