Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 All I want for Christmas ... is a PIZZA HUT?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Happy Birthday Topic Next Topic: Alco C430s
Page: of 2

HOScale Model Railroader
Little Six

GG1 Rules

Posted - November 08 2009 :  12:12:25 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add HOScale Model Railroader to Buddylist
Sigh, yep. That has always topped my Christmas list. A Pizza Hut HO Kit. Trying to track down one of those is like trying to stay awake long enough on Christmas Eve to spot flying reindeer and Santa's Sleigh in the sky (which now days would probably be considered one of those Triangular UFOs by "UFO HUNTERS" Bill Birnes on the History Channel!) ...

I saw some company in Germany (like Summit Custom Cuts) makes a modern Pizza Hut kit (okay the new Pizza Huts and old Pizza Huts haven't changed much since the 70s). Of course, it's all in German and darn, I took French in High School (and all I remember of that is how to ask where the bathroom was and where the naked women danced).

I guess an HO Scale Tyco era Pizza Hut kit will be my annual Christmas Quest.

I like caffeine and a chainsaw ...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 141  ~  Member Since: January 06 2007  ~  Last Visit: February 05 2011 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 08 2009 :  12:38:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
hehe me too & a BK set McDonald's (rare I know) 7up plant ANY gas staions Baskin-Robbins 7-11 Freezee Drive-Inn Life-Like also made a Pizza Hut too
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14695  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 11 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - November 08 2009 :  5:43:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
quote:
I took French in High School (and all I remember of that is how to ask where the bathroom was and where the naked women danced).
Originally posted by HOScale Model Railroader-November 08 2009: 12:12:25 PM

French is one of Canada's official languages, and all I remember is how to say "I do not understand French." Yeesh that's kinda bad, huh?

I remember seeing an old article in a railroading magazine recently, I can't remember which one, but it had pretty well all those fast-food joints all lined up together. It was pretty neat! KFC, Burger-King, etc. etc.

Best of luck in finding your Pizza Hut.

- Matt -
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1021  ~  Member Since: August 24 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

HOScale Model Railroader
Little Six

GG1 Rules

Posted - November 08 2009 :  10:23:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add HOScale Model Railroader to Buddylist
Oh ... they pop up now and again. Just a matter of checking and waiting. As much as people seem to covet the McDonalds kit ... I have one of those ... they were pretty mediocre kits to build. Even in the box picture, the kit just didn't fit together right. :^) When I built mine, half the battle was with a hair dryer "unwarping" plastic pieces so they fit. What drove me nuts was even with a sealed kit NIB, it was missing parts directly from LifeLike (the person I purchased it from I knew never opened it and I remember it had been in his collection since the 70s when I was *cough* young). That required an eBay hunt for at least 2 years to find a damaged McDonalds kit to salvage McDonalds-specific parts off of (which you couldn't get out one of the Freezee kits).

Actually, it's kind of fun to look closely at the box lid pictures of some of the old Tyco, LifeLike, AHM, etc. kits. For kits supposedly assembled by "professional staff" for marketing box art, man were some of those kits slapped together pretty crappy. Plastic parts not trimmed, signs roughly cut out and stuck on cockeyed, bad painting, gaps where you can see two walls separated with glue stringers ... too funny. You'd think they'd have "air brushed" or touched up some of those photos on the kit boxes. :^)

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 141  ~  Member Since: January 06 2007  ~  Last Visit: February 05 2011 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Tyco Nut
Big Six

Posted - November 14 2009 :  1:47:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tyco Nut to Buddylist
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200403814996

McDonald's and 7-11

Can't find a Pizza Hut yet.

Rus

Starting my Tyco and other favorites collection over again after 37 years.
My still in progress list of inventory and wantlist: tyconut.com
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 396  ~  Member Since: November 02 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - November 14 2009 :  4:59:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Sadly, I just sent mine to GIC, the other day. I'd promised it to him months ago so right on time from me!

-Gareth

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 14 2009 :  6:45:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
well if ANYONE has our wish list of buildings let us know We'd like them cheap & no Ebay for me Have no accopunt or paypal sorry
Edited by - microbusss on November 14 2009 7:06:29 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14695  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 11 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Tyco Nut
Big Six

Posted - November 16 2009 :  04:57:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tyco Nut to Buddylist
Kentucky Fried Chicken

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200405638617

Starting my Tyco and other favorites collection over again after 37 years.
My still in progress list of inventory and wantlist: tyconut.com
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 396  ~  Member Since: November 02 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 16 2009 :  11:02:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
got the KFC already need the others

HOScale Model Railroader
Little Six

GG1 Rules

Posted - December 04 2009 :  6:52:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add HOScale Model Railroader to Buddylist
Well ... there was a Pizza Hut up on eBay ... but considering how plain the kit actually is ... it ain't worth $250 + S/H. Even if it's still shrink wrapped in its original box. All I can say is that someone is single-handedly stimulating the economy - but my real guess is that it's shill bidding as usual on eBay.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 141  ~  Member Since: January 06 2007  ~  Last Visit: February 05 2011 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 04 2009 :  8:20:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I don't do Ebay as I have no credit card or PayPal

HOScale Model Railroader
Little Six

GG1 Rules

Posted - January 08 2010 :  3:17:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add HOScale Model Railroader to Buddylist
Well, I'm watching another Pizza Hut up on *bay, assembled but it looks like it was just slapped together missing its window glazing. But even at that, the plain kit is rising to the $40 level.

I'll keep looking for a Pizza Hut ... but in the meantime I think I'll get a Microlux Micro-Saw, some good jeweler's blades, and using photos of Pizza Huts I've seen here and on *bay just reproduce a Pizza Hut.

Wouldn't mind seeing straight on pictures of the four sides of the Tyco/AHM Pizza Hut building and it's roof from someone who has a kit so I could get some dimensioning details. Then I could make a template (probably in Evan Design's Model builder) for other scratch builders wanting to make a Pizza Hut out of Evergreen styrene.

I know, I know ... it's more trouble than it's worth. But I like these kinds of projects and I'll probably never get a good original Pizza Hut kit.

VintageHO
Mikado

Tyco Time

Posted - January 08 2010 :  8:18:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add VintageHO to Buddylist
Hi Craig. I have a few shows coming up in Febuary and March. I will keep an eye out for one. All I have right now is something that is just as hard to find. Carl

Numquam Immoderatio Satis Est
(Too Much Is Never Enough )
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 632  ~  Member Since: January 23 2006  ~  Last Visit: June 21 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - January 08 2010 :  9:02:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Wow! K-wobbler Cab-O Aerodyne! Where's BJ McKay and his Best Friend Bear!?

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - January 08 2010 :  9:18:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
The annual Louisville train show is tomorrow, so I'll see what I can find. There's usually a couple sellers with assembled vintage kits for reasonable prices. And one with MIB for outrageous ones. What are you hoping to spend?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

HOScale Model Railroader
Little Six

GG1 Rules

Posted - January 09 2010 :  10:53:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add HOScale Model Railroader to Buddylist
quote:
The annual Louisville train show is tomorrow, so I'll see what I can find. There's usually a couple sellers with assembled vintage kits for reasonable prices. And one with MIB for outrageous ones. What are you hoping to spend?

Originally posted by GoingInCirclez-January 08 2010: 9:18:36 PM

Well, the kits have to be with the signs without horrendous glue jobs (saw 2 at my local shows where it was obvious the previous owners slapped glue on with a 2 inch brush) - those are always missing. I actually spent $40 on a Baskin Robbins sealed kit. Crazy, but it was mint. Around that range for a good one. Assembled or kit.

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - January 09 2010 :  11:10:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Well I don't know if its this faux-recovery economy, the unusually cold weather, or the fact that it was strangely two to three weeks early this time, but this year's show SUCKED... the worst of the 10 I've been to. Even though it was advertised as their biggest ever, I'm aware of at least 8 large regular vendors who weren't there this time. And a couple were much scaled down. Probably the first train show I've been to since 2006 where I didn't come away with a haul of tyco and other vintage RTR stuff. Not a single item... not helped by the fact that prices were way up on that kind of stuff (no more $2 cars... what should have been were $5 and $6 to start). OTOH, I did find some nice stuff on the "pure modeling" side of the tracks, so it wasn't a total wash. Needless to say, no Pizza Hut though.

There was a Bachmann Zenith set which was interesting: found a boxcar, tanker, hopper and caboose in OEM labeled boxes... was tempting but not something I had to have. Left it there and spent the $40 elsewhere.

Is the original sign absolutely necessary? Unless you're purely of the collector's mindset, it shouldn't be. That original sign is a ridiculously cheap, simple afterthought. Print yourself some Pizza Hut logos from the internet, then glue them to some scrap styrene - you can use plastic throwaway packaging for free. Then the next building you find going for less without the sign is an even better deal.

Edited by - GoingInCirclez on January 09 2010 11:13:50 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

HOScale Model Railroader
Little Six

GG1 Rules

Posted - January 09 2010 :  11:58:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add HOScale Model Railroader to Buddylist
quote:

Is the original sign absolutely necessary? Unless you're purely of the collector's mindset, it shouldn't be.
Originally posted by GoingInCirclez-January 09 2010: 11:10:13 PM

I'm a collector of sorts for these particular kits (the BK, 7-UP, Baskin Robbins, and P Hut). Don't ask me why, just am. :^) AHM or TYCO, doesn't make much difference.

For this particular kit, yeah the sign is important. At least for the first Pizza Hut kit I can get to keep it original. I usually try to get one kit and keep it original ... then modify any others I get (like what I did to the 7-UP Plants I have).

If I can get a second Pizza Hut kit, I wouldn't *mind* having the sign (like most of us Tyco semi-purists out here) ... but it wouldn't be as important.

Unless the kit is in a sealed box or unbuilt (but complete with unaffixed stickers) ... I know I'd have to make a new Pizza Hut adhesive logo any way since those stickers' adhesives eat through the sticker over time. ;^)

A Pizza Hut without its sign ... I wouldn't pay above $20 on it though. :^) A complete built kit or complete unbuilt kit w/box and instructions ... that I'd fork money over for. (But not like the one person did on *bay ... $200+ for a Pizza Hut is insane.)

Even though the sign is an after thought ... the kit isn't interesting enough without it. It's such a plain-jane 4 wall and a roof job - almost requires the sign to be complete. :^)

Edited by - HOScale Model Railroader on January 10 2010 03:13:57 AM

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - January 10 2010 :  01:15:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I agree with HO scale Model RRer, I want the sign if I was to buy a pre owed kit. I've said it before, the Tyco buildings are pretty drab without some paint & detailing. The sign ads a little to the kit. I only buy new sealed kits because it's the easiest way for me to get a "complete" kit.
Walt
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - January 10 2010 :  09:00:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
I dunno some of the old-time kits are ok.

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - January 10 2010 :  10:53:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
quote:

I'm a collector of sorts for these particular kits (the BK, 7-UP, Baskin Robbins, and P Hut). Don't ask me why, just am. :^) AHM or TYCO, doesn't make much difference.

For this particular kit, yeah the sign is important. At least for the first Pizza Hut kit I can get to keep it original. I usually try to get one kit and keep it original ... then modify any others I get (like what I did to the 7-UP Plants I have).
Originally posted by HOScale Model Railroader-January 09 2010: 11:58:14 PM

Oh, there's no need to defend yourself. I like sharing opinions... to be honest I find yours interesting. FWIW, I have found that in the "collectors' " market, very little is worth squat without the original box, unless you're talking about stuff that's unobtanium in either case, or perhaps made before preserving packages was even considered (which of course makes any surviving packages worth all that much more).

Anyway. A building kit would be different... who is going to save the box after the kit is built and thus would no longer fit? There's why mint-built kits generally cost less... and why collectors like Walt would search out sealed ones. My point is that, to a "collector" a loose kit is never going to be worth as much as sealed... so if you're going to settle for loose built, you may as well pass up on the sign. But I can see where it may have some appeal to hold out for... for myself, I wanted the Pizza Hut just because it's such an iconic design and I plan to use it.

Which leads me to my only bone of contention: "Drab"? Come on man! The original Pizza Hut, with its classic peaked double-mansard roof, v-shaped windows and billboard signage... "drab"? Even if it's "just four walls and a roof", they rarely get more imaginative. The only other corporate architecture to survive as long that I can think of, both in terms of new construction and in-place remodels, is McDonald's, and that's arguably a case of simple sheer volume.

HOScale Model Railroader
Little Six

GG1 Rules

Posted - January 10 2010 :  1:38:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add HOScale Model Railroader to Buddylist
quote:

Which leads me to my only bone of contention: "Drab"? Come on man! The original Pizza Hut, with its classic peaked double-mansard roof, v-shaped windows and billboard signage... "drab"? Even if it's "just four walls and a roof", they rarely get more imaginative. The only other corporate architecture to survive as long that I can think of, both in terms of new construction and in-place remodels, is McDonald's, and that's arguably a case of simple sheer volume.
Originally posted by GoingInCirclez

Oh, I love mint-built kits where someone has taken the care and time to assemble them for their layout. :^) If I ran across one of those as a Pizza Hut, I wouldn't even hesitate buying it. There's a train store near me (by "near" I mean an hour or so away) that sells estate items and I've obtained some mint-built structures and rolling stock that were meticulously detailed and assembled by the previous owners. (alas, a Pizza Hut never shows up there though - lots of 7-Up Plants.) More detailed than I ever would have tried. I got a 7-11 there that was detailed down to the point the person must have used a magnifying glass to paint details on the store shelf items. That I was in awe of ... I could have cared less about the box and instructions. :^)

I guess I should clarify myself - I'm a collector for use on my layout. I know many people collect the shrink wrapped vintage kits ... just to collect a shrink wrapped kit. Like those LifeLike McDonalds kits. They spend hundreds of dollars only to put the sealed box on a shelf or in a case for display. I collect items, to build them and put them on my layout like they were meant to be. :^) Like Walt - I get sealed items to get all the parts to assemble an original kit.

I shouldn't have called the Pizza Hut a plain-jane kit ... the peaked roof does make it stand out from any other kit with the exception of the old style McDonalds Golden Arches kit ... I was thinking more along the lines of the kit parts and assembly itself. Especially since I buy O-Scale Plasticville for my other wallet emptying endeavor ... my Lionel train set. :^) Truthfully ... that Baskin Robbins kit has probably the least personality out of all those kits. :^) Heh heh.

Oh well, the search for Pizza Hut with a sign, continues ...

I'd still like to see some good close up pictures of all 4 sides and the side of the pizza hut roof and sign (to see the slope and angles) to give me a good idea on how to reproduce it using Evergreen styrene. It would take some time, but would be a challenge that could be fun.

At least I have you folks to talk to about my Pizza Hut building - Tyco - HO model railroading obsession with who understand me. :^) My wife just rolls her eyes when UPS drops off another package and goes "don't you have enough already ..." :^)

Edited by - HOScale Model Railroader on January 10 2010 1:43:27 PM

HOScale Model Railroader
Little Six

GG1 Rules

Posted - January 10 2010 :  3:43:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add HOScale Model Railroader to Buddylist
Here's a non-AHM or Tyco Pizza hut that's really nice. At first I thought it was a Custom Cut from Summit. But alas, no they said they don't make it. Someone said its by a small European company model company (not the usual ones like Faller, Vollmer, Kibri or Busch), which makes laser cut plastic HO models similar to what Summit does.

This one I may be able to reproduce (somewhat) using stock Evergreen plastic. Especially the roof. The PIZZA HUT lettering ... that would be a challenge. I imagine I could template the letters off the internet and use a fine X-Acto knife to cut it out of very thin white plastic.

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - January 10 2010 :  10:45:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by GoingInCirclez

I made no mistake when I used the word drab, when speaking of the Tyco Kits. Most of these kits are just that "drab" when built as they come in the box. This includes the Pizza Hut kit. Yes, even with its mansard roof, V windows etc etc, it's still pretty plain.

This reminds me of my life-long love of cars and restoring them for a living. The well loved 996 point classic 57 Chevy convertible, with it's elegant lines, shapely panels, and it's canvas roof. To send this car out in a coat of DP-40 primer, yeah, is just kinda drab. Yes, it's cool because it's what it is. But then, You dump a few coats of Gypsy Red on this car and what a difference this made!!

And then there are supermodels, and even they need a little "paint detail" to look their best!

Walt
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - January 13 2010 :  2:41:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Ah, so you meant the kits were drab, not the actual building... I guess I can sorta see it that way. Thing is though, the majority of HO building kits were and are pretty drab out of the box. Most of Life-Like's and Bachmann plasticville were no better. Same too with some Revell, Atlas, and Walthers. Ever see a raw DPM kit - they wrote the book on "bland"! Perhaps they only ones that aren't are the expensive German kits, by virtue of all the trim and detail parts - not to mention the ornate and stylized prototypes they're based on.

Obviously too, all the above manufactures had kits that might not be so "drab" and simplistic.... but then I've never seen any building kit, no matter how elaborate or expensive, that ever looked "right" or "complete" when simply built-as-bought. The ones with contrast-color window frame inserts and wall additions and such often look too bright. The pre-painted LL kits often looked too messy. The best kits I ever saw were the short-lived "modern homes" series by Patal (later sold briefly by Atlas) of the early 90's.... the fits were superb and the colors and details were pretty dang good and realistic out of the box, with minimal improvement effort necessary. The classic Revell Farmhouse is another outstanding kit. But nowadays even an $800 FSM centerpiece is designed to be painted, detailed, personalized, and labored over, piece by infuriating piece...

Edited by - GoingInCirclez on January 13 2010 2:42:53 PM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 15 2010 :  1:46:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
hey VintageHO have the Matchbox version but no tractor oh well I'll find one I has lots of trailers but no tractors for them

HOScale Model Railroader
Little Six

GG1 Rules

Posted - January 15 2010 :  6:53:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add HOScale Model Railroader to Buddylist
quote:
Ah, so you meant the kits were drab, not the actual building ... all the above manufactures had kits that might not be so "drab" and simplistic.... but then I've never seen any building kit, no matter how elaborate or expensive, that ever looked "right" or "complete" when simply built-as-bought.
Originally posted by GoingInCirclez-January 13 2010

Agreed. :^) That's why I've kinda got a special place in my Model Railroading Heart for those 7-UP Plant kits. (Which must have a 500:1 ratio compared to Pizza Huts and Burger Kings ... Heh heh). Built as is, the 7-Up Plant is blah. But the beauty is, you can deck that plant out into so many different types of companies with different signage, roof details, additional doors ... if you have several 7-Up Plant kits, you can make a modern Industrial Park where all the buildings are the same but the occupants are different. I had such a thing - a 7-Up, a Pepsico, and a Coca Cola plant as well as an American Van Lines warehouse industrial park using 4 of those ubiquitous 7-Up kits.

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - January 16 2010 :  12:07:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
Ah, so you meant the kits were drab, not the actual building ... all the above manufactures had kits that might not be so "drab" and simplistic.... but then I've never seen any building kit, no matter how elaborate or expensive, that ever looked "right" or "complete" when simply built-as-bought.
Originally posted by GoingInCirclez-January 13 2010

Agreed. :^) That's why I've kinda got a special place in my Model Railroading Heart for those 7-UP Plant kits. (Which must have a 500:1 ratio compared to Pizza Huts and Burger Kings ... Heh heh). Built as is, the 7-Up Plant is blah. But the beauty is, you can deck that plant out into so many different types of companies with different signage, roof details, additional doors ... if you have several 7-Up Plant kits, you can make a modern Industrial Park where all the buildings are the same but the occupants are different. I had such a thing - a 7-Up, a Pepsico, and a Coca Cola plant as well as an American Van Lines warehouse industrial park using 4 of those ubiquitous 7-Up kits.

Originally posted by HOScale Model Railroader-January 15 2010: 6:53:44 PM

Wow, thank you. You have me thinking of other kits that need a slight "tweek" to make them a showpiece.

Mike
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: May 08 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

HOScale Model Railroader
Little Six

GG1 Rules

Posted - January 16 2010 :  12:04:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add HOScale Model Railroader to Buddylist
If I ever get my hands on a Pizza Hut kit or building, this is the scratch built sign I've come up with in lieu of the kit's original sign (which more than likely will be missing anyhow) ...

It's the old style sign that I remember with the 1970's corporate advertising mascot "Pizza Hut Pete" ...

Funny thing is ... even though I want a Pizza Hut HO Scale Building ... I've never really liked Pizza Hut's pizza or menu. It was usually too greasy (enough to have to sop it up with a napkin before eating) ... and many times when I did go there (because some friend wanted to) I'd always end up with an upset stomach later (which I later found out was from the nonstick spray they used). To me - it was way over priced. Just my opinion ... :^)

HOScale Model Railroader
Little Six

GG1 Rules

Posted - January 16 2010 :  12:31:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add HOScale Model Railroader to Buddylist
One of the projects I've been tinkering around with is something never offered in any scale or kit that I know of ... a classic Burger Chef. The building designs are actually available on the Internet and since it's basically all straight line architecture (as opposed to the classic McDonalds with "arches") - Evergreen plastic is more than well suited for this task. ;^)

Technically, you could get a hold of an AHM or TYCO Burger King (preferably a damaged or really "used" kit) and *convert* it to a Burger Chef building with the correct signage (because the later Burger Chefs followed a similar architecture when they remodeled and went cheap).

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - January 17 2010 :  4:46:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Here's the pictures you wanted. This is the kit I got loose, and no it's not for sale. It's slightly damaged in the corner because as-obtained it was poorly assembled (out of plumb, not square, and a crooked roof) and unfortunately even with debonder, that one corner just didn't want to come apart cleanly. But it'll be an easy fix once I permanently reassemble and paint it.

Just a note: I discovered the reason the kit was poorly assembled, may actually be due to the walls being too thick for the inside-corner grooves they're supposed to seat in. Since you can't get them in all the way, the structure would have a slight tendency to bow out if you're not careful.

So there's your sign... I'll make you deal: if/when you finally find one of these, if the sign is missing you can have mine... it's not that much of a key piece to me, and as you can see, it's pitifully simple to make. All the same, at this point there's no sense in me just "giving it away" if you don't even have the building, since I do intend to keep that part.

I like the pizza hut because it's a versatile building with a small footprint, even when parking is accounted for. A McDonald's or Burger King needs two to three times the actual footprint just to look plausible for the typical traffic one sees; not so with a Pizza Hut. Plus you can sometimes find Pizza Huts that have gone out of business and now have a new establishment in the same/former building - not so with a McD's or BK.

Edited by - GoingInCirclez on January 17 2010 4:48:48 PM

HOScale Model Railroader
Little Six

GG1 Rules

Posted - January 18 2010 :  6:55:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add HOScale Model Railroader to Buddylist
Awesome! Those photos are fantastic. I'm going to have to fire up Photoshop and ModelBuilder ... and get a scaled card stock printout of the Hut. Totally awesome! I'm stoked ... it'll make scratch building a Hut easier with the scrap Evergreen plastic I have. Thanks!

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - January 18 2010 :  10:39:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I love the old pic of the Burger Chef!! I remember what GIC mentioned about the Tyco Pizza Hut walls being a little too thick to fit in the grooves made for them. I carefully scraped and enlarged the groove to correct this problem before using the glue. It's amazing what a few small, extra steps can do for the finished product of a model kit.
Walt

Luck, usually comes dressed in work clothes...

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - January 18 2010 :  10:46:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
This just reminded me that my brother has one of those...in N scale. It looks exactly the same, except if I remember right the sign is actually larger than that one appears to be. I'll have to check it out next time I'm at his place...he keeps his stuff in a box, ready to be pulled out and set up on a small board when my daughter comes over. He doesn't have a permanent layout anymore.

Is the N scale version hard to find?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1166  ~  Member Since: October 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

HOScale Model Railroader
Little Six

GG1 Rules

Posted - January 19 2010 :  2:30:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add HOScale Model Railroader to Buddylist
quote:
This just reminded me that my brother has one of those...in N scale.

Originally posted by burlington77-January 18 2010

The N Scale version of the Pizza Hut on *bay is a pretty common occurrence. And so is the N Scale "State Prison" (which was marketed as the 7-Up Plant in HO Scale). I've been to shows and the N scale kits are usually available - it's the HO ones that are hard to find.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 19 2010 :  2:57:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
yup I got a state prison one unasambled & the box I think one piece is missing & I'd trade it for a 7up plant assembled or not

HOScale Model Railroader
Little Six

GG1 Rules

Posted - January 20 2010 :  3:16:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add HOScale Model Railroader to Buddylist
Well, Christmas came a little late and my Birthday came early!

While browsing through an antique mall on her day off, my wife saw the red roof of an HO Scale Pizza Hut in a box of items a vendor was trying to sell from an estate.

The Pizza Hut is in good condition - no forced breaks, warping, cracks or glue. Great condition. Amazing since (according to my wife) it was just tossed in a box with some other broken toys.

I got it cleaned up (the peaked roof had some spider residue in it and pet hair) and dusted. The best part - it's not *glued* together. :^) But yeah, no sign. :^)

:^)

Edited by - HOScale Model Railroader on January 21 2010 12:16:29 AM

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - January 21 2010 :  12:25:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
This just reminded me that my brother has one of those...in N scale.

Originally posted by burlington77-January 18 2010

The N Scale version of the Pizza Hut on *bay is a pretty common occurrence. And so is the N Scale "State Prison" (which was marketed as the 7-Up Plant in HO Scale). I've been to shows and the N scale kits are usually available - it's the HO ones that are hard to find.

Originally posted by HOScale Model Railroader-January 19 2010: 2:30:09 PM

Congrats on the find. I"m not surprised that the N scale version is common, since I vividly remember him buying it off the shelf at Kay-Bee toys, which used to be one of our stops for basic track and accessories. Man, I miss those days.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1166  ~  Member Since: October 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

HOScale Model Railroader
Little Six

GG1 Rules

Posted - January 21 2010 :  10:46:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add HOScale Model Railroader to Buddylist
Well, now that the Hut is cleaned and de-spidered - I'm in the process of scanning in the parts and making the Pizza Hut available as an HO Scale Evans ModelBuilder paper model.

Not everyone can have a real Pizza Hut, but I'm hoping to make some of the older simpler TYCO and AHM kits as ModelBuilder paper buildings. :^) I just wish someone like Model Power would reissue these kits for real.

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - January 22 2010 :  08:04:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
An excellent idea making paper kit versions!

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

HOScale Model Railroader
Little Six

GG1 Rules

Posted - January 24 2010 :  2:49:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add HOScale Model Railroader to Buddylist
Well, the first scans went in of the Pizza Hut building. Playing with the scaling and roof pattern now (how to make the roof fold together correctly from a cut-out). The easiest part was making a cutout of the Pizza Hut sign from GIC's good photo of it.

I'm probably going to do the same with the Baskin Robbins building and the Burger King I have.

If possible, I may just combine them all into a big PDF print and cut-out electronic book. Free. :^) Anyway, that's my goal. Might put it on my Model Railroading Club's website as a free download.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - December 24 2019 :  7:50:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Some of those buildings are showing up at train shows from time to time.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5955  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 11 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - December 24 2019 :  9:06:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
quote:
hehe me too & a BK set McDonald's (rare I know) 7up plant ANY gas staions Baskin-Robbins 7-11 Freezee Drive-Inn Life-Like also made a Pizza Hut too

Originally posted by microbusss - November 08 2009 :  12:38:39 PM

Here's Microben's Christmas list from 2009 list back in this post. Hope Santa brings you lots of Tyco Kits!

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - December 24 2019 :  11:12:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Well I bought my Burger King set today.
Hamburger and onion rings and a drink.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5955  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 11 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 25 2019 :  09:15:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by microbusss - November 08 2009 :  12:38:39 PM

Here's Microben's Christmas list from 2009 list back in this post. Hope Santa brings you lots of Tyco Kits!

Originally posted by walt - December 24 2019 :  9:06:30 PM

cross out Freezee Drive-Inn I got one already & its UNassebled! yay

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 25 2019 :  11:28:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
One of the projects I've been tinkering around with is something never offered in any scale or kit that I know of ... a classic Burger Chef. The building designs are actually available on the Internet and since it's basically all straight line architecture (as opposed to the classic McDonalds with "arches") - Evergreen plastic is more than well suited for this task. ;^)

Technically, you could get a hold of an AHM or TYCO Burger King (preferably a damaged or really "used" kit) and *convert* it to a Burger Chef building with the correct signage (because the later Burger Chefs followed a similar architecture when they remodeled and went cheap).
Originally posted by HOScale Model Railroader - January 16 2010 :  12:31:10 PM

did you know that Burger Chef was the 1st fast food to offer a kid's meal with a prize?
McDonald's stole that idea from them & invented the Happy Meal 50 years ago
Burger Chef been defunct sine 1996

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - December 29 2020 :  7:54:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Here is an interesting article about using a pizza box to build a new small layout.

Measures 12 inches by 12 inches. Looks like Z gauge.
A pizza box 18 inches by 18 inches. N gauge perhaps.
Can only imagine if a pizzeria has a larger one for HO.

https://www.mendorailhistory.org/1_layouts/pizza_layout.htm

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 29 2020 :  9:02:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
This would be awesome to replicate - N-gauge would totally fit in a typical pizza box.....
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 30 2020 :  08:05:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That’s pretty wild. Wonder what could be done in Z or T.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11208  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 11 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Gary B
Hudson

ChicagoNorthWesternAvatar

Posted - December 30 2020 :  09:14:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Gary B to Buddylist
Someone put a lot of work in that little thing!
Master Of Plasticville
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 444  ~  Member Since: March 17 2015  ~  Last Visit: May 08 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 30 2020 :  11:45:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I still want a Pizza Hut building
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Happy Birthday Topic Next Topic: Alco C430s  
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000