Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Train Sets
 Tyco train set with UP SD-24
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Golden Eagle Set Topic Next Topic: Tyco Instruction sheet for sets.  

deitner
Switcher

Posted - September 08 2008 :  9:17:52 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add deitner to Buddylist
Okay, so I just stumbled upon this site about Tyco model/toy trains, and even though I was always more of an Athearn guy, my first train set was a Tyco and it was responsible for me getting into model railroading. One thing I noted on the page about Tyco's SD-24 (http://ho-scaletrains.net/tycotrains/id14.html) is he says the SD-24 was never sold in a train set. I know that it was because I had it (circa 1978 or 79). Don't ask me too many questions, because I was only 4 years old at the time so don't remember a whole lot about it, but I still have the (non-working) locomotive in my collection. It's a UP SD-24 and to my eye it doesn't look as cheap and plasticy as most of Tyco's 70s/80s stuff, but I'm pretty sure it's got the Tyco name on the bottom.

The set was a figure 8 over-and-under and as I recall it came with both a log dump car and a piggyback loader (I very much remember the piggyback flat car still being in my posession in the early 90s when I started to transition to Athearn stuff).

Does anyone else recall this set? Have pictures of the box? Since it was my first got me into all this, I'd love to see it again with fresh eyes.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1  ~  Member Since: September 08 2008  ~  Last Visit: October 18 2008 Alert Moderator 

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - September 09 2008 :  8:56:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
Hi, and welcome.

Although I don't know whether or not this engine ever came in a set, I do agree with an observation you made. The SD-24 Tyco made is pretty nice. I'm not a rivet counter but the really toyish models don't have great appeal. The SD-24 does however appeal to me, they must have done something right.

I believe one of our very active members GoingInCirclez has done a nice write up concerning these engines.

http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=214
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

badman55
Big Six

badman 55

Posted - June 08 2009 :  10:02:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add badman55 to Buddylist
quote:
Okay, so I just stumbled upon this site about Tyco model/toy trains, and even though I was always more of an Athearn guy, my first train set was a Tyco and it was responsible for me getting into model railroading. One thing I noted on the page about Tyco's SD-24 (http://ho-scaletrains.net/tycotrains/id14.html) is he says the SD-24 was never sold in a train set. I know that it was because I had it (circa 1978 or 79). Don't ask me too many questions, because I was only 4 years old at the time so don't remember a whole lot about it, but I still have the (non-working) locomotive in my collection. It's a UP SD-24 and to my eye it doesn't look as cheap and plasticy as most of Tyco's 70s/80s stuff, but I'm pretty sure it's got the Tyco name on the bottom.

The set was a figure 8 over-and-under and as I recall it came with both a log dump car and a piggyback loader (I very much remember the piggyback flat car still being in my posession in the early 90s when I started to transition to Athearn stuff).

Does anyone else recall this set? Have pictures of the box? Since it was my first got me into all this, I'd love to see it again with fresh eyes.

Originally posted by deitner-September 08 2008: 9:17:52 PM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 252  ~  Member Since: May 16 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 10 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

badman55
Big Six

badman 55

Posted - June 08 2009 :  10:13:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add badman55 to Buddylist
The only Tyco set that I can recall having a UP SD-24 engine, was in an old Western Auto Christmas catalog from about '78 or '79. I can't recall all the cars that were included with it, but I do remember seeing the Autolaoder with 6 autos included. The caboose was the red no name streamlined cupola, like the one issued with the '78 version of the Chattanooga Choo Choo with the 0-8-0 configuration steam loco, the chrome Shell tank, and the Baby Ruth Hi-Cube boxcar with the big rolling wheel, that made the chugging sound. other than that, I've never seen the UP SD-24 included in a set. I think it is a nice looking engine myself. I own the Burlington Route version of this locomotive. I've never seen this one in a set either. I've only seen it sold individually. That's all I have to offer on this subject.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 252  ~  Member Since: May 16 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 10 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lehigh310
Switcher

Posted - June 29 2009 :  6:28:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lehigh310 to Buddylist
Here's another UP SD24 set, from the 1978 Sears Wish Book. The image is from an old eBay listing - the seller had some sample pages from the catalog, and one of them was this.

(This is my first attempt at pasting a picture into a message, so no guarantees on how this will turn out!)

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 8  ~  Member Since: January 17 2007  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

badman55
Big Six

badman 55

Posted - July 05 2009 :  8:25:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add badman55 to Buddylist
Yeah, thanks for sharing the photo fo the Sears Wish Book from '78, lehigh310! I had forgotten that Sears had a set with the UP SD-24. I was twelve years old at that time. I had gotten the big styrofoam layout set that Life Like offered in the Wards catalog that same year, along with afive unit train from the same company, which included the Southern F-7, Blue B&M boxcar, red B&O hopperwith coal load, yellow MKT cattle car, and yellow four window caboose with the number 1973. I no longer have any of this. I have the Tyco train set from 1971 called the Super Over and Under featuring a Burlington route GP-20, and the rolling stock that came with it. It should be in the photo section of my profile.

CNVIATyco
Big Boy

BC Rail

Posted - October 11 2011 :  12:53:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNVIATyco to Buddylist
Thanks For Pic! Curious. It Looks Like A Silver Streak Set With Some Modifications. Like Rolling Stock Changes. It Had A Piggyback Loader.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1102  ~  Member Since: July 28 2011  ~  Last Visit: July 01 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Golden Eagle Set Topic Next Topic: Tyco Instruction sheet for sets.  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000