Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 7 ]  [ Total: 7 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Snow Day Experiments!
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Attack of the Clone Topic Next Topic: IHC C430  Photos added!!  

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - February 12 2009 :  8:45:06 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
With a day off school, zero progress on my layout in months, and TV boring me to tears, it was high time I did some model railroading!

So, I put two "household" techniques I've read about recently to the test. Because, if you read my toothpick post, you know I love this kinda stuff.

First up was a little diorama-type deal that tested using talcum powder as snow.

I started out with a scrap piece of ancient plywood that was just sitting in the basement. I didn't cut it to any particular shape, it was already a good size of about 21 in. by 10 in.

I laid down some spare cork roadbed and put Flex-Track on top.

I bent some plastic Woodland Scenics trees, but didn't bother putting anything on them because they would be bare anyway.

I cut up a piece of good ol' Snap-Track and used the ties to give the impression of an abandoned and ripped up line beside the main one.

The biggest thing I'll take away from this project would have to be the ice I made. It's just wax paper on top of aluminum foil, but it look absolutely great!

Then, I put a generous amount of talc over EVERYTHING, and used a big paint brush to smooth everything out a little bit.

Last, I put some skate marks on the "ice", put on some junk like an old ladder, tire, and you guessed it, toothpicks!

Presto, my first model winter!

If you plan on doing this, put down a garbage bag or some other plastic first. It just makes sense.

The ice pond. I used the dull side of the foil, but I guess it doesn't matter much.

I love this scratch-built shovel! It's just a piece of a drinking straw and, yes, a toothpick handle.

HOWEVER:
Despite putting many, many coats of sealer and other clear spray paints over top, the first thing that happened once I picked everything up was that ALL the powder came off. Bummer!
It looked great while intact though...

Now, after boring you to death with my winter scene, here's an excellent way to enhance your generic, black, cheap-o trucks found on every piece of rolling stock from here to the moon.

I'm sure a few of you knew about this before, but some earth-toned eye shadow works great for doing a quick weathering job on trucks and wheels.

"Eye shadow?" you must be wondering! Yes!
In this case, it's my sister's, although the really cheap stuff from a dollar-store works best I've read.
You could always ask the lady of the house.....

Anyway, just spread some on with a brush, and that's it. I weathered one truck in about 10 seconds. It's that easy!

Here's a before picture:

And the after:

See? A nice difference I say!
Just don't try it on the sides of a car, I find it has little effect on any colour other than black. Although that's probably just the colour eye shadow I was using.
Holy that looks much more purple in the picture than real life. Honest!

Anyway, that's all for now folks!

- Matt -

Edited by - MM 1498 on February 12 2009 9:04:58 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1021  ~  Member Since: August 24 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2020 Alert Moderator 

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - February 12 2009 :  9:29:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist
Nice work, and thanks for the ideas!

Mike
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - February 13 2009 :  02:08:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
All hail the toothpick king What sucks is that the snow fell off your diorama. Here is a thought, maybe try spraying the ground with spray adhesive? If you make a few passes at it and then dump the talc on it, that might get you a worth while result. No use in wasting large amounts of the stuff just for one picture! Still I like the snow idea, just something you don't see often in model railroading. You should paint a blue/greyish backdrop for it. And viola you'd have a nice place to stage some winter scene pictures.

I like the weathered trucks. I've tried a few different dry brushing techniques with a few different colors. Really haven't found anything I've fell in love with yet.

Edited by - ChrisC on February 13 2009 02:09:17 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 531  ~  Member Since: January 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: July 10 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - February 13 2009 :  08:23:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
Yeah, it was kinda irritating, but at least I learned some stuff from it.

I suppose I could try some spray adhesive like you said, but I think I'll tuck the whole thing away until I come up with a better idea.

Here's what it looks like without snow :

/tyco/forum/uploaded/MM 1498/IMG_0487.jpg

/tyco/forum/uploaded/MM 1498/IMG_0488.jpg

Hey, we're out of school today as well! 4-day weekend! PARTY!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKcY75LIkRw&fmt=18

- Matt -
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1021  ~  Member Since: August 24 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - February 13 2009 :  09:52:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Wow is full of win and awesome! I might need to try that with my own photo board.

If you wanted to make a permanent snow scene, the spray adhesive isn't a bad idea to try for starters. Woodland scenics also makes snow but that would be expensive. What you might consider trying is normal scenery - i.e. the ground foam and matte medium method.... THEN put your snow powder on top of that and try more matte medium. The foam underlayer might give the powder more texture to "bite" into so it doesn't just blow around.

BTW that after shot looks almost convincing in its own way... a perfect example of winter-brown fields under melted snow.

Good show!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - February 13 2009 :  11:37:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
Here's a few pictures of the most convincing snow I could find:

Sorry, I just had to do that!

- Matt -

Edited by - MM 1498 on February 13 2009 1:17:50 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1021  ~  Member Since: August 24 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - February 13 2009 :  11:50:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist
I wonder if the Santa Fe saw much snow...

Mike

Edited by - Mike on February 13 2009 12:26:20 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - February 15 2009 :  3:33:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Cool idea Matt. I've always wanted to make a snowy diorama like that for pictures. Those old photos you see of streamliners in the snow, especially the CN's black and white scheme, look amazing. I'd love to recreate those If you figure out a good way to secure the snow, let me know.

quote:
Hey, we're out of school today as well! 4-day weekend! PARTY!

We have a 4-day weekend as well!! Friday is a P.D. day, and then Monday is a provincial holiday.

-cheez
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - February 16 2009 :  10:04:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
Here's a few more shots of eye shadow weathered trucks. This has to be my favourite way to weather cars by far, although I'm sure the results would be even better if I bought some specific colours!

I notice none of these photos look right, they look MUCH better in real life.
I think it's because the camera is too precise in what it sees. I mean that your eyes trick you into making these look more realistic. Or maybe I'm just not that picky!

Anyway, here's my Athearn PA.

Curses! More purple!

Athearn GP38...

I also used some light flesh tone on the fuel tank cap. I like the effect quite a bit.

Like I said, once I get some colours I actually pick out for this purpose they'll look even better. Right now I'm stuck with whatever anybody can spare!

Okay, this is the last thing I'll say in this topic for a bit, okay:

I recently switched out all the lightbulbs in my room for those mini flourescent ones. And I must say, the light the give off is much more pleasant.
They're great for pictures too, they eliminate the dim yellow I now associate with conventional bulbs.
However, these new ones take a couple of seconds to turn on after you flip a switch, and they take a few minutes to reach full brightness.

But once they are at full brightness, there's really no comparison. Just sayin'...

- Matt -

Edited by - MM 1498 on February 16 2009 10:14:29 PM

mix3d3m0ti0n5
Little Six

Chessie Wink

Posted - February 19 2009 :  12:49:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mix3d3m0ti0n5 to Buddylist
for lighting, get daylight blubs or the 6500 K. Your colors come out much truer.

As for the purple looking ness.... I'm not seeing it. My monitor where I'm at right now is pretty right on the money for colors. Have you adjusted your monitor settings so that you are seeing true colors?

~anna
-----------------------------------
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 105  ~  Member Since: December 23 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - February 19 2009 :  5:33:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
I'm on a laptop, and I can't find any colour controls!

Also, for anyone brave enough to try talcum powder snow, I also tried baking soda and it worked a little better.
Not quite good enough to show, but it stuck a little better and had just enough sparkle to it to look more realistic.

- Matt -

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - March 01 2009 :  12:04:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
MM--my first snow experiment on my layout was when i was 16 yrs old. Went to the local grocery store and bought Red Baron brand flour. worked good and looked very real. Model snow was not available at that time in the mid to late 80's. I may have pictures somewhere--will look and post if i do.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - March 01 2009 :  09:39:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
I have plans for another "experiment".

I noticed that a local wholesale grocery store has big buckets of spices. Actually, the buckets look like the same container Woodland Scenics sells it's ground foam in.
Anyway, some of these spice blends actually looked like they would make excellent ground cover. There was one kind in particular that looked like it would make perfect autumn leaves, so I may try that.

This time around I'll try the regular method of adding ground cover like GIC suggested. I think I'll try a smaller area too, I'll probably eliminate the tracks altogether.

Just so you know!

- Matt -

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - February 17 2021 :  5:42:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist
quote:
Here's a few pictures of the most convincing snow I could find:

Sorry, I just had to do that!

Originally posted by MM 1498 - February 13 2009 :  11:37:31 AM

Very nice use of the real thing. And more to come in certain areas of the USA.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Attack of the Clone Topic Next Topic: IHC C430  Photos added!!  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000