Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 28 ]  [ Total: 29 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Polling Station
 Ahm VS Tyco MDT
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Conventional vs. Roadbed track Topic Next Topic: Favorite Tyco Steamer?  

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - March 10 2010 :  2:21:12 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Poll Question:
Which do you think is better? The ahm or Tyco MDT?

Choices:

Tyco
ahm
both
niether
dunno
equally both

(Anonymous Vote)

" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: March 25 2024 Alert Moderator 

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - March 13 2010 :  6:05:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by Redneck Justin - March 10 2010 :  2:21:12 PM

Uh...what's MDT stand for?

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

x2f
Switcher

TycoLogoAvatar-1

Posted - May 21 2010 :  10:48:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add x2f to Buddylist
My Tyco out lasted the AHM. I actually used to race them on my childhood layout. The motor of the AHM MDT burnt out. I remember it smoking and smelling. The Tyco one kept going even after accidently spilling chocolate milk on it (I was about 6 at the time).
X2F
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 60  ~  Member Since: June 21 2009  ~  Last Visit: November 11 2011 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - May 21 2010 :  11:34:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
That's quite a story, x2f. I've got several childhood toys with mysterious food remains on them. As for the poll, I went with "dunno" because I only have the AHM. I got if for 2 bucks because it was labeled "don't run." I opened it up and found a wad of fiber around the gears. Once removed, all is well and it runs like a champ.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1166  ~  Member Since: October 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - May 22 2010 :  12:08:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
Hey...what about Bachmann's...

Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

detroitterminal
Switcher

Posted - May 22 2010 :  01:42:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add detroitterminal to Buddylist
I believe Bachmann's locomotive is a WDT as it has three axles. (I only have AHM's also.)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 81  ~  Member Since: March 14 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 10 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - May 22 2010 :  10:58:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by Redneck Justin - March 10 2010 :  2:21:12 PM

Uh...what's MDT stand for?
Jerry

Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - March 13 2010 :  6:05:45 PM

Oh, THAT MDT. I never had the Tyco versions, I did have an AHM, I think, and it burned up. Still have it somewhere in storage. So I really can't compare the two myself.

Jerry

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - May 24 2010 :  09:18:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
I think the Tyco is a lot better beacuse it has all wheel drive unlike the ahm which can't pull much.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: March 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - April 01 2012 :  12:43:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Didn't Bachmann make an MDT as well? Or was that a DDT? Hell I dunno! Thats pretty sad, I can't remember!
~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - April 01 2012 :  10:22:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
Didn't Bachmann make an MDT as well?

Originally posted by EM-1 - April 01 2012 :  12:43:49 AM

So, what are the Marx and Lionel versions called? They MDT's as well?

Jerry

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - April 01 2012 :  4:43:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
The Lionel switcher was a geared version of the Athearn Hustler they made for them that Lionel marketed as a Husky, and the Marx was their own take on the Hustler. The Hustler had no prototype, but was an approximation of an industrial switcher. Athearn came up with that name, I don't know what Marx called theirs.

http://www.guidetozscale.com/html/athearn_hustler.html

The Plymouth MDT was a real prototype, and I think Bachmann is the best in terms of scale. The AHM's are oversized because of the large motor, at least OO (because the AHM was the first in 1965), and I think the Tycos may be too. I don't know if any MDT's had 6 wheels, though.

The article in the above link mentions the 60's Tyco center cab, and identifies it as an accurate Plymouth CR4. The shell detail is crude, but I really like them. It's a shame they didn't make them very long.

The Tyco Depot
Edited by - NickelPlate759 on April 01 2012 4:45:59 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - February 28 2014 :  10:06:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Hey...what about Bachmann's...

Originally posted by shaygetz - May 22 2010 :  12:08:19 AM

I know this has nothing to do with the poll but, that layout of yours looks so realistic.How did you do it?

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."

Edited by - kovacste000 on February 28 2014 10:06:27 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Conventional vs. Roadbed track Topic Next Topic: Favorite Tyco Steamer?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000