Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 19 ]  [ Total: 19 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 Tyco Heaven!!
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: A Tyco kind of Xmas... Topic Next Topic: Penn Line Reading Crusader Restoration  

Adams
Big Boy

Posted - April 25 2008 :  11:20:46 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Adams to Buddylist
If there's a Tyco heaven, I saw it today...My local hobby dealer, whom I've been buying British items from, just returned from York, Pa. He had large brown moving boxes filled with complete, mint Tyco sets from the 50's to the 70's, some that came with shrink wrap still had it intact. He's a businessman, and his prices ranged from the low 100's for basic sets to the mid-250's for the more desireable. If I would have already received by tax rebate, I would probably now own the NIB B&O Royal Blue passenger set with Pacific and 4 cars. Another temptation: a beautiful set of ACL streamliners. All in all, there were probably over 60 sets. Like I told him, though, if I were to buy a set, all it would do is sit on a shelf, because I could never bring myself to ruin the mint condition by actually using it!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 874  ~  Member Since: October 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: June 09 2019 Alert Moderator 

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - April 26 2008 :  12:09:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist
Hello Adams, I have felt the same way having owned four Corvettes (not all at the same time). I always polished them for show and drove them in the good weather, but there were others that bought Corvettes and trailered them from brand new and never drove them.

If I can't enjoy them by running/driving them now, what am I doing, saving it for the next guy/gal when I die...

Mike [:D]

Edited by - Mike on April 26 2008 12:10:28 AM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - April 26 2008 :  12:59:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
Run 'em, run 'em...that's what they were built for...[;)] No worse fate for a train than to become a shelf queen.
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - April 26 2008 :  10:42:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
See, Tyco is popular and the rest of the train community is catching on.
Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

taycotrains
Big Six

TAYCOTRAINS

Posted - April 26 2008 :  10:59:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add taycotrains to Buddylist
Adams
Much like your dealer...I too had a good York.
I did not buy as much as him but I picked up some nice stuff.

This is a blue box set box thats made of wood.
The trains that are in it are wrong and are just stored in it.
This is the way I got it with the exception of the Tyco streamliner set that I added.The engines and the freight cars all have the early loop couplers.

I picked up a 1966 version of "The Royal Blue" it looks to be in good shape and it looks like someone had access to a shrink wrap machine somewhere along the line.

Bob T
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 385  ~  Member Since: August 08 2007  ~  Last Visit: October 10 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Adams
Big Boy

Posted - April 26 2008 :  11:14:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Adams to Buddylist
Nice finds, Taycotrains--It's hard to believe there are still so many complete, mint sets out there---or maybe there aren't....we just see and talk about them all here! My hobby dealer once told me that some of those Tyco wooden boxes would have either been for special sets, or salesman's samples, that would be brought to the shops by a Tyco rep, showing a variety of items. That's just heresay,though.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 874  ~  Member Since: October 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: June 09 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

taycotrains
Big Six

TAYCOTRAINS

Posted - April 26 2008 :  1:19:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add taycotrains to Buddylist
Adams
What little bit of info I have been able to find out about
the wood box set is this.

The set was just a "deluxe" set that happen to come in a fancy box,it was a freight set with a 3 or 4 cars a mikado and a switch engine and caboose and track with a switch to set up a spur.

This is what I have been told ... how true it is is anyones guess.

The "salesmen sample case" myth is just what you said it is ...

I did pickup a set at York that I am convinced is truly mint.

A late production red box set....1-7597M on the top of the label
and 79-97063 on the bottom of the label on the flap of the box.

I can not find any info on these numbers on any of the resource pages.

Here is some pictures

The cars for the auto loader are still carded and I never saw a dozer flat with 3 gray machines....could this have been made for Sears ???

BT
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 385  ~  Member Since: August 08 2007  ~  Last Visit: October 10 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ptgolf
Little Six

Posted - April 26 2008 :  6:06:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ptgolf to Buddylist
Hey Taycotrains I believe that set is from 1971 as it is the set I had as a kid. It could very well be from Sears as my Dad worked for Sears at the time. I have pictures somewhere of it set-up and running in our basement and the pictures have the date of Jan, 1971 on them. If you ever want to sell give me a shout.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 113  ~  Member Since: March 13 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 30 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ptgolf
Little Six

Posted - April 26 2008 :  6:07:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ptgolf to Buddylist
Hey Taycotrains I believe that set is from 1971 as it is the set I had as a kid. It could very well be from Sears as my Dad worked for Sears at the time. I have pictures somewhere of it set-up and running in our basement and the pictures have the date of Jan, 1971 on them. If you ever want to sell give me a shout.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 113  ~  Member Since: March 13 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 30 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

taycotrains
Big Six

TAYCOTRAINS

Posted - April 26 2008 :  9:15:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add taycotrains to Buddylist
ptgolf
Thanks for the info !

As far as selling it ....check with my wife when Im dead[:D]
she will probably give it to you just clear the space this stuff takes up.

BT

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - April 27 2008 :  5:43:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist
Hey Taycotrains I don't think you picked those items up at York at all.

I just think you own a Time Machine...

[:D]

Great pictures of some great finds...

Mike
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - April 27 2008 :  6:25:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
quote:
The cars for the auto loader are still carded and I never saw a dozer flat with 3 gray machines....could this have been made for Sears ???
Originally posted by taycotrains - April 26 2008 :  1:19:40 PM

I don't have an answer to your question. I don't think I've ever seen a gray dozer period.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

taycotrains
Big Six

TAYCOTRAINS

Posted - April 27 2008 :  7:29:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add taycotrains to Buddylist
The answer to my question was right at my fingertips and I did not even know it.

I remembered that I had a old book called

"The Big Toy Box at Sears"

it was published in 1987 and edited by Peter Fritz and John Mautner.

The book is a reprints of the toy pages that where in the wish books
from 1951 to 1970.

The book was invaluable when I was collecting Marx back in the 80s and early 90s.This was the only info availible at the time to see if a Allstate set was complete.

I took the book off the shelf and sure enough the set was listed in the last section (1970) and it showed the exact components that are in my set....I not sure of the colors because the catalog is printed in black and white.

BT

Adams
Big Boy

Posted - April 27 2008 :  10:42:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Adams to Buddylist
Hey, Taycotrains, look at my post from Jan. 27, under the Train Sets section of the forum, let me know if you run across a photo of this Sears set (my first, around 1970). Chris
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 874  ~  Member Since: October 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: June 09 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

taycotrains
Big Six

TAYCOTRAINS

Posted - April 28 2008 :  6:01:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add taycotrains to Buddylist
Adams

Yes it is there ...I think ?

There are 3 Tyco sets availible that year on pg 516 of the wish book.

My set was the top of the line offering at $29.99
your set was second at $26.99
then there was a 3rd offering at $18.99
that had a Burlington single A diesel and 3 cars.

What throws me off is your "box art" your lid shows a Santa Fe GP 20
in blue but the set in the catalog shows a Alco 430 Century in what appears to be red and silver....what is in your set ???

The cars in the set appear to be the same as yours
Remote dump
culvert flat
SF trailer flat
Dairymens Reefer
and caboose .

Hope this helps

BT

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - January 12 2021 :  1:38:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Nice photos of those items from a decade ago.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5878  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: A Tyco kind of Xmas... Topic Next Topic: Penn Line Reading Crusader Restoration  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000