Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 9 ]  [ Total: 9 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 My Over-Under Figure 8 with a Tunnel
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Goodbye to Steam Topic Next Topic: Modern Trains Come to Henley  

CamdenLine
Little Six

Camden Line

Posted - July 06 2010 :  8:33:17 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add CamdenLine to Buddylist
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the welcomes to the group. I thought I should post about my new layout.

I last tried to do a layout when I was a kid. It was pretty horrible. As I recall it was a 4x8 sheet of plywood with an oval on it. I remember having some switches so it was probably some sort of double oval. I was starting with parts from a Tyco Over and Under trestle set but I doubt I ever got that to work correctly. Those little plastic trestles were so tippy. I had some of those foam mountain tunnels from Toys R Us as well.

So, as an adult it has been really interesting to come back at this as I can think about possibilities in a different way and the internet of course puts many options at your finger tips.

I'm still limited to a 4x8 as far as space and I'd like to put as much action on there as possible. I'm partly doing this as a project with my young son and he likes to watch the trains go round and round.

I had a 4x8 sheet of drywall sitting around so that seemed like a natural choice as a board to build on. So far it has worked pretty well though the edges were a little banged up so I'll probably put some kind of wood around the edges to protect it.

My first thought was to re-create a simple over under figure eight like I'd had as a kid since it seems much more interesting than an oval. I also wanted a spur that headed to an engine maintenance facility so that was added into the design. Knowing I could fit more on the layout I started to experiment with other ideas and it has evolved into the mock-up in the photos. The figure eight is the core of the design but it has a loop worked into the route so the train will do the loop and the figure eight before repeating itself. Instead of using a crossing piece where the loop crosses the eight I opted for raising the back side of the oval instead so it becomes a raised crossing with a bridge. I also opted for a viaduct type set-up on part of the high track so I can run track underneath. One fun thing is that on the far end the track is completely hidden by the raised section so I opted to make that a tunnel section.

Here are the photos. First off, the shot of the whole layout thus far.

In this first photo you can see where the engine (a SAnta Fe GP-20) leaves the maintenance facility on the far right and heads down toward the main line. It goes under the track with the Burlington Northern Alco 430 on it. For now all of the building are just some quick things I threw together out of scrap from the boxes the foam risers came in.

Below is another shot that shows most of the layout. You can see where this starting track connects to the main oval on the far left.

Where the Alco engine is will be the viaduct made of three or four plate girder bridge pieces.

This forth photo below shows the left hand side of the layout where the trains curve around to the back side and go up the grade to the higher level. This is a 4% grade which is very steep in real world standards but necessary to get high enough for the bridges on a 4x8 board. This shot also shows the 4% grade back down on the inner loop. There is some misc. tyco rolling stock hanging out in the loop as well. The lonely siding coming into this loop is just some track I set there. I want to eventually have some industry in this area but it is open right now for future expansion.

The next photo (below) shows the back corner of the layout. The track stays at for inches off the ground as makes the corner. The pink foam arch shows where the track goes into the eventual tunnel I will build. This is the entrance to the tunnel. The trains go in here after coming down from the inner loop in the above photo and and going under the center of the figure eight. I'll make a nicer tunnel entrance of course. This will be a tricky bit as the track curves here but I need a bridge. I'll need a wide straight bridge that will accommodate the curving track. I may have to kitbash something together.

This shot below shows the exit of the tunnel on the right and you an see this is close to where we started.

The last shot is the view down the main area that crosses in the middle of the eight. This area looks pretty rough. I put the gandy dancer on there for fun. The track on the right is not hooked up right now. It is going to be a siding for the industries on the right. The track on the left is the main line. You can see a tiny bit of the track (far left) that will eventually spur off to the industrial area in the left hand loop. This main bridge in the center will eventually have three tracks going under it.

Well that's it! Nothing is glued down yet, just held down with pins. I think I may start gluing the foam risers tonight. They were so nice to work with. Everything went together very quickly.

Curious to hear your thoughts. I'd actually like to have another loop in here somewhere to get an even longer circuit run but I can't wrap my head around how to make the curves work. I think this will be enough as is. It is fun to watch. Maybe I can pt up a video some time soon.

~CamdenLine
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 178  ~  Member Since: July 02 2010  ~  Last Visit: August 22 2023 Alert Moderator 

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - July 06 2010 :  9:21:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
I love where you're going with the layout. That should be a lot of fun.

My only concern with it is the drywall. That stuff's not too sturdy. Let's hear some other opinions, but if it were me I would replace it with a sheet of plywood, or even particle board if you want to go a little cheaper. I'm just afraid that it's going to start sagging, or even worse break off when you or a kid leans on it.

An easy, relatively inexpensive thing to do would be make a 4x8 frame from cheap 1x4s--basically a rectangle with a couple supports across it. Then nail the 4x8 sheet of particle or plywood over it. I don't know what things cost where you're at, but I could get this done at the nearby Menards for under $20 if I used the cheapest particle board.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1166  ~  Member Since: October 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - July 06 2010 :  9:40:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I love the track layout you have! Lots of tunnels and bridges. It should be loads of fun to run. I can't wait to see it once you start getting scenery on it

cheez
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - July 06 2010 :  10:13:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Lookin' good Camden!!
Walt

Luck, usually comes dressed in work clothes...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CamdenLine
Little Six

Camden Line

Posted - July 06 2010 :  10:42:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CamdenLine to Buddylist
Thanks for the comments everyone. I will certainly post photos as it comes along. The reason I went with the drywall wasn't simply cost. It was already in the basement and I don't have a vehicle that can move 4x8 of anything. I'm also not sure a 4x8 sheet of drywall will fit down the stairs in this house since there was some re-modeling before we moved in and the stairwell is extremely tight. I may eventually build a light 1x4 frame under it if I feel like I need more support.

~CamdenLine
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 178  ~  Member Since: July 02 2010  ~  Last Visit: August 22 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - July 06 2010 :  11:40:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
I think that would work. It shouldn't be too hard to transport 1x4's and get them down the stairs. Then you wouldn't have to worry as much about breaking the drywall. I'm not trying to tell you it's wrong, I just don't want to see you build a nice layout and then the kid leans on it and it collapses. Trust me, kids can be tough on trains.

Another option would be to get some plywood, and cut it down to sections. An 8x4 sheet could be cut down to two 4x4's, or 2x4's, then carried down the stairs and assembled over a 1x4 frame. You just have to have the supports running where the seams of the plywood panels meet.

And don't let awkward space or unusual materials get you down. Nobody here is going to judge the "quality" of your layout, unlike some other sites. My layout is in a garage/shed building that's hard to explain. Unheated, uncooled, when I go out at night the bugs swarm on the lights. It was that or nothing, so I did what I had to. Someday I'll post pics of the place because it's actually kind of unusual and historic.

Edited by - burlington77 on July 06 2010 11:52:56 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1166  ~  Member Since: October 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

mytyco
Mikado

FECAvatar

Posted - July 07 2010 :  05:35:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mytyco to Buddylist
Hi CamdenLine,

I like what you have going so far. Your layout is twice the size of mine LOL!
The big concern for me as well, is the drywall. Once drywall starts to sag and or flex, It just gets worse and worse until it falls apart. It happens very quickly too. I would just hate to see you get all your track and things glued/nailed down to have it fall apart on you. I like burlington77's idea of getting some plywood and cutting it to fit down the stairs. I think you will be very glad you did.

Whatever you decide, Please continue to share pictures of your progress.

Thanks
Mike
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 790  ~  Member Since: April 30 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 21 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

smokie
Hudson

smokie

Posted - July 07 2010 :  11:59:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add smokie to Buddylist
i would trash the drywall & get osb board on a 1x4 frame. if you can't get the 4x8 sheet downstairs, cut it in half & carry two pieces. drywall is trash & it will not hold up.

i do like your design. i was thinking of doing something like that, but i'm concerned with it slowing down going up & running away when going down. i like to run long trains (20 cars) & it might give me trouble.

jerry
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 553  ~  Member Since: January 14 2009  ~  Last Visit: August 29 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - July 07 2010 :  6:30:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
Jerry's right. OSB is the proper name for what I called particle board.

derfberger
Hudson

toby & Dindi

Posted - July 07 2010 :  7:54:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add derfberger to Buddylist
Unfortunately other posters are right about the drywall. Moisture creates havoc with the stuff

whether it be O S B or drywall please give a coat of paint. Is there Any way you can paint what you have now as much as possible both sides and as important the edges?.

I really like your layout. It's something i am toying with i e a figure 8 over and under. Nice to hear a 4 % will work..

What are the poly graduated blocks that you have under the incline/decline. It looks like something "store bought".

If not, how did you get it so uniform and graduated

Fred

P S. Years ago we were moving from Chicago suburbs to Toledo Ohio.

I was at work on moving day. My wife called work and said the movers can't get your 4 x 8 layout up the basement stairs. It went down as a sheet, but huge mountains, lakes and bridges changed all that.

I said "Tell them to take my circular saw and cut it in half". It survived
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 424  ~  Member Since: June 25 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 30 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CamdenLine
Little Six

Camden Line

Posted - July 07 2010 :  10:04:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CamdenLine to Buddylist
Thanks for the comments everyone. Nothing is attached yet so I can easily switch to plywood. I'll have to be creative about it but should be possible. To answer a few questions:

Yes, the 4% grade is a pre-bought product. It is flexible and can be bent to any shape curve you want. It is just pinned in place right now but you glue it down and take the pins out when it is dry. It is designed to then have plaster cloth laid over it. It is made by Woodland Scenics. It is wonderfully easy to work. It comes in 2%, 3% or 4% grade. The 4% grade can be a lot for the engines to handle when loaded down. I suspect this is especially true with the Tyco engines but don't have anything else to compare. I had it going around pulling five or so cars and it struggled a bit even with fresh traction tires. I'm not too worried as I plan on running short trains and I may upgrade to a stronger engine at some point anyhow. I found that if the train has some speed going into the main grade it does a lot better. Of course, this translates into a lot of speed when it finally gets to the top. It requires a more hands-on technique at the controller but then again that is part of the fun. It does pick up some speed on the way down. I'm going to have some strategically placed re-railers around the track to help out on some of the spots where the cars are under more stress.

~CamdenLine
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 178  ~  Member Since: July 02 2010  ~  Last Visit: August 22 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tykowolf
Big Six

tml

Posted - July 08 2010 :  05:22:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tykowolf to Buddylist
I like that your layout has depth. Not flat = exciting! Also, the Woodland Scenics piers you're using are just the sort of thing I'm looking for. Beats using a concealed conventional trestle set which I'm not sure could cope with my heaviest loco. Thanks for the tip!
 Country: Australia  ~  Posts: 362  ~  Member Since: March 21 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 31 2011 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CamdenLine
Little Six

Camden Line

Posted - July 10 2010 :  11:36:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CamdenLine to Buddylist
Well I headed over to the local hardware store and lo and behold they sell plywood pre-cut into 2 foot by four foot sections all ready to pop into your car. So, construction of a new drywall free bench. The top is all done, I'm hoping to build some new legs tomorrow and be able to start re-setting up the layout this week. I'll keep everyone posted.

~CamdenLine

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - July 11 2010 :  05:36:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
Well I headed over to the local hardware store and lo and behold they sell plywood pre-cut into 2 foot by four foot sections.....

~CamdenLine

Originally posted by CamdenLine - July 10 2010 :  11:36:37 PM

Many places like Lowes and Home Depot now carry 2' x 4' plywood sections, makes it GREAT for the modular HO crowd to build sections. Glad your local carries them, too.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CamdenLine
Little Six

Camden Line

Posted - July 21 2010 :  10:04:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CamdenLine to Buddylist
The layout is coming along but mostly on hold as we await a new washer and dryer. Everything had to be moved to make room for the delivery which of course they haven't called about yet.

I decided to build a proper bench so that I can do wiring later instead of just having it all on top of a table. I'll be happy with that. It looks nice. I've started to put down plaster cloth and even a little paint so I'll post up progress photos as soon as everything is back in place. It will be fun to share. I also found my second box of train stuff buried at my parents house so I now have all of my old trees, a round table, more track, the turbo train engine (that will have to make an appearance on LOTW ) and most importantly, my four switches which saves me a nice chunk of change since those switches are offensively priced compared to plain old track.

~CamdenLine

CamdenLine
Little Six

Camden Line

Posted - September 29 2010 :  12:19:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CamdenLine to Buddylist
Time for an update!

I've made a lot of progress. I just finished plastering, laying trackbed and all of the track for the main circuit. There is more track to be added and a lot of landscaping to be done but I wanted to get to a point where I could at least run some trains. My son is super excited that the trains are running again.

Here's the breakdown of the shots.

This is the general overview. I decided to completely scrap the idea of placing it on the table and just went the full 9 yards with the benchwork. This will give me many more options later on with wiring. It also frees up my table.

The basic layout remains the same.

If you follow the track that the green Alco Century 430 is on you can follow the route. Trains head around the first bend and up a 4% grade along the back of the layout. If I had to change anything it would be to make this a 3% grade on the up slope as I realized I could have gotten away with a longer incline. Oh well.

In case you are curious, the strange assortment of cars being pulled by the Alco was a test to see how much it could pull up the grade. There are a mix of sizes but it seemed to really start to struggle wit 10 cars.

The top of the grade is clear on the other end of the layout. I have some conifers stuck up there. It may become a forest, we'll see, they are just set up there. The track bends around and crosses over a bridge. The little one on there is an old Tyco bridge which will be replaced eventually with something longer but I like having it on there for now. The track then goes back down a 4% grade and loops under the bridge. It heads to a tunnel and curves back to the front of the layout where it exits the tunnel.

So what's missing? A couple of things. The big empty area on the right will be an engine maintenance facility with two tracks that tie into the main line.

I have some roadbed standing in for track about where they will go. There will be a siding on the back side of the layout in that little triangular area. The main industry will be on the left and is going to be some kind of scrap metal recycling facility. Right now it is just a pile of pieces waiting to be kitbashed. This are will be accessed by a track that splits off just after the exit to the tunnel. The track will then cross over the three tracks at a 90° angle and go straight into the industrial area.

This shot is of the Alco C430 coming out of the tunnel. I am real happy with how the stonework turned out. It is all foam I hand carved. Looking at the photo I can see a pink spot. Oops!

Here's a similar shot but it shows more of the retaining wall as well.

Here's a shot of a Planters car, a little of the wall and the bridge. The bridge supports have not been carved yet so it just magically floats in midair.

Finally, here's a shot of the Alco coming through the trees. The trees themselves have that real plastic look so I'm eventually going to repaint the bark in a flat brown.

Hope you enjoyed looking!

~CamdenLine

Helm
Little Six

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - September 29 2010 :  06:56:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Helm to Buddylist
I love it!! Thanks for letting us watch it take shape!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 138  ~  Member Since: October 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 08 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

mytyco
Mikado

FECAvatar

Posted - September 29 2010 :  12:37:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mytyco to Buddylist
Hi CamdenLine,

WOW! looking good. I can't wait to see the scrap yard up and running. That is some nice bench work too.

Very nice work.

Mike
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 790  ~  Member Since: April 30 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 21 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CamdenLine
Little Six

Camden Line

Posted - September 29 2010 :  1:02:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CamdenLine to Buddylist
Thanks guys,

I got the basic idea for the benchwork from this series of videos. Very helpful.

~CamdenLine

smokie
Hudson

smokie

Posted - September 29 2010 :  3:27:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add smokie to Buddylist
looks real good. how does the engines act on the % grade? i wouls like to do that same layout, but i'm worried they will slow way down going up & run away going down.
jerry
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 553  ~  Member Since: January 14 2009  ~  Last Visit: August 29 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CamdenLine
Little Six

Camden Line

Posted - September 29 2010 :  6:49:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CamdenLine to Buddylist
The 4% grade on the downslope is absolutely no problem. The 4% on the up is a little rough. The engine started to struggle with 10 cars of mixed size. That was the Alco C430 that I re-motored with a cd motor. The Tyco seemed to crap out a few cars earlier. I don't have a more quality engine to try out. Something with a better motor could probably pull more. In reality, a train with too many cars looks kind of silly on this layout. I think my goal is to pull about 6 cars which is a length that seems to look good on this layout.

As mentioned above, the layout could have accommodated a 3% grade on the back hill which I think would make things easier on engines.

The little switcher can't make it up the hill with more than a couple cars. He's not really supposed to be back there though.

~CamdenLine

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 29 2010 :  7:31:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
lookin' good there Camden Liking the progress
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - September 29 2010 :  10:53:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Awesome! It all looks great so far. I especially like your tunnel portals. I'll have to go back and make some portals like that for my layout
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CamdenLine
Little Six

Camden Line

Posted - September 29 2010 :  11:15:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CamdenLine to Buddylist
Thanks! The portals are super easy. I'd still like to do a quick video some day of the process. Basically just score some lines in the foam, go over the lines with a nail head, paint, dry brush, done.

I still have the entrance portal to do as well as all of the bridge supports so there should be some opportunities to do a few videos.

~CamdenLine

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 29 2010 :  11:24:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
The portals are super easy

hehe I made my own tunnel portals back in 1991 in art class I know cause thats what I carved into them
Also need more trees Camden?

Edited by - microbusss on September 29 2010 11:35:36 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CamdenLine
Little Six

Camden Line

Posted - September 29 2010 :  11:54:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CamdenLine to Buddylist
Heh, need LOTS more trees.

~CamdenLine

CamdenLine
Little Six

Camden Line

Posted - December 14 2010 :  10:33:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CamdenLine to Buddylist
Another update is in order. A while back I got the Camden Line track all working in a continuous circuit. My son was really happy to have it all up and running finally. Constructing the layout isn’t quite as exciting for him as running trains. I'd been working on some landscaping lately but last Friday I had some time on my hands and decided it was finally time to make some changes to the track itself. There are two areas I had planned on developing but at least in the initial track-lay I didn’t include access to them. Partially, I had to wait until the budget allowed me to buy some more specific track pieces.

Here's the first area that needed work. In the middle of one of my loops I'll eventually make an industrial area. I'm leaning toward a rail scrapping facility. In order for trains to access the area, there needed to be two crossings. At the bottom, the track needs to cross the line that leads to and from the engine maintenance facility. Moments after that, the track has to cross the main line.

Here's a before shot. I had already laid roadbed so I could visualize how it would look.

I used Atlas 90° crossings but had to cut them down to size as they include a lot of extra track. Here's a photo as I was checking my cuts.

Finally, tonight I put it all together and added the connection from the main line. The paint on the ties is still wet in the photo. I still need to re-lay the line going to the engine maintenance facility. You can see the right hand track heading under the bridge is actually missing, it is just roadbed right now.

Speaking of the bridge, I also just installed the double plate girder bridge. It is a riding a little high and is also unpainted right now but will be a kind of burnt umber color eventually.

Here's the prototype bridge I was inspired by. This is on my bike route. I love the colors and patina.

~CamdenLine

CNVIATyco
Big Boy

BC Rail

Posted - September 30 2011 :  7:43:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNVIATyco to Buddylist
Very nice. Ive Got To Biuld A Layout That was Biult By Me.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1102  ~  Member Since: July 28 2011  ~  Last Visit: July 01 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CamdenLine
Little Six

Camden Line

Posted - October 01 2011 :  10:17:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CamdenLine to Buddylist
I need to do another update. Looking at the old photos on here it has changed a lot! I've moved track, added a lot of ground foam bushes, kitbashed a bunch of buildings and more. Just tonight I cut two inches off a main hillside to make the underpass wider. It looks better and more correct with the double plate girder bridge and perhaps more importantly allowed me to remove a deadly s-curve that was derailing my long streamlined amtrak trains.

I'll try to get the camera out some day for some shots.

~CamdenLine

CamdenLine
Little Six

Camden Line

Posted - March 16 2012 :  9:39:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CamdenLine to Buddylist
Time for another update. I'm working now on my small yard. It isn't very big but since I'm working on a 4x8 layout everything has to be representative or suggestive of something larger. The yard is comprised of three switches and four tracks.

In order to make it work, the first switch is actually a 3 way switch with one path being for the main line and the remaining two for the yard. This space saving move allowed me to have the entrance to the yard on a curve in the main line. At this point I still need to ballast and put in a dirt access road over the main line.

These are the bumpers I'm adding at the end of each track.

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - March 16 2012 :  10:28:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
Like your switch set up for your yard - Great work
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 17 2012 :  1:17:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Kirk ; I hope you dont mind a idea.
** JUST MAYBE !!!
* Not a great picture but one I could do quickly.
* Open up underneath hill. Extend 4 tracks to board edge. Build a lift out platform for the hill surface above. This is for the train station building above the hill. This station area can be detailed with platforms between track 1 and 2, and past track 4. This will give you 4 longer storage tracks, 3 with platform access and 1 for trains straight through. Imaginary, yes. But it does increase your off main line storage track space for passenger yard. You could store a couple of passenger trains at the platform and as openings on the main lines occur run passenger trains in and out of the station.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CamdenLine
Little Six

Camden Line

Posted - March 17 2012 :  1:50:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CamdenLine to Buddylist
Hey Frank, nice idea. I've often thought about other ways to expand and squeeze in track here or there. It is funny you mentioned the idea of cutting through the hillside and continuing on. I was just thinking about that the other night. It would certainly give me more room but it would do so at the expense of the scrap yard I am building on the other side of the hill. The idea of having a kind of platform over the yard like that is neat though. So many possibilities. That's part of the fun. It is so easy to change this stuff around that when I get sick of it a certain way in a few years I can always just switch it around.

Working on a 4x8 it is always interesting to see how you can fit everything in.

~CamdenLine

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 17 2012 :  2:44:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist

Kirk ;
*Some say that you layout isn't done till you cant fit one more inch of track of the board.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - March 19 2012 :  1:57:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
CamdenLine, very cool track layout. I like the overall look of it. Remind me of mine only bigger haha. Keep us posted!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 531  ~  Member Since: January 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: July 10 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CamdenLine
Little Six

Camden Line

Posted - February 03 2013 :  12:20:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CamdenLine to Buddylist
Wow, it has been almost a year since I have posted anything about the layout. I've been poking at it here and there making small improvements. This weekend I finally got around to painting the long bridge. It had been the shiny unpainted black plastic since the beginning. Black is a fine color for bridges as many companies used to paint them black but what with the state of the economy, no one wants to be spending money painting bridges anymore. Newer bridges are often made of weathering steel which forms a natural rust coating on the exterior. It basically protects like paint but you never have to do anything. I posted a photo of a weathering steel bridge further up in this topic.

Well, I finally go around to putting on the paint. It was airbrushed in many layers using very cheap craft paint from Michaels watered down 50% with windex. I forget what the two colors used were. I can certainly go look if someone is interested.

The central pier for the bridge is a few millimeters high so the bridge isn't exactly level. I'll need to work on that before I solder the track.

Here's a close up. It isn't quite as bright orange as this photo makes it look.

Finally, a shot of the hillside just after the bridge. I recently covered the area with grass and added some trees I also picked up at Michaels. I had a gift card and they were selling the trees in 4 packs for $10 which seemed reasonable. The quality is okay.

There are other areas I've made progress on. I'll try to get more photos later.

~CamdenLine

Tyco Nut
Big Six

Posted - February 03 2013 :  2:05:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tyco Nut to Buddylist
Very nice! Glad to see you're doing well with the layout and keeping us updated with progress.
Starting my Tyco and other favorites collection over again after 37 years.
My still in progress list of inventory and wantlist: tyconut.com
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 396  ~  Member Since: November 02 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - February 03 2013 :  4:53:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
That's definitely a unique way to do an over/under figure-8! I don't think any train sets come with that anymore, though Bachmann does offer an E-Z Track expander set for just that (if you get a train set with just a circle of E-Z track). The only figure-8 set Life-Like also currently offers uses a 90-degree cross track.

Over/under layouts are usually an interesting novelty at times, though I'm keeping my layout mostly flat...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CamdenLine
Little Six

Camden Line

Posted - February 03 2013 :  6:06:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CamdenLine to Buddylist
Mytyco commented a while back about wanting to see the scrap yard up and running. It's probably the least developed area on the layout but there are a few things there. I am thinking it will be part rail scrapping and part just general scrapping. The main building on the property was lightly modified from an old lumber yard I had sitting around. I think you can still buy this from several manufacturers including Atlas.

I have removed much of the innards to make them into bays where a truck can back up and load/unload. I also removed the shed from next to it and relocated it elsewhere. The shed was replaced with a large scratch built propane tank.

The yard is serviced by several vehicles including this Volvo. It is technically a log forwarder but it works great for moving large scrap like these rails around the yard.

The yard also features a walthers ferrous shredder which I don't have any photos of right now. One of the big things I need to do is create tons of scrap. Just one more winter project....

~CamdenLine

ChessieRR
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - February 04 2013 :  1:29:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChessieRR to Buddylist
Great looking layout! I really like how much track you have been able to fit it while still having lots of space for individual scenes. The scrapyard scene looks cool. How would you go about making piles of scrap? I know crushed cars can be made from tinfoil, but beyond that I have no clue, and the scrap piles made commercially seem to be pretty expensive.

ChessieRR
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 332  ~  Member Since: February 24 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 26 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 04 2013 :  3:14:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I don't think the tunnels are high enough for say double stack containers or auto racks hehe
oh well good layout anyway
IF I ever get to do mine what I mentioned will have taller tunnel clearances

CamdenLine
Little Six

Camden Line

Posted - February 04 2013 :  7:23:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CamdenLine to Buddylist
The tunnels are tight on clearance. Double stacked containers just barely hit though that is on a flatbed car. If I used well cars I think they would clear as they are closer to the track. I'm not sure the well cars could make the tight turns on the layout. Generally, long cars with body mounted couplers tend to be trouble. On a 4x8 layout it it tricky to get the second level much higher. I used a 4 percent grade which is pushing the steepness of the grade. That brings the second level up to 4 inches. An auto loader is not a problem though.

-CamdenLine

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 05 2020 :  12:32:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Nice photos. Any updates?

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CamdenLine
Little Six

Camden Line

Posted - July 06 2020 :  5:15:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CamdenLine to Buddylist
Alas, no update photos to share. My son grew up and lost interest in the layout. Then we moved and I had to make a tough decision. There was no space for a layout in the new house and it wasn't going to look good to sell the house with the layout in place so sadly it got taken apart. I gave the table and some of the landforms to a young dad who wanted to do a layout for his kids. So, it lives on in some form somewhere. I still have all the buildings and engines and such. Maybe they will come back out some day. It was a fun ride while it lasted. I tend to move from one hobby to the next and others have filled my time. Everything is cyclical and who knows, trains may roll back into my life some day if grandkids become part of my life.

~CamdenLine

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 06 2020 :  5:55:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Argh, we lost another good man!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 07 2020 :  12:14:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Well the main blessing is you have pleasant memories of the hobby.
And as you said the equipment may come back to life one day.
Best time would be around Christmas to rekindle those good times.

Of course anytime before the winter would be great as well.
We will see.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 07 2020 :  12:18:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist
Happy ten year anniversary for you here Kirk.
Curious if your nickname refers to the Philadelphia suburb.

Hope everything is going well.
Your location listed in your history took a beating recently.

At least a hobby gets your mind off of social problems.
If more people had a positive hobby our world would be better.

Edited by - wks on July 07 2020 12:26:37 AM
  Previous Topic: Goodbye to Steam Topic Next Topic: Modern Trains Come to Henley  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000