Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 15 ]  [ Total: 15 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Bachmann Motive Power/Rolling Stock & Accessories
 Bachmann Cable Car?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Bachmann Operating Caboose Topic Next Topic: Bachmann''s RELIABLE 8-wheel-drive locos?!?!?  

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - November 17 2008 :  9:07:33 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
I was visiting my favourite place to go, the antiques shop, () today.

For some reason, I felt the need to "explore" inside the drawers of an old dresser I've seen there for a long, long time.

And you know what I found inside? One of these:

I did not buy it though. The wheels were plastic, so it was not a powered version.

However, I did sorta put it in a hiding spot should I decide to purchase it later.

So, my question is, does anyone have a powered version of this little thing, and if so, did it come with a dummy?

I have an IHC Trolley set that came with a powered car and a dummy, but I didn't think Bachmann ever did that.

Hmm.

- Matt -
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1021  ~  Member Since: August 24 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2020 Alert Moderator 

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - November 17 2008 :  10:06:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
They are not Bachmann but part of a two car set given out by Reader's Digest some years back.

I paid a buck for mine just so I could post it as a warning to others. They can, however, be modified to fit Bachmann mecs with very little work as they appear to be from the same molds.
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - November 17 2008 :  10:09:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Hey Matt. That's odd. I've got 2 of these little buggers. Both are powered and all 8 wheels are metal. Neither came with a spare dummy truck. Are you sure the wheels weren't just really dirty?

I find it weird that they'd make a dummy, as there's no way of coupling two together

-cheez

EDIT: Ahhh. So it's not a Bachmann. Never seen one of those before.

Edited by - DaCheez on November 17 2008 10:11:16 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - November 17 2008 :  10:16:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
quote:
They are not Bachmann but part of a two car set given out by Reader's Digest some years back.
Originally posted by shaygetz - November 17 2008 : 10:06:58 PM

Ahh thanks for the info shaygetz.
I kinda found it weird that they would have a dummy version of this particular trolley, just because it wouldn't make sense to hook up two together.

Oh, and Cheez, I could tell the wheels were plastic because the chrome "plating" had chipped off pretty badly. I think the one I found had seen use as a children's toy and not so much as a model.

It is definately HO scale, but I guess it just gives a more literal meaning to the term "model train".

- Matt -
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1021  ~  Member Since: August 24 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - November 27 2008 :  03:54:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
Did you note the art work on the box cover? It's a cable car. Cable cars never had motors. Cable cars don't have trailers. Some trollies do have trailers.

What's missing is the slot in the street. These things were in San Francisco (sp?)

The other "cheepo-depot" spot to see are the trucks. Cable cars and trolleys did not have your basic railroad "freight car" trucks. A cable car and trolley have leaf-spring suspension on their trucks for passenger comfort.

DaCheez, take the following note:

By the way, MM, the photo you offer and the other ones posted show one difference between the two cable cars... The one in your photo IS a motorized "Cable Car" offered by Bachmann. In your picture, note the two different "trucks" given to roll it. The spacing difference between the axles is almost noticeable.

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?

Edited by - zebrails on November 27 2008 03:57:43 AM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - November 27 2008 :  3:35:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
I used that picture just because I didn't have one of the car I saw at the store. The one I found was just sitting there, it had no box.

And yeah, the spacing between the axles is REALLY noticable on the powered version.

- Matt -
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1021  ~  Member Since: August 24 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

B 67
Switcher

QR

Posted - November 29 2008 :  03:04:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add B 67 to Buddylist
quote:
Cable cars don't have trailers.

They did in Melbourne, Australia.

/tyco/forum/uploaded/B 67/Melbourne_cable_tram_1905.jpg

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_cable_tramway_system
 Country: Australia  ~  Posts: 69  ~  Member Since: April 21 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 02 2009 :  9:37:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
gods I has a few of these cars jeez ah well still cheaper than the Bachmann ones
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - October 31 2021 :  1:12:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Ran two of my cars months ago.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5875  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 31 2021 :  2:02:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
that be 1 I never got was the POWRED cable car
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Bachmann Operating Caboose Topic Next Topic: Bachmann''s RELIABLE 8-wheel-drive locos?!?!?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000