Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 17 ]  [ Total: 18 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Motive Power
 FOUR WHEEL DRIVE!
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: TYCO PENNSYLVANIA RR ALCO C430 Topic Next Topic: TYCO RARE Grand Trunk RR ALCO C430 #4301  

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - November 18 2009 :  2:14:39 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Thanks to a tip from across the pond, I snagged some great classic Plymouth switchers, BIN mint in the box. Even with the exchange rate and shipping it was less than trying to get even three or two of them in this condition anywhere else!

But I don't think I've ever seen the packaging they were in - not even in photos. It's great. Very clean and elegant IMHO. But the part I loved the best was the phrasing used on the top:

Perfect for all those off-rail adventures!

Here's the rest of the lot:

The Bell Telephone one is actually "hidden in plain sight" on a box for a very common Tyco accessory...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator 

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - November 18 2009 :  2:27:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
Damnit! Mine is only 2 wheel drive haha. Did AHM have a copy of this? I have the GE one I just picked up last week...and promply blew the motor after 10 mins of running
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 531  ~  Member Since: January 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: July 10 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - November 18 2009 :  2:32:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Let's hear it for the electronics industry, old school! So did they have an electronics industry series, an auto industry series, etc.? I had no idea they ever made one in a Bell System scheme. Boy, does that foursome bring back memories. Makes me want to break out my oscilloscope and tube tester. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, like a vacuum tube filament.

Btw, I see holes for handrails, but are they included? I assume the 4WD banner was to differentiate them from their competition with only one driven axle, like the AHM units.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

mix3d3m0ti0n5
Little Six

Chessie Wink

Posted - November 18 2009 :  2:55:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mix3d3m0ti0n5 to Buddylist
Love the 4 wheel drive notation. that was funny to see right out of the box. And who'd think that getting stuff across the pond would take less time than from CA!

Nickel Plate - saw some vacuum tubes in use this weekend. The sound was "better than live" with them. SWEEET!

~anna
-----------------------------------
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 105  ~  Member Since: December 23 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - November 18 2009 :  3:05:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
The handrails are alll sealed and included with the warranty card, tucked in a pocket cleverly created by the folds of the insert.

It's the only thing I dislike about these: I love how they look with handrails, and would install them yesterday, BUT they can't fit back in the box when you do that. I call this "Roundhouse Disease" as I hated how as soon as you put the couplers on a Roundhouse car, its box becomes useless, naught for a lousy 1/3". Of course I have since discovered Tyco/Mantua and some Athearns, etc were guilty of this as well.

Anyway. Memories? Let's see...

As a kid I remember my mom having to drive to the local (Illinois) Bell Telephone office in Chicago to pay the bill and exchange phones. I remember she was not happy after AT&T was created and took over...

Our Avocado Green gas clothes dryer was built by Westinghouse before my time, and outlived three washing machines. It currently survives in a barn loft at my in-laws'. When my dad replaced the washer for the 4th time, it came with a matching dryer. So I brought that beast of a dryer here in case we moved somewhere that used gas. Which we haven't. Just as well, since my in-laws scavenged it first for a drive belt . In the meantime, our current (electric) dryer came secondhand from them, free, since it was broken tossed in another barn until I replaced a drive belt, element, and sensor. It's since been threatening to outlive the washer we bought new at the time. Who made it? General Electric. Funny how that works, ha!

Who hasn't owned something built by RCA over the years? For me it's been a walkman, TV, stereo, and random secondhand stuff. The neighbors across the street have a vintage RCA Tube Warehouse gathering dust in their basement... next time I find a tube radio they're getting a call from me. It's a shame RCA is a mere shadow company of their former selves though. Just a token brand name for foreigners to slap on crap to sell back to us, gone the way of Zenith, Admiral, Goldstar, Emerson, Westinghouse, Polaroid, et al and counting...

Edited by - GoingInCirclez on November 18 2009 3:10:09 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - November 18 2009 :  4:21:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
so for the big question,what year would you say they are ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 18 2009 :  5:11:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
gotta find these someday & Bell System is extinct
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - November 18 2009 :  6:29:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
quote:

Who hasn't owned something built by RCA over the years?

Originally posted by GoingInCirclez-November 18 2009: 3:05:21 PM

Tell any of the young 'uns out there to adjust their vertical hold, and they'll just look at you cross-eyed.

I was bequeathed an old Hammarlund shortwave receiver by a Ham friend who is now deceased, and after fixing it up it will handily keep the house warm in the winter months, and the top doubles nicely as a griddle for frying up breakfast. Can't stop it with a gun, but oyyy, the electric bills...

Another legendary name that now exists only as a tampo print is Grundig. The Eton Corporation owns the name now, and produces some excellent shortwave receivers that are plagued with frustrating QC issues. Ah, progress.

Btw, what's with the fan in the middle of the cab roof? Blow drier for the crew? Cooling for the vacuum tubes?

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - November 18 2009 :  7:06:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
That vent is for the toilet. Duhhhhhhhhhhh...

I have an old Philips reel-to-reel player that uses tubes. Vacuum tubes seem to give it a life of it's own, plus they get nice and warm if you feel like burning your fingertips!

Vertical hold? Never heard of it. Magic eye tubes? Gimme gimme gimme!

Oh, nice engines GIC.

- Matt -
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1021  ~  Member Since: August 24 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - November 18 2009 :  7:07:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
quote:

Tell any of the young 'uns out there to adjust their vertical hold, and they'll just look at you cross-eyed.
Originally posted by NickelPlate759-November 18 2009: 6:29:45 PM

Sadly, I understand that.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 18 2009 :  7:14:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Who hasn't owned something built by RCA over the years?

oh how about these?

or how about this?

I use it to keep my records in I do own a RCA DVD Player a really old 8-track player
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - November 18 2009 :  7:14:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
RCA: "His Master's Voice" remember????

RCA Black and White TV, "...get up and change the channel yourself!"

-G.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - November 18 2009 :  7:20:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
Wait, a minute, if you don't adjust the vertical hold properly, the picture on your TV flies past vertically repeatedly with a black bar in the middle?

I know what I'm talking about, but can't explain it in fancy grown-up words.

- Matt -
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1021  ~  Member Since: August 24 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - November 18 2009 :  10:20:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
That takes me beyond envy into the netherworld of avarice...great score.
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - November 21 2009 :  07:20:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
quote:

Vertical hold? Never heard of it. Magic eye tubes? Gimme gimme gimme!

Originally posted by MM 1498-November 18 2009: 7:06:02 PM

Matt, that amp is a thing of beauty. I have an old Grundig shortwave receiver with a tuning eye, but the tuning cord broke, and now the lights are on, and no one's home. Probably needs to be re-tubed & re-capped.

Btw, there was a horizontal hold too.

The Tyco Depot

GROWLER
Switcher

Posted - March 05 2010 :  7:45:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GROWLER to Buddylist
what's a good price for these beasts?

SEMPER GUMBY
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 9  ~  Member Since: April 30 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 23 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - November 27 2020 :  11:00:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist
quote:
Thanks to a tip from across the pond, I snagged some great classic Plymouth switchers, BIN mint in the box. Even with the exchange rate and shipping it was less than trying to get even three or two of them in this condition anywhere else!

But I don't think I've ever seen the packaging they were in - not even in photos. It's great. Very clean and elegant IMHO. But the part I loved the best was the phrasing used on the top:

Perfect for all those off-rail adventures!

Here's the rest of the lot:

The Bell Telephone one is actually "hidden in plain sight" on a box for a very common Tyco accessory...

Originally posted by GoingInCirclez - November 18 2009 :  2:14:39 PM

Not easy to find those units.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5878  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 28 2020 :  12:31:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Another Tyco variation I’d never known.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - November 28 2020 :  09:19:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
I love that classic packaging
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 28 2020 :  11:23:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
update: I traded one of those RCA tube signs for trains
Sold the RCA Videodisc display to a guy from Minnesota!
He drove here & got it!
most records sold off too!

Still have one of the signs & the banners
  Previous Topic: TYCO PENNSYLVANIA RR ALCO C430 Topic Next Topic: TYCO RARE Grand Trunk RR ALCO C430 #4301  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000