Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 18 ]  [ Total: 18 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Marx Motive Power, Rolling Stock and Accessories
 Marx train collection from the attic
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Marx Musical Train Topic Next Topic: PA antique mall finds - two Marx cars  

NC shortlines
Big Boy

AberdeenRockfishAvatar

Posted - November 21 2012 :  09:52:59 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add NC shortlines to Buddylist
A co-worker brought these in for me to look at. They belonged to his dad. There is acutally a mixture of gauges and manufacturers. O gauge Marx, and S gauge American Flyer Steam.
Something interesting to look at. One question: The trucks have remnants of anodizing or something similar.
Is there any way to put that anodize back on after the rust is removed?

Unspoken expectations are premeditated failures.
Edited by - NC shortlines on November 21 2012 09:56:13 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 825  ~  Member Since: December 22 2008  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2015 Alert Moderator 

mytyco
Mikado

FECAvatar

Posted - November 21 2012 :  2:12:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mytyco to Buddylist
Hi NC shortlines,

I don't know anything about anodizing. But just wanted to say thanks for showing these old trains. I just love to see old trains that have been rescued from attics, basements and such.

Mytyco
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 790  ~  Member Since: April 30 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 21 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 21 2012 :  3:50:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
real cool stuffs I likes finding stuff like this
They dirty hehe oh well just wash them in plain water with a soft brush
Is those HO cars from same guy?
ICG is now owned by CN

Edited by - microbusss on November 21 2012 3:51:11 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NC shortlines
Big Boy

AberdeenRockfishAvatar

Posted - November 21 2012 :  7:26:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NC shortlines to Buddylist
Yes, the TYCO cars are from his collection. Not pictured were several HO scale houses and buildings. One peculiar thing about the Marx is the couplers. Apparently they are unique to that manufacturer. He was always disappointed that he couldn't purchase other brands rolling stock for his layout because of those couplers.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 825  ~  Member Since: December 22 2008  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 21 2012 :  9:57:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
yeah I knows those couplers Mine are the same way & still trying to rid them
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - November 21 2012 :  10:09:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
The trucks aren't plated or anodized, they're blackened, and the rust has ruined that finish. White vinegar will remove most of the rust, and then you can paint them black. There is a product called Blacken-it, but all it does is produce splotchy dark areas. The chemical blackening they use in factories isn't something you can do at home.

The upside is that rusty trucks look more realistic.

You can still get those Flyer Casey Jones 4-4-0's in excellent shape for about $25... they haven't appreciated. It looks like the lead truck may be missing.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Marx Musical Train Topic Next Topic: PA antique mall finds - two Marx cars  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000