Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 24 ]  [ Total: 24 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Motive Power
 Tyco Mantua BN Alcos
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Tyco AD-Art ''74-''75 #1, #2, #3 Topic Next Topic: Pair of USA Express 4301''s  

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - May 15 2011 :  06:03:10 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
I found this MU2 pwered Alco at the Cumberland MD. Train show yesterday. I also have a like mint version that has the Power Torque motor. One big difference in the appearance is that the BN logo is about 50% larger on this the MU2 version.

I'll post the other model when I find the pic.

Alco Fan
Edited by - Alco Fan on July 15 2011 1:45:24 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator 

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - May 16 2011 :  5:44:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
If you're one of the guys around here that stiill likes to collect Tyco/Mantua trains this may be of interest to you.
This is the PT powered C430 with box but missing the stancions and in like mint condition that I mentioned in an earlier post. Another difference in this and the MU2 version is the side frames on the MU2 have three leaf springs showing and the PT has four. The paint is brighter in the pic but they're really close in real life. Other obvious differences is the snap-in weight and filled in number boards on the rear and the usual PT Alco differences.The black trim is somewhat different but maybe not too much different. I mentioned the larger BN logo in the earlier post.

Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - May 16 2011 :  10:53:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
AF - I like the MU version better -Great find by the way
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - May 17 2011 :  05:50:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Brian,
I like the MU2 version also. I'm thinking it was a brown box offering? I haven't seen many of these on the auction site so I got it without the box anyway.
Thanks for responding.

Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 17 2011 :  10:15:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
nice locos & will look for these at shows Plus BN wouldn't of done their logo or numbers like that
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - May 20 2011 :  3:41:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
Nice eye AF. I notice the font used to spell out "Burlington Northern" changed as well, much the same as it did on the boxcars. I think I prefer the later version myself.

Note the lousy paint coverage behind the cab on the MU-2 version... almost every Tyco BN loco of this vintage that I have seen, has bad paint. So do a lot of the Penn Central locos.... seems like those green plastic shells just did not take paint very well for some reason.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - May 20 2011 :  6:25:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
spiderj76,
You are right about the paint . I saw it but didn't compare it to the PT which is much sharper. Right on the font also. Nice eye to you as well and good to hear from you.

Alco Fan

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - May 20 2011 :  7:41:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Going backwards now here's an MU2 powered Century 430 Alco in Burlington or CB&Q colors. I got this in a lot on the auction site and took the motor out and put it in something else. Then I realized I had no other example of this and put another motor in it and replaced the front plow that was missing and painted it and some bad chips with craft store acrylic paint I mixed up. I think this version was available in the '68 catalog or earlier. I think these are htf.

Alco Fan
Edited by - Alco Fan on May 22 2011 3:59:15 PM

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - May 22 2011 :  4:00:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Maybe someone would post a pic of their "Big Sky" Great Northern Alco? VHTF! ( So I had to paint one up myself. Still working on handrails and decals.)

I think this went into becoming the BN.

I saw the end scene in "Wyatt Erp" recently. Erp and his wife are on a ship looking over the water to the shore. In the distance the mountains looked light blue, there was a white streak of sky above them and higher up the sky was grayish and reminded me of the Big Sky paint scheme.

Alco Fan
Edited by - Alco Fan on July 01 2011 8:15:35 PM

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - July 01 2011 :  7:59:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
I managed to find another deal on an MU2 powered BN 430 Century. I think the paint is sharper that the first MU2 paint job.

Alco Fan

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - July 01 2011 :  8:33:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
I'm lovin' those Alcos, especially the old Burlington one. Never cared for the Big Sky paint on the GN myself. I always loved the green and orange--which you can now see on BNSF locos everywhere.

I'm long overdue for a good find. The well has sort of dried up around here.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1166  ~  Member Since: October 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - July 14 2011 :  08:14:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Maybe you'd like to add some of your BN related Tycos like the GP20 or others?
Alco Fan

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 14 2011 :  09:05:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I got one & it for sale Doesn't run tho
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - July 14 2011 :  09:13:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:
Maybe you'd like to add some of your BN related Tycos like the GP20 or others?

Sorry I could not pass this post up. I am not a BN fan and I may be Irish, but I really only like to see my grass and trees green. Being a New haven fanatic though, I had to post this. The pic is not mine and I take no credit for it, but I had to at least include a pic of the New Haven Alco:

I have a couple of them and if I have a chance later, I will edit this post with a new pic of one (or some) of the one(s) that I have. I really like the New Haven paint and color scheme on these myself.

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - July 14 2011 :  6:17:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Nice Alcos fellas.
Here's a non Alco seen in around here a couple of years ago.
Oh, and it's not a model.

Alco Fan

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - July 14 2011 :  6:37:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Seems like the Rock Island and Silver Streak are the most common of the Super 430 series. These other ones just never can ever be found!
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - July 15 2011 :  1:48:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Another BN related loco. Not a good picture but the only one I have and it has a replacement motor if you look closely.

Alco Fan
Edited by - Alco Fan on July 15 2011 1:50:25 PM

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - July 16 2011 :  9:19:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
quote:
Seems like the Rock Island and Silver Streak are the most common of the Super 430 series. These other ones just never can ever be found!
Originally posted by Redneck Justin

BTW I think one of the top three common Alco C430s is the MU2 powered red and silver Sante Fe and is the Mantua engine that started me on this trek of collecting Mantua and Tyco C430s.

Alco Fan

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 16 2011 :  11:59:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
um idk if these are Alcos But they are the real thing

Saw them in Alliance,NE Will delete if they aren't

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - July 17 2011 :  3:49:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Do not delete. They are by General Electric, BN related locos and they're great. Are they C30-7s? Look on the front of the first loco. Nice pics!
Alco Fan

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 17 2011 :  4:49:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
yes name is on the very front if you enlarge the 1st pic

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - January 05 2013 :  09:40:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Since starting this thread I have come across another variation of the BN Alco. This version is what I'd call a PH II BN C430 Alco in that it was relased after the MU2 powered units ended production and before the PT powered units with snap-in weights became the norm. As far as I know they never made any BN C430s from Mehano as they did with the SF and VGN models. You can see one spotting feature is this PH II has the screw-in tank and the typical PT Alco has a snap in tank and weight. Another spotting feature is the snap-on type truck covers with one screw used only on the power truck to keep the gears in place when under power.

Alco Fan

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - January 05 2013 :  10:48:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Here's a view of the PHII on the top and the PHIII on the bottom. The font and logo on the PHII are different or not the same tampo as the PHII. The PHII is a narrower fon and the PHIII is more open. There are other differences as well as the screw-in weight and the truck covers.
The box has no label.
There is also a CB&Q Heritage shot. I forgot the un-numbered Big Sky painted Alco.
I've never seen the PHII in this road until now after watching the "Internet auction site" almost every day for six years.

Alco Fan
Edited by - Alco Fan on January 05 2013 11:05:24 AM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 05 2013 :  12:17:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
cool stuff guys
Also mine is still avalible

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - January 05 2013 :  1:26:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Microburlingtonnn,

I knew you'd like this ;)

Here's the CB&Q Alco Heritage picture, in order of release, complete with BIg Sky C430.

Alco Fan

caboose 1
Big Six

L&N Hummingbird

Posted - January 05 2013 :  2:34:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add caboose 1 to Buddylist
Busss those BN units are GE....U 30-C I believe
caboose 1
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 352  ~  Member Since: November 09 2010  ~  Last Visit: January 21 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 05 2013 :  3:24:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
um Alco Fan says they is GE C30-7s \
As a matter of fact The Illinois RR Museum got one & it even says Alliance on it!
There's my excuse to go to that museum

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - January 05 2013 :  6:02:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
Good eye and neat finds, AF. I think my favorite of the 3 is the snap-tank version. The font for the herald looks correct, and just "better" at any rate.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

caboose 1
Big Six

L&N Hummingbird

Posted - January 05 2013 :  6:05:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add caboose 1 to Buddylist
quote:
um Alco Fan says they is GE C30-7s \
As a matter of fact The Illinois RR Museum got one & it even says Alliance on it!
There's my excuse to go to that museum

Originally posted by microbusss - January 05 2013 :  3:24:33 PM

Same thing...newer version

caboose 1
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 352  ~  Member Since: November 09 2010  ~  Last Visit: January 21 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - January 05 2013 :  6:46:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
quote:
Good eye and neat finds, AF. I think my favorite of the 3 is the snap-tank version. The font for the herald looks correct, and just "better" at any rate.

Originally posted by spiderj76 - January 05 2013 :  6:02:07 PM

Thanks for your comment.

I'm in awe of the fact that we, Tyco Mantua collectors at this forum, never see these PH IIs so that means there are few of them around on the famous Internet auction site at least.
I have some of the very very common So76 Alcos that are PHIIs but PH I BN Alcos or PH III BN Alcos don't show up that often and and to score a PH II is probably the most uncommon and is unique if not rare.

Alco Fan
Edited by - Alco Fan on January 05 2013 6:47:15 PM

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - January 06 2013 :  1:48:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Come to think of it none of these CB&Q heritage locos show up very frequently.

I wonder if you can see how often they show up on the 'bay in a year?

Alco Fan
Edited by - Alco Fan on January 06 2013 2:47:35 PM

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 11 2023 :  12:52:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Burlington memories
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5896  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Tyco AD-Art ''74-''75 #1, #2, #3 Topic Next Topic: Pair of USA Express 4301''s  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000