Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 15 ]  [ Total: 15 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Bachmann Motive Power/Rolling Stock & Accessories
 Gauging interest in Plasticville.
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: new model trains seen outside of hobby shops Topic Next Topic: Bachmann Operating Caboose  

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - December 27 2006 :  8:15:57 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
How many others besides myself have interest in Plasticville? It's somewhat amusing how I attained my interest.

At the last train show I attended in February. I was carefully rummaging through a very large plastic storage container. The seller had tons of stuff just laying around in there, all unpackaged, looked like a mess. I pulled out an old steam engine, he said $5, I said sold. I then pulled out an old plasticville contemporary home, he said $2, I said "Let me see if all the parts are in here". Another dealer comes over seeing what is transpiring on the ground there. The guy selling the trains tells me $25 for the whole box. I said sold but it was strange, it sounded like a duet. Before I could say anything the seller told the other dealer he was talking to me.

Immediately I was offered a deal for that steam engine. It was a Bachmann with a busted gear (which I hear they are notorious for) and no tender. I told him I would stop over at this table later. I ended up parlaying that into a mint Rivarossi Vanderbilt B&O tender and a brand new NYC C-424 Shell for yet another engine in the magic box.

I took the box out to the car, it was heavy and I wasn't lugging that around all day. I took a cursory look through everything so I wouldn't make any duplicate purchases. It was just a ton of plasticville stuff.

Once I got home and started assembling these I began to realize what a great deal landed in my lap.

I'll just mention all the complete Plasticville buildings.

2 colonial homes complete with weather vanes and TV antennae.
1 colonial under construction.
1 freight depot.
1 passenger station.
1 coaling tower.
3 ranches.
1 contemporary house.
The larger cathedral complete with bell in the tower.
1 5&10 store.
1 post office.
1 Mirror Motors Car dealership. I understand this one is somewhat rare.
1 Motel with office and drive through, and of course the pool with diving board and ladder.
I might be forgetting something also, there was that much stuff.

As far as incomplete, I would say I have about half the parts needed to construct any of the aforementioned items.

The railroad I will be building in the basement will be somewhat unique. I've always wanted that professional super realistic pike. I'm planning on building 2 levels with a helix. There is a wall that's in the way but after some consideration the wall is perfect. The larger part of the layout will be that realistic side and on the other the towns of Plasticville and Tycotown will reside. This will satisfy both of my desires.

It didn't hit me until later why the guy gave me such a great deal. I went to the show very early as I bought the early admission tickets. There was quite a line of cars ahead of me and parking lots on both sides. Some poor guy is lugging all this stuff in a light cold rain and attempting to cross the traffic. 3 different cars ahead of me cut him off. I was cussing them privately because I could see this happening. I pulled my car sideways and stopped so nobody could pass me, believe they would have, and waved the pedestrians on.

It's a small world my friends and you never know what will come back to haunt you or in this case something nice can happen.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator 

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - December 28 2006 :  1:17:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
I'm right there with you...just put up an expansion section for my layout and have been toying...pun intended...to set it up with TYCO, Cox, Bachmann action accessories and the like. Like your idea of do two levels and having one be toys and the other prototypical. [}:)]
Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
http://ho-scaletrains.net
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1658  ~  Member Since: December 03 2005  ~  Last Visit: February 07 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - December 28 2006 :  2:20:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
Yes, I'm doing the multilevel thing but not like you mentioned. (After review of my post I wasn't as clear as I could have been).

The wall will be the division between "reality" and fantasy. The larger area will have the more realistic scenery on both levels while the upper and lower levels on the other side of the wall will be fantasy. If the finances allow it Disneyland might make an appearance not far from Tycotown.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - December 30 2006 :  8:20:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
quote:
I might be forgetting something also, there was that much stuff.

Originally posted by New York Central - December 27 2006 :  7:15:57 PM

I was just looking at my list, I forgot a bunch, twas a big box twasn't it.

1 Gas Station
1 Split level house
1 Factory

I know it's not plasticville but the clincher I spotted when asked if I wanted it was the 7-11 fully assembled. Turns out that was complete also. I would rate it a 9
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - January 01 2007 :  12:34:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
One thing I always thought would be cool, would be to build a layout in two halves... more or less identical, with one half being mostly Tyco / Bachamnn / Lifelike / other vintage "toy" kits and stuff... and the other half either being the same kits painted and superdetailed, or similar yet more prototypical offerings.

There would be overlapping staging to allow a train to pass from one half to the other and "change" from a proto-looking train, to a cartoony RTR version...

It's tempting to build an HO-scale version of the Stargate at said transition points... [:D]
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - January 24 2007 :  5:48:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Poor sick Bastards every one of us!
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

choochin3
Mikado

USA

Posted - January 24 2007 :  10:14:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add choochin3 to Buddylist
I collect O gauge Plasticville stuff.
I just like the simple design and they work just fine for my toy train layout.
NYC,when you put them together don't be tempted to glue 'em.
That kills the value (if you're concerned about that)

Carl T.

President of the Cape James Terminal RR.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 691  ~  Member Since: April 16 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 01 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - January 24 2007 :  10:41:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
How frustrating - about the only way to get half of 'em to stay together is to glue 'em.

In even sadder developments - you can now buy Plasticville kits - PRE-ASSEMBLED [V]. As if they were so hard to put together. And they're not even painted or detailed or anything - just the same plain molded plastic parts, put together for pennies in China and sold for 3 times the kit price.

Yet another reason I weep for the state of society.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - October 31 2021 :  7:37:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

A lot can be done to bring realism to Plasticville.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5877  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: new model trains seen outside of hobby shops Topic Next Topic: Bachmann Operating Caboose  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000