Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 4 ]  [ Total: 5 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Revell Motive Power, Rolling Stock & Accessories
 The Revell Union Pacific Omaha 0-6-0t
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: ID please? Topic Next Topic: Revell New Haven F7  

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 25 2008 :  8:36:30 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here is a photo of the 0-6-0t. It smokes and chugs. The smoke unit puffs smoke in sinc with the cylinders. It chugs with each rotation of the axels.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on October 26 2008 3:42:06 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator 

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - October 26 2008 :  02:09:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
another beast of the deep casting... I bet it pulls like an ox!

no disappointments will be had.

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - October 26 2008 :  1:08:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
quote:
Here is a photo of the 0-6-0t. It smokes and ghugs. The smoke unit puffs smoke in sinc with the cylinders. It chugs with each rotation of the axels.
frank

Originally posted by toptrain-October 25 2008: 8:36:30 PM

I've got 2 of those, Frank, but they're currently both in pieces. I installed a powerful can motor in one of them, because both had 5 pole open frame motors that didn't have the torque to run them, particularly with the chugger installed. I generally leave the shakers out anyway, since they affect performance. Yours has the better motor (at least I assume it was). I'll have to get back to them one of these days, but they haven't been a priority. They have a lot of slop in the axles.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 26 2008 :  3:49:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Nelson : I have a few of them to and all mine run fine. As to sloppy, when you have three axels, all flanged and they are properly gagued, it is hard for a three axel loco to be sloppy.
If you look in the cab of my 0-6-0t in the photo you see a cast metal motor. All mine are the older ones with the Diecast motors. Revells newer cheep copy of pittmans DC 60 open frame motor isn't that good. That is proably why they need remotering. If you can find the old motors, they are OK!
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on October 26 2008 3:52:40 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - October 26 2008 :  5:00:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
You're right about those Pittman knock-offs... they have no torque, and one of them shorted some windings for no apparent reason. There wasn't even a noticeable increase in torque with a new stack of neodymium magnets.

I haven't been able to locate those older motors. I'm sure they had enough torque to overcome the the sprung shaker, but I think mine have some wear on the middle axle bearings from excessive running.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 27 2008 :  08:18:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Did you notice that you can just, after removing the brushes, twist the rounder plastic front and the motor comes appart. Seperating the armiture from the magnet. frank
toptrain

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - January 01 2009 :  8:56:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
I have one in pieces in a box that I never did anything with because when I opened it up, one of the panels on the commutator fell off. Yep. Don't think glue's going to fix that and make it run.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - February 28 2009 :  02:18:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
My friend has one of these, but its been dead for some time. Cracked it open tonight and aside from it missing a few wires, one of the brushes for the motor is gone. Anyone know of any suitable replacements? This is for the older style original cast metal motor.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 531  ~  Member Since: January 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: July 10 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 05 2009 :  8:56:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
if its dead use it in either a scrap yard display or put it in a park with a fence arond it
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 06 2009 :  12:47:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
If the armiture windings are good and the motor will turn, get a replacement brush. Which motor is it the cast or the open frame?
frank

toptrain

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - March 08 2009 :  01:57:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
Frank, its the earlier motor and its all metal, I'm assuming that's the cast motor? Same motor as in this diagram.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r132/tonycook1966/Revell%20HO-Scale%20Trains/Revell_Exploded_Diagram_060.jpg

There is a brush in there but its not the correct size. I've put wires up to it a few times and got nothing. I've cleaned all the grime off the contact surfaces so I dunno whats going on.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 531  ~  Member Since: January 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: July 10 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 08 2009 :  1:06:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Chriss. : The brushes on the cast revell motor are the same as what was a standard Athearn motor. They both are a 1/8th " thick. And the same length. I just took brushes from a Athearn motor and placed them into a Revell cast motor. The Athearn brush is also notched the same as the Revell brush.
*** If your motor still doesn't turn you proably have bad motor windings. frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on March 08 2009 1:12:45 PM

SCVR66
Big Boy

SCVR #2

Posted - January 16 2012 :  2:26:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SCVR66 to Buddylist
I need to get one of these! Does anybody have a photo or video of the smoke unit working?
I buy, repair, and collect
http://scvr.weebly.com/
http://seyboldlocomotiveworks.weebly.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDeputation?feature=watch
Hyde.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1352  ~  Member Since: January 15 2012  ~  Last Visit: July 25 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 16 2012 :  3:27:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I want one too Especially the one that has OMAHA on the side
That probablly ran in UP's Omaha,NE yards
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - January 16 2012 :  11:29:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
I had one of these... uh, in the mid '80's. One problem, though... even though it chuffed smoke well, the "Chug Chug" device was causing the locomotive to lurch in each beat of the "Chug" which made a very jerky train.

I attempted to remedy this by getting to that spring and removing a few loops... and then, oop's... that thing that happens when it would seem that if only I had a tiny third hand with complimentary fingers, I could reassemble the boiler to the chassis in the same movement/application as putting the cylinders at the forward end of the rods... y'know, unscrew the long screw and it all comes apart... "it, which HA's last, oh, ma, Ha's the greatest!"

feh deh... dump! CRASH!

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?

Edited by - zebrails on January 16 2012 11:33:18 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 18 2012 :  07:23:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
I had one of these... uh, in the mid '80's. One problem, though... even though it chuffed smoke well, the "Chug Chug" device was causing the locomotive to lurch in each beat of the "Chug" which made a very jerky train.

I attempted to remedy this by getting to that spring and removing a few loops... and then, oop's... that thing that happens when it would seem that if only I had a tiny third hand with complimentary fingers, I could reassemble the boiler to the chassis in the same movement/application as putting the cylinders at the forward end of the rods... y'know, unscrew the long screw and it all comes apart... "it, which HA's last, oh, ma, Ha's the greatest!"

feh deh... dump! CRASH!

John

Originally posted by zebrails - January 16 2012 :  11:29:58 PM

John does this all mean you have droped and broken your 0-6-0t ?
frank

toptrain

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - March 30 2012 :  08:20:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
I've run across versions without the smoke and chug unit in them, too.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 06 2012 :  12:18:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
The smoke unit proably went bad and was removed
frank

toptrain

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 21 2014 :  11:22:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:
Here is a photo of the 0-6-0t. It smokes and chugs. The smoke unit puffs smoke in sinc with the cylinders. It chugs with each rotation of the axels.
frank

Originally posted by toptrain - October 25 2008 :  8:36:30 PM

I recently was given one by a train pal. It runs, sort of, at high voltage, makes a shaking bead sound, and
does not smoke. It DOES however, throw a steady stream of sparks from the left side, but does not short
the transformer. Any ideas what could be causing the short? Seems to emanate from side rods.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Autobus Prime
Hudson

Posted - October 22 2014 :  10:38:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Autobus Prime to Buddylist
quote:
I want one too Especially the one that has OMAHA on the side
That probablly ran in UP's Omaha,NE yards

Originally posted by microbusss - January 16 2012 :  3:27:18 PM

I always thought it was the Omaha Road:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago,_St._Paul,_Minneapolis_and_Omaha_Railway

http://www.cnwhs.org/ch_spmo.htm

But I see UP initials too, so maybe not...

Edited by - Autobus Prime on October 22 2014 10:40:02 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 432  ~  Member Since: March 04 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 28 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NC shortlines
Big Boy

AberdeenRockfishAvatar

Posted - October 22 2014 :  9:32:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NC shortlines to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
Here is a photo of the 0-6-0t............

I recently was given one by a train pal. It runs, sort of, at high voltage, makes a shaking bead sound, and
does not smoke. It DOES however, throw a steady stream of sparks from the left side, but does not short
the transformer. Any ideas what could be causing the short? Seems to emanate from side rods.

Originally posted by Chops124 - October 21 2014 :  11:22:32 PM

Since it's not a true short to ground, I think that the wipers are missing or not making contact. The electricity is finding a connection through the side rods, the sparks are caused by electricity jumping the gaps. Whereas normally, the electricity would go through the wheel and be picked up by the wipers and then to the motor. Just a guess. I'd really need to see the loco in action.

Unspoken expectations are premeditated failures.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 825  ~  Member Since: December 22 2008  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - October 22 2014 :  10:10:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
quote:
Here is a photo of the 0-6-0t............

Since it's not a true short to ground, I think that the wipers are missing or not making contact. The electricity is finding a connection through the side rods, the sparks are caused by electricity jumping the gaps. Whereas normally, the electricity would go through the wheel and be picked up by the wipers and then to the motor. Just a guess. I'd really need to see the loco in action.

Originally posted by NC shortlines - October 22 2014 :  9:32:56 PM

Me too, man!

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - October 22 2014 :  11:38:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
[It DOES however, throw a steady stream of sparks from the left side, but does not short the transformer. Any ideas what could be causing the short? Seems to emanate from side rods.

Check the backs of the side rods for pitting. That arcing should cause some if the wheels are shorting to the rods. At model railroad voltages, about the only way you could arc across from the wheel to the rods is if the rods were touching the wheels and then pulling away again, so look for something misaligned that would allow that contact to happen.

The pictures show wire wipers on the tops of the left wheels. These could arc a bit if they were picking up off of dirty or corroded wheels. That would be more analogous to a loose connection than a short and would not short the transformer. Cleaning those wipers and the wheels would reduce the arcing and would be a good test to try.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - October 25 2014 :  8:43:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Make sure the pickup wiper is resting properly on both wheel treads. It may have slipped off one driver and be shorting to the connecting rod. Also check the wire lugs screwed to the wiper mount... if they're not properly positioned they can short to the smoke unit.
The Tyco Depot

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 26 2014 :  12:28:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Just now thought of this
Like the Varney 0-4-0T
Do this have a more detailed valve gear to put on this?

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - October 26 2014 :  01:07:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
No, this do not.

The Tyco Depot

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 26 2014 :  08:01:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Nelson, you are speaking microbuss. That language can be harmful to your sanity. You will revert to a 4 year old.
frank

toptrain

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - October 27 2014 :  07:09:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Frank, if I've lost IQ points it's from my head hitting the desk too many times.

The Tyco Depot

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 27 2014 :  11:45:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
It looks to me like you went to sleep and a female seen is planning something to do. To you.
frank

toptrain

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - October 27 2014 :  3:31:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
It looks to me like you went to sleep and a female seen is planning something to do. To you.
frank

Originally posted by toptrain - October 27 2014 :  11:45:19 AM

I don't think I really want to know what specifically she wants to do to him.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - October 27 2014 :  4:01:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
Stephen, would you rather turn into a microbus?

And a little more OT, my Mantua little six... fell apart!

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - October 27 2014 :  5:31:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Stephen, would you rather turn into a microbus?

And a little more OT, my Mantua little six... fell apart!

Originally posted by PRR 4800 - October 27 2014 :  4:01:08 PM

I wouldn't go that far.

-Steve

Previous Topic: ID please? Topic Next Topic: Revell New Haven F7  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000