Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 6 ]  [ Total: 6 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 All the others not mentioned.
 International Hobby Corp. SD24
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: IHC Mehano F Class Topic Next Topic: Varney Casey Jones  

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - December 01 2008 :  3:30:49 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
I was just wondering if anyone has one of these. I do not plan on buying one, but I have considered it.

Do they run very well? Can they pull much?

I realize they're pretty cheap, but maybe somebody has some positive (or negative) feedback?

Thanks in advance.

- Matt -

Edited by - MM 1498 on January 02 2009 8:46:50 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1021  ~  Member Since: August 24 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2020 Alert Moderator 

taycotrains
Big Six

TAYCOTRAINS

Posted - December 01 2008 :  5:33:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add taycotrains to Buddylist
We have 11 IHC locomotives 2 steam 2 GG1s 7 diesels.
They all run smooth and quiet.

The thing that I like best is NO traction tires !!! if the train is to long
you have to put on another loco...just like the real ones.

BT
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 385  ~  Member Since: August 08 2007  ~  Last Visit: October 10 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - December 01 2008 :  9:53:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist
Great point BT...

Mike
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: May 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - December 01 2008 :  10:16:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
I got one for $5 at a train show, not expecting much of it... and boy was I ever surprised. They are really very nice! The chassis is pitifully flimsy, and a bit of a lightweight, BUT the motor and drivetrain is smooth and quiet. All-wheel electric AND drive IIRC, and will out-haul any Tyco by a country mile. Well worth picking up, especially to repower some of the Tyco SD24's.

Actually, if they have one weak spot, it's that the paint jobs suck; Tyco's were much better. But the performance is amazing for the price.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - December 02 2008 :  12:20:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
You can reduce the speed of them by about half by substituting Atlas/Kato worms for the double-lead worms Mehano uses. I did that on an AHM GP18, and between that and a better motor it really crawls.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Hypoponera
Mikado

BQ23-7

Posted - December 02 2008 :  12:43:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Hypoponera to Buddylist
I have 2 of the SD24s. Like GIC stated, they are very light. You can improve pulling power by adding several ounces of ballast. This also helps with electrical pick up. The ones I have only pick up current on 8 wheels. But that is plenty and much better then Tycos do! Another addition you can make is to add a flywheel or two.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 713  ~  Member Since: May 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - December 02 2008 :  12:58:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Don't they come with flywheels, Hypop?
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Hypoponera
Mikado

BQ23-7

Posted - December 02 2008 :  3:08:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Hypoponera to Buddylist
That's a negative on the flywheels. I have 2 that I bought from Walthers, and neither has flies. No flies shown in the parts diagram either. Possible that they added a fly or two on later runs?

Fly wheels seem to be an after thought for IHC diesels. The SD35 has a pair of flies. The C628 has a single fly. The C430, C415, and SD24 lack flies all together. The motor is the same on all those locos though. And that is good as the motor is smooth and strong. And to think, its a 3 pole with straight windings!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 713  ~  Member Since: May 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - December 02 2008 :  3:24:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
Hmm maybe I'll see if I can get one some time. I'd probably go for the Santa Fe one.

Gotta love the zebra stripes!

- Matt -
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1021  ~  Member Since: August 24 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - December 02 2008 :  11:22:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
quote:
he motor is the same on all those locos though. And that is good as the motor is smooth and strong. And to think, its a 3 pole with straight windings!

Originally posted by Hypoponera-December 02 2008: 3:08:41 PM

I know, but it is possible to make 3 pole motors that don't cog. Mabuchi makes nothing but motors, and they know how to design them. I just pulled a Sagami out of a steamer in favor of one of the motors Mehano used in their GG1's. Much lower speed, and a lot of torque.

The Tyco Depot

Hypoponera
Mikado

BQ23-7

Posted - December 03 2008 :  12:23:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Hypoponera to Buddylist
Yep, I have replaced big name motors with those Mabuchis as well. In fact, that Mabuchi is my prefered repowering motor. I managed to pick up a dozen motors on ebay a few months ago. It has had no problem running my 16+ oz SD35s. So very strong indeed!

I rechecked several locos, and have found that motor in several other makers locos. Walthers GP9m and FA/B use it. So does/did the late production GP20 and F-unit by Mantua.

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - December 03 2008 :  01:09:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
The FK-130 is an excellent motor as well, but has a smaller profile than those larger cans. I'm glad I picked up a bunch a few years back when All Electronics had them. I've put them in a AHM/Kader 0-6-0T, and old C-Liner (totally silent), and the AHM Century Alco. Bachmann uses them in most of their revised standard line, and first used them in their Spectrum 2-8-0 that everyone raves about.
The Tyco Depot

Hypoponera
Mikado

BQ23-7

Posted - December 03 2008 :  09:31:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Hypoponera to Buddylist
I've managed to pick up a handfull of those FK-130s as well. They are great for those Mehano single power truck designs. I've dropped it into an LL RS-11 and C415. Have yet to try it in a C-Liner as all mine are later production units with all wheel drive.

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - December 03 2008 :  11:45:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
quote:
I've managed to pick up a handfull of those FK-130s as well. They are great for those Mehano single power truck designs. I've dropped it into an LL RS-11 and C415. Have yet to try it in a C-Liner as all mine are later production units with all wheel drive.

Originally posted by Hypoponera-December 03 2008: 09:31:46 AM

I have done the same and used up 20 of the FK-130s in a hurry. I put them in the dual drive locos as well.
I need to find a good deal on those Atlas/Kato worms. I regeared a few of mine and it does make a world of difference.

Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - December 03 2008 :  3:55:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
I put an FK-130 in an AHM Alco S2 (or S4?). What a difference. It will crawl slower than you can perceive, and pulls stumps with good traction tires.

Here's an Atlas/Kato worm in a GE Center Cab.

I got them from an eBay seller, and he said the were for Alcos. I assume these are the same. Ho Alco Worm & Shaft

The Tyco Depot
Edited by - NickelPlate759 on December 03 2008 3:56:17 PM

Hypoponera
Mikado

BQ23-7

Posted - December 03 2008 :  11:40:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Hypoponera to Buddylist
Hey Nelson,

What are all those metal shavings from? Looks like that magnet does a great job cleaning off the rails! That is one of the earlier versions of the Alco switcher from Mehano. Mine is a later production run that has the motor mounted above the fuel tank with a shaft leading to a standard, geared truck. Oddly, it still powers only the rear truck. I replaced the original motor with a beautiful Cannon single shaft motor.

Has anyone tried to replace the original Mehano worm with an Athearn? I realize it may not be as dramatic of an improvement, but should help some, cost less, and be easier to get. Though it would require carefully drilling out the original plastic worm bearings to fit the larger Athearn shaft.

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - December 04 2008 :  12:42:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
I've never tried an Athearn worm to see if they have the same tooth spacing. These are a good bit larger.

You're not seeing metal shavings on the motor. That's just a thin piece of foam I used as a shim to correct the gear mesh. The gearing was actually a little noisy with the motor's shaft dead center, but quieted down when ground out the rear wall a bit and shifted it towards the back a few thousandths. The gearing in these trucks (and in the C-Liners with the 3 pole motor) is actually very good, as this motor reduces the top speed dramatically. It's the original motors that give them the high speed. The motor retainer is a paperclip I bent to shape.

Here's a shot of the truck with the bearing removed and the bottom of the motor housing ground flat. I had to widen the motor opening carefully so that I didn't lose the tabs that lock it into the chassis.

I also gave it all-wheel pickup with some spare truck wipers I had on hand, and some small washer head screws I salvaged from an old piece of electronics.

The Tyco Depot
Edited by - NickelPlate759 on December 04 2008 12:51:17 AM

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - January 02 2009 :  8:46:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
Well, now I know the drawbacks to the IHC SD24 are the light weight and flimsy frame.

I'm also a bit curious about the Model Power RS-2...looks like it could be better than forking over $100+ for a Proto one.

Is the Model Power RS-2 any good?

- Matt -

Edited by - MM 1498 on January 02 2009 8:47:03 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1021  ~  Member Since: August 24 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - January 02 2009 :  9:05:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
It's not nearly as nice as the P1K. Look at the price at Trainworld.

http://www.trainworld.com/lifelike/lifelike_proto.htm

You may even find better deals than that if you do some comparison shopping through Google, or watch eBay. I think the Model Power unit still has the 3 pole Mehano motor, and the example I saw was extremely lightweight.

P.S. They have P2K S1's for $30. Hmmm...

The Tyco Depot

tykowolf
Big Six

tml

Posted - July 27 2009 :  03:36:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tykowolf to Buddylist
Have any IHC SD24 owners here added knuckle couplers to their locomotives? If so, please let me know which fit best since the SD24 is strangely absent from Kadee's IHC conversion list. Thanks.
 Country: Australia  ~  Posts: 362  ~  Member Since: March 21 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 31 2011 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Hypoponera
Mikado

BQ23-7

Posted - July 30 2009 :  8:32:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Hypoponera to Buddylist
I have mounted knuckle couplers. But I used a set from McHenry rather then Kadee. These couplers have a very long shank and simply push into the coupler pocket with no modification. I think these couplers were ment for passenger cars, but not sure. Nor do I remember what the stock numbers are.
Edited by - Hypoponera on July 31 2009 10:01:21 PM

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - July 30 2009 :  9:47:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
I dug this from the McHenry web site. It says for most loco's and freigt cars, looks like the 50 series has the correct one. Just have to find the one with the correct length.

http://www.mchenrycouplers.com/

The link is to the main web site, check out the product listing.

Tom
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 622  ~  Member Since: February 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Hypoponera
Mikado

BQ23-7

Posted - July 31 2009 :  10:06:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Hypoponera to Buddylist
Look at #52 under Riverossi/IHC. I think that one is longer then the ones I used, but the same style. Maybe #53 is the right one? Too bad there isn't a photo of it.

You could also try to body mount Kadees. You would need to remove the truck mounted coupler pocket to make room. The frame is plastic and should have no trouble being drilled for the coupler screws.

tykowolf
Big Six

tml

Posted - August 01 2009 :  03:57:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tykowolf to Buddylist
Thank you Hypoponera and eaglerock109 for pointing me in the right direction. After raiding an old Rivarossi tanker, my SD24 is now knuckle-coupled to an Athearn flat car! I'm using a McHenry #56 that's a bit long but works and will do for the meanwhile. Cheers guys.
 Country: Australia  ~  Posts: 362  ~  Member Since: March 21 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 31 2011 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

leofuture
Switcher

Posted - November 20 2017 :  8:19:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add leofuture to Buddylist
They run pretty smooth and details can be added, good value!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 10  ~  Member Since: September 20 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 30 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: IHC Mehano F Class Topic Next Topic: Varney Casey Jones  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000