Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 14 ]  [ Total: 14 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 Experience with resin kits?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: info Topic Next Topic: Back after a long week.  

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - December 07 2009 :  4:05:29 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hi guys:

Just wanted to ask if anyone has experience with resin kits. I'm looking at buying one and wondered what issues I might expect to confront...

Thanks,
Gareth

Just a Random Loco shot, NOT the kit I'm interested.

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator 

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - December 07 2009 :  4:30:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
from my experience,firstly lots of trimming to do,sharp knifes needed to cut lots of bits out,secondly very lightweight,so extra chassis weight needed,and thirdly lots of patience,but in this day and age unless its a rare body,in my opinion,a lot of time spent,when ready mades are there for the picking ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

graftonterminalrr
Little Six

Calvin

Posted - December 07 2009 :  5:06:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add graftonterminalrr to Buddylist
OK - Resin tends to be brittle, or at least more brittle than styrene. Therefore, be careful when pressing against the shell for any reason.

Standard model glues do not work on resin. The only cement you should be using is cyanoacrylate.

If you have to drill holes for detail parts, stanchions, etc, your drill bit will clog up quickly and the material tends to be slower going than with styrene. Patience is a virtue here.

If you have a warped part, you should be able to straighten it by placing it in hot water and letting it get warm. Then, very very very carefully, bend it to the shape it should be.

Nothing else I can add here other than make sure to wash the resin parts prior to painting. Makers use talc (or talcum powder) as a mold release and paint doesn't really stick to it well.

Kris Carver-Seaboyer

Modelling the Grafton Terminal Railway, set in New Brunswick, Canada in the 1978-1984 time frame
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 166  ~  Member Since: October 28 2009  ~  Last Visit: February 25 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: info Topic Next Topic: Back after a long week.  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000