Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 17 ]  [ Total: 17 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 Penn Line Reading Crusader Restoration
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Tyco Heaven!! Topic Next Topic: Today (Blasts from my past)  

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - September 11 2011 :  3:50:19 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
Hi All!

Following Mr. George Bennett's (RIP) lead in another string, I am also sending my Crusader consist to Tony at Goingincircles. This is how mine looks now:

I or Tony might update this topic giving status updates on the restoration. I think that might be a neat string to follow.

I loosened the rivets on the tender and the aluminum trimming on the boiler. I took the trim off the boiler and the pilot sheeting on mine was all bent out of shape.

I straightened it using a flat sheet of aluminum as a base and rolled a steel socket against the inside of the pilot. Afterward, I used a series of jewelers files to remove the material on the front side until the deep scratches were gone. I then used a fine grade sand paper to smooth it out a little more. Still needs more finer grade sanding to get it polish-able.

I then assembled the pilot and trailing trucks for safe keeping before packing it to be mailed!

Here are the decals:

More to come!

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!

Edited by - Mustangs_n_Trains on September 11 2011 10:53:02 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator 

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - September 11 2011 :  4:02:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Thats gonna be purty when GIC is done with 'em!
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 11 2011 :  7:48:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Mr Bennet sent me some trains before he died too
I seen how GIC redid that train & he did a awesome sauce job on it
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - September 11 2011 :  7:56:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Your Crusader is in good hands with Mr. Tony. I can't wait to see the results.

I still miss Loopy as well... I guess we all do. He was a great guy.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - December 05 2011 :  05:08:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
Latest progress photos taken by Tony L. Progress is slow, but that is more than OK. It is in good hands.

Wishing you the best Tony! More than you know, I understand the troubles you are going through!

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - December 05 2011 :  3:42:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
What an amazingly simple frame.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CNVIATyco
Big Boy

BC Rail

Posted - December 05 2011 :  3:51:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNVIATyco to Buddylist
Can somebody tell me who Loopy is? I have only been on since July.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1102  ~  Member Since: July 28 2011  ~  Last Visit: July 01 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - December 05 2011 :  5:13:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:
Can somebody tell me who Loopy is? I have only been on since July.

Loopy is Mr. George Bennett. He died much earlier this year. That was before I had joined here, but he and I had traded on and off eBay a few years ago, just before he had taken ill. He was just a super nice guy and he is missed. I met him because he outbid me on the very first Mantua brass Consolidation I ever bid on. Lets just say he really wanted that loco and when I told him I was bidding because I had a perfect correct tender for it, is was all he could do to not beg me to sell it to him. As he put it, it was like we were kindred spirits.

Sean

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 05 2011 :  6:24:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
cool M_n_T Good story
I am sad Loopy died too But just before he did He sent me a few Tyco trains including the Midnight Special with matching caboose
Tony did a awesome job on Loopy's Crusader & a steam loco too So I knows he will do yours up awesomely
Are the Crusaders really that rare? If so why & who made them?
I gotta send 2 boxcars to Tony but I'll wait till after New Year's
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

59Chevy
Big Six

Posted - December 05 2011 :  11:32:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 59Chevy to Buddylist
I have always wanted one of those Pennline Reading Crusaders! Wish I had one! I think they look so cool. Nothing else like them.

Did you know that Mantua made a factory set of Reading Crusader cars? I bought some on eBay last year not realizing they were Crusader cars, but I think they are because the set had two observation cars and they were numbered in sequence so one would be on each end. Now if only I had an engine to go with them! I don't know why Mantua made them if there was no Mantua Crusader engine. They came in the red boxes.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 293  ~  Member Since: January 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: September 29 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - December 29 2011 :  10:21:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
Tony sent some me more photos:

Sean

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 29 2011 :  11:11:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
THIS is why I'm waiting to send Tony my boxcars

choochin3
Mikado

USA

Posted - December 29 2011 :  11:19:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add choochin3 to Buddylist
I gotta keep my eyes peeled at upcoming shows for one of these sets!
Looking great so far guys!

Carl T.

President of the Cape James Terminal RR.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 691  ~  Member Since: April 16 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 01 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - January 04 2012 :  07:08:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
Here are some updated photos from Tony!

This beauty is really coming along nicely!

These are the side rods before he cleaned them & polished them:

Thanks Tony!

Sean

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 04 2012 :  10:49:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Looking goood!
I read in a MR magazine that Con-Cor is going to make this set

Ken
Hudson

old feller

Posted - January 04 2012 :  1:12:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ken to Buddylist
What paint is Tony using on this unit?? I would like to get some for a project I'm working on.
Thanks.
Ken

FIDDLEHEAD RAILWAY CO.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 468  ~  Member Since: January 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: February 29 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - January 05 2012 :  5:15:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:
What paint is Tony using on this unit?? I would like to get some for a project I'm working on.
Thanks.
Ken

Originally posted by Ken - January 04 2012 :  1:12:43 PM

I'll have to ask him Ken. I do not remember. Sorry.

Sean

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - January 05 2012 :  5:16:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
Here is the most recent updated photo Tony has sent to me:

Sean

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - January 05 2012 :  5:34:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi Sean that's one great looking loco, Tony certainly knows his business,thanks for the treat ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

choochin3
Mikado

USA

Posted - January 05 2012 :  6:34:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add choochin3 to Buddylist
Schwing!!!!!!

Carl T.

President of the Cape James Terminal RR.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 691  ~  Member Since: April 16 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 01 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 05 2012 :  7:25:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
just Looking good there & I forget how much one of these sets is worth hehe

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - February 25 2012 :  5:12:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
Hey Guys!

Here are some updated photos of the consist from Tony L.:

Looks like it is almost done!

Sean

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - February 28 2012 :  05:44:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Really comprehensive work Tony, and skillfully done.

I just saw, in the newest MR at the LHS, that someone is coming out with a Crusader engine possibly in HO scale.

Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 28 2012 :  11:12:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Looking goood!
I read in a MR magazine that Con-Cor is going to make this set
Originally posted by microbusss - January 04 2012 :  10:49:41 AM

Uh did you READ this, Alco Fan?

Also dang Looks very uber nice!

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 28 2012 :  11:43:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* * That is one very nice train set. It is a true train set. One protypicaly made to run together. Only one train set, all stainless steel. I have some questions.
* What is the lettering on the cars. Dean ,Madison, Geta, Miranda, Tricia ?
* Were these the names applied to the cars ?
* Did the other trains set have different names ?
* If so what were they ?
* Is there a complete decal set for them aviable, and from where ?

Frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on February 28 2012 1:02:28 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - February 28 2012 :  12:59:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
Frank, judging by the last one Tony did. The cars MIGHT be named after children of the owner. I also believe Tony has a Alps printer so he can print whatever he desires when it comes to decals. Either way, he does a great job restoring these old engines!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 531  ~  Member Since: January 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: July 10 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 28 2012 :  1:11:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Hi Criss ;
Did a further search and their seems to be only one train set. It went to Jersey City ferry terminal in the morning and returned at end of work day. Cars were numbered 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. 1 and 5 being observations. 2 and 4 coaches. and the center car Reading listed as a tavern - Diner was number 3. These were the only completely stainless steel cars on the Reading. Others were listed as Stainless - Aluminum cars.

frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on February 29 2012 12:43:57 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - February 28 2012 :  1:56:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
I am very glad that Sean is pleased with how things have come along. It's been very very slow going - periods of furious work with lots of lag time between sessions. I hope the results were worth the wait. Right now I am awaiting the missing drawbar so I can link and test-run the loco properly... then she will be en route back home. It's been an honor for the Saint Canard Midland shops to host and restore not one, but two of these rare beauties. I appreciate the comments and compliments.

The decals are 100% custom-made by me. I took slight liberty on the locomotive by making the "Crusader" herald perhaps a bit too large, and I'm not sure the font is 100% correct. But I achieved a good color match between the paint and decal film, so it looks good.

As I did with the Bennett Crusder, the cars are fictionally named for members of the owner's family. I will let him explain is he wishes. The font matches that on the locomotive - an enhancement over the Bennett version.

The letterbands on the cars are again, somewhat artistically licensed. I do not think there were blue bands on the real cars. However I did this as an homage to the Tyco Streamliners employed for this train - notice the font is exactly the same. I redrew it from scratch to match the "Tyco Streamliner" font and added the missing letters. The diamonds on the ends are a stylistic match for the Reading. The letters themselves are hollow, allowing the natural aluminum underneath to shine through. Owing to parts on hand, Loop-N-Hook couplers are used on the obs ends and will be used on the loco. Intermediate couplings are X2F.

The train is a joy to see, and was a lot of work to clean. Those aluminum cars are tough to polish, the fluting just chews through pads and rags and it's hard to get into the crevices. I probably still need to come up with a better method. But the results are still worth it. BTW whatever those "Baltimore and Ohio" decals were stuck with, may as well have been transparent concrete. Wow. I never knew old decals could be so stubborn!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - February 28 2012 :  7:05:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Very cool, Tony. How does that old Pittman motor run?
The Tyco Depot

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - February 29 2012 :  12:30:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
Hi Guys!

Thanks for the posts! Tony is doing a great job!

The manes are of myself (Sean)..aka "Dean", Tricia, my wife and Madison & Miranda, my two daughters. Seka is the name given to their grandmother by my oldest when she was 1-2 and it stuck for some reason. The baggage coach he is also doing for me also has the names of our two dogs (Killer & Lois). This is sort of a fantasy piece, but if I was going to include the mother-in-law, I was not going to leave out the dogs who have been a part of our family for the past 16 years.

This is the RPO:

@ Tony; The draw bar is leaving today. I found it.

Sean

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - February 29 2012 :  4:39:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Busss,
No I didn't read your post until now. Schooled again! :)

Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - February 29 2012 :  6:08:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi tony,that job on crusader is great,can see why sean is over the moon ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - March 17 2012 :  10:27:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
This is what showed up at my home this week! I could not be more pleased! Tony did an awesome job!

Sean

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - March 17 2012 :  11:14:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
That's gorgeous, Sean. You must be one proud papa, so to speak. Hopefully that set will be passed down through the family.

Tony, did you cut the foam for the storage box yourself, or use modular foam pieces?

The Tyco Depot
Edited by - NickelPlate759 on March 17 2012 11:15:36 PM

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - March 18 2012 :  12:33:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
Nelson, both the box and foam were repurposed from discarded Dell enterprise server shipping crates I got from work. Funny thing is the cardboard box - I claimed 3 of them 4 years ago thinking "these are just the right size to be handy some day..."

To answer the foam, it's a little of both. One of the foam shipping surrounds for a server was a matrix of bars that looked close to the right thickness, and had notches to fit pieces crosswise (like Lincoln logs). So mockups were easy, but I had to sectionalize then cut and shape accordingly. My 7yo girl helped a bit. So, I guess it was semi-modular, if you will :)

Either way I was really pleased how well everything came together - having the perfect size box, taking delivery of new equipment at work that yielded the perfect foam, in the right color... universal serendipity almost never happens, lol.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - March 18 2012 :  10:18:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
Sean you are one lucky guy,hope you really enjoy it
Tony your skills never cease to surprise me,a great job,and even though its not yours,its a job you can look back on with pride,ken

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - March 18 2012 :  7:53:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Tony, that was fortuitous; the box looks like it was made for it. To say the whole thing looks professional is an understatement.
The Tyco Depot

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - March 18 2012 :  10:57:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hey Tony:

I'm guessing a 1U or 2U Blade server box??? Have to get my buddy Nen to "sack" the server room at Toyota Canada (He's the head of Infrastructure for Toyota Canada) for one or more of those!

Great job kiddo. I must be tired I was thinking how neat a Mantua 0-4-0 Camelback "Crusader" would look, ya I know ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

Edited by - romcat on March 18 2012 11:05:55 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - January 09 2021 :  10:45:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist
quote:
Hey Guys!

Here are some updated photos of the consist from Tony L.:

Looks like it is almost done!

Originally posted by Mustangs_n_Trains - February 25 2012 :  5:12:43 PM

Beautiful set.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5878  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - January 10 2021 :  10:58:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Nice internet photo.

Must have been fun to see the prototype operate back in the day.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5878  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 10 2021 :  12:27:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I STILL want one hehe

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - January 10 2021 :  6:12:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
WE KNOW
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Tyco Heaven!! Topic Next Topic: Today (Blasts from my past)  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000