Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Motive Power
 The Trouble with Tycos
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: C430 Spotting feature Topic Next Topic: Brown Box F-9A Grind noise  

LoopnHook
Big Six

Crusader

Posted - November 15 2009 :  8:18:28 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add LoopnHook to Buddylist
Its amazing how when you get a Tyco car, engine or whatever, the piece seems to multiply. They like to crawl into a dark spot and clone themselves. Get one and the next thing you know you have three.

A couple of weeks ago I got an orange NYC 0-4-0 Booster loco off evil bay. You may recall it, I posted it on LotW. Well, I played with it awhile then put it away in my closet (known by members of my family as Dads vault). Today I was rummaging through the vault and low and behold found my little Booster had multiplied to three. I have no idea how it happens but its been happening to me for years. Now, I know this sounds like a tall tale being spun by an old man and I care less if you all doubt it just as long as my Madame Queen keeps going for it, hook, line and sinker!

Anyway here are the latest clones to take up residence in the magical closet of surprise.

213-C 0-4-0 Booster NYC (yellow) found in the T-5906 "Minute Man" set (1959)

213-D 0-4-0 Booster NYC (black) cataloged 1960-1967

213-L 0-4-0T Booster U.S. Army (olive drab) found in the T-6504 "Military Special" set (1965)

Update

Well the mystical, magical closet cloned up another this week

213-B 0-4-0 Booster UP (black) cataloged 1961-1967

Loopy

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

Edited by - LoopnHook on November 28 2009 10:11:07 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 200  ~  Member Since: October 29 2006  ~  Last Visit: August 29 2010 Alert Moderator 

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - November 15 2009 :  9:32:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
I'd try putting some cash in that closet and see if that multiplies.
I'm working on one like the one in the second photo at the moment. I had to rebuild the rear steps but other than that it's in nice shape.

Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

VintageHO
Mikado

Tyco Time

Posted - November 15 2009 :  9:56:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add VintageHO to Buddylist
I think I found the prototype to the 0-4-0T and The 0-6-0T. I could not get a good front shot because of the turntable. You can see the front in the background. Pictures were taken last month at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania Strasburg,PA

Numquam Immoderatio Satis Est
(Too Much Is Never Enough )

Edited by - VintageHO on November 15 2009 10:00:10 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 632  ~  Member Since: January 23 2006  ~  Last Visit: June 21 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 15 2009 :  10:01:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
say do that flat car behind loco say DODX?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14697  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - November 15 2009 :  10:14:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
I just remotored mine...same shell, what brand?

Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 15 2009 :  10:19:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
change that worthless bulb to a LED
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14697  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - November 15 2009 :  10:26:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
quote:
change that worthless bulb to a LED

Originally posted by microbusss-November 15 2009: 10:19:43 PM

Edited by - shaygetz on November 15 2009 10:27:23 PM
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - November 15 2009 :  10:46:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
quote:
Its amazing how when you get a Tyco car, engine or whatever, the piece seems to multiply. They like to crawl into a dark spot and clone themselves. Get one and the next thing you know you have three.
Originally posted by LoopnHook-November 15 2009: 8:18:28 PM

I do not find this the least bit troubling

True story. Tony (GIC) was over my house last night and we started digging through my Tyco/Mantua engines. I happened upon a third C&NW GP20, looked at him and said something along the lines of "How many of these do I have? I don't remember having this many!" If you collect long enough that leprechaun with the magic cloning dust sneaks up on the best of us.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

LoopnHook
Big Six

Crusader

Posted - November 28 2009 :  10:16:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add LoopnHook to Buddylist
quote:
I'd try putting some cash in that closet and see if that multiplies.
I'm working on one like the one in the second photo at the moment. I had to rebuild the rear steps but other than that it's in nice shape.

Originally posted by Ray Marinaccio-November 15 2009: 9:32:14 PM

Ray, I took your advice... Put a crisp $10 bill in the closet... Told the family it might make big bucks... They laughed at me... again!
When I found another loco (see above) and I also found $1.85... Seems my brother-in-law paid the paperboy!

And so it goes,

Loopy

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 200  ~  Member Since: October 29 2006  ~  Last Visit: August 29 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

LoopnHook
Big Six

Crusader

Posted - November 28 2009 :  10:25:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add LoopnHook to Buddylist
quote:
I just remotored mine...same shell, what brand?

/tyco/forum/uploaded/shaygetz/tycoremotor7.jpg

Originally posted by shaygetz-November 15 2009: 10:14:20 PM

Now Bob,

I've thought on this query "What brand" over this last week... Is it a joke, trick question or what? I give up! Leme have the punch line...

Now, thanks to Carl T and your blog, I understand!
http://misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com/2008/06/lima-ho-scale-0-4-0-santa-fe-saddletank.html

Loopy

Edited by - LoopnHook on November 30 2009 5:56:45 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 200  ~  Member Since: October 29 2006  ~  Last Visit: August 29 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - November 28 2009 :  10:29:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Loopy, I think you'll be most pleased with my latest find:

Yellow-box set, $25 BIN because the engine doesn't run, but I'm betting I can fix it. Won't know till it gets here.

But I have to point out: The loco paint is so generic as to be insulting. If you didn't know it was "supposed" to be Great Northern... what else could it be? Good News? Great Noogies? Goomba Netherworld?

Still, I like the "GN"... made sense to take a chance on this one.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - November 29 2009 :  12:52:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
quote:
Loopy, I think you'll be most pleased with my latest find:

Yellow-box set, $25 BIN because the engine doesn't run, but I'm betting I can fix it. Won't know till it gets here.

But I have to point out: The loco paint is so generic as to be insulting. If you didn't know it was "supposed" to be Great Northern... what else could it be? Good News? Great Noogies? Goomba Netherworld?

Still, I like the "GN"... made sense to take a chance on this one.

Originally posted by GoingInCirclez-November 28 2009: 10:29:32 PM

I saw that too, lucky for you I'm out of train money. That's why I'm selling again, I now found two of my own "haunts". OMG, those places are great. They just want to push the stuff I like out the door.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

choochin3
Mikado

USA

Posted - November 30 2009 :  01:22:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add choochin3 to Buddylist
Shaygetz,
The loco you have is made by Lima in Italy

Carl T.

President of the Cape James Terminal RR.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 691  ~  Member Since: April 16 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 01 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

LoopnHook
Big Six

Crusader

Posted - November 30 2009 :  6:01:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add LoopnHook to Buddylist
quote:
Shaygetz,
The loco you have is made by Lima in Italy

Carl T.

Originally posted by choochin3-November 30 2009: 01:22:32 AM

Thank you Carl, for joggging my thick head! Can you tell us anything else about what appears to be a connection between Mantua and Lima.

Loopy

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - November 30 2009 :  9:04:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
I could be wrong of course, but I suspect that the Lima's similarity probably has less to do with any intentional shared "connection", and more to do with "imitational flattery" (aka "corporate espionage", aka "intellectual property theft", aka "reverse engineering", aka "cloning", aka "you get the drift".

See the Athearn --> Tyco F-Unit, Atlas --> Tyco SD24, Tyco --> Kader 40' Reefer, Tyco --> everyone 62' TriDome, and countless other shared, borrowed, and cloned tooling from other makes that so litters the HO landscape.

Borrowing Shaygetz' photo, and comparing to my own:

/tyco/forum/uploaded/goingincirclez/Booster_GN_1.jpg

There are a few differences in the loco tooling... Essentially Lima's is more detailed thanks to the the use of plastic. Note the differences such as:

- Whistle originates from the dome vs. boiler
- Rivets on surrounding the smokebox at front of boiler
- Extra piping (and a feedwater heater? Not a steam expert) on the boiler
- Handle on the cab door

There may be other subtle differences that would be revealed only via direct comparison, but I don't have a Lima...

That said, they certainly are very similar. Could be the result of a partnership. Could be the result of two master toolmakers making the same model from the same reference materials. Or it could be a case of "let's clone theirs and make it just different enough...". I'm in that last camp... but I'll say again, I could be wrong...

Edited by - GoingInCirclez on December 01 2009 12:57:26 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: C430 Spotting feature Topic Next Topic: Brown Box F-9A Grind noise  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000