Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 18 ]  [ Total: 18 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Motive Power
 Tyco Mantua Steam Engine Questions - B&O Royal Blu
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: MU CONVERTED TYCO DIESELS Topic Next Topic: 630 fans  

railfanreading
Switcher

Posted - August 14 2008 :  9:57:10 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add railfanreading to Buddylist
Ok, I have a B&O Royal Blue Pacific steam engine with the Aluminum 5 car set. I completely took the engine apart and cleaned the motor. It runs GREAT in reverse but slow forward, like there is a power draw somewhere. This goes for another Tyco/Mantua steamer I have as well. Any suggestions on what might be wrong? I want to get it running perfect for e-bay sale.

Also, are there tools for the small bolts on the drivers? I think one or two need to be tightened.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 19  ~  Member Since: August 14 2008  ~  Last Visit: November 07 2008 Alert Moderator 

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - August 15 2008 :  9:47:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
Welcome to the forums.

Are you referring to one of the older open frame style motors that look like this?

/tyco/forum/uploaded/new_york_central/OpenFrameMotor.jpg

That's a common problem with these older style motors and can sometimes be solved with the use of a small washer. I had this same problem and question. I received some great experienced answers at this link below, and instead of rehashing it all I'll let you read it there. Those are the guys who should get all the credit.

http://cs.trains.com/forums/553829/ShowPost.aspx
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

railfanreading
Switcher

Posted - August 19 2008 :  3:36:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add railfanreading to Buddylist
Thanks for the advice. I pulled the motor and put two small washers on the bushing and re-installed the motor. The engine runs much better forward. With that said, when I put the five cars with lighting on the track it would barely move. I detached the cars with the cars still on the track and still the same thing. As I removed the cars one by one the engine ran better and better until the last car was removed. I will apparently have to put a new can motor in this baby as the motor is sucking up way too much power.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 19  ~  Member Since: August 14 2008  ~  Last Visit: November 07 2008 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - August 19 2008 :  6:31:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
What powerpack are you using?
If the cars have lights in them (I assume they do from your post stating it ran better as you took each car off the track) The lights may be what is drawing all the current.
The power pack may not have enough amps to light the cars and run the motor.

Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Adams
Big Boy

Posted - August 19 2008 :  10:33:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Adams to Buddylist
Have you tried my previous suggestion of cleaning all tender contacts? Like I said, I thought it must be bearings, magnets, etc., but you get weak current draw with bad contacts, and slower forward movement because the motor naturally has more friction in that direction (because of where the bearings are). If you absolutely POLISH the tender's metal wheels, truck bolsters (both truck and tender surfaces), the end of the tender-to-loco wire, and spray-clean the axle points, I bet it would work. It did for me.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 874  ~  Member Since: October 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: June 09 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - August 20 2008 :  01:29:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Railfan,

One thing you have to be careful not to do with these old open frame motors is remove the armature from the magnetic field, as it acts as a magnetic keeper. The magnets in these motors were usually given an extra charge after the motor was assembled that is lost when they are taken apart. It should be possible to slip washers around the rear of the shaft without removing the armature completely. If you have removed the armature, then you're probably experiencing the effects of a weakened magnet, which will cause a loss of torque and a high current draw that may be overtaxing your powerpack. Though small, the additional draw of the illuminated coaches won't help in that situation.

These motors can be revived with a stack of neodymium magnets that can be bought inexpensively on eBay, or you can replace it completely with a can motor as you mentioned. Yardbird Trains has some very good options, though they're not cheap. http://www.yardbirdtrains.com/YBMotorIndx.htm

Incidentally, can motors can be disassembled completely without losing any magnetism, which is one of many advantages.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

railfanreading
Switcher

Posted - August 21 2008 :  10:58:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add railfanreading to Buddylist
Thanks for all the good advice. I have just ordered two Helix Humper Can motors as this seems like the best option. I have three Pacifics (PRR, Santa Fe, and B&O) and one Hudson (PRR) from my dad. I would like to repower two for myself and the one B&O for resale. I'll get back to you once the new motors come and I get them installed and running. I will get video as well.

On the royal blue I "think" there was an emblem on the engine I am missing. Any idea on where to find one of these?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 19  ~  Member Since: August 14 2008  ~  Last Visit: November 07 2008 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

railfanreading
Switcher

Posted - August 21 2008 :  12:51:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add railfanreading to Buddylist
One more thing. As far as disassembling the motor goes, I had to to get all the gunk away from the magnets which alos gave me an opportunity to remove any fine metal grit from the casing as well which will be stuck to the magnet. The engine preformed MUCH better after doing this.

What can I say, the motor is how old?????

By far the best thing about getting the engine to run was having the opportunity to learn how to strip one of these babies right down to the frame and reassemble it!

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - August 21 2008 :  5:08:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
And Cudo's to you for doing it, and not just buying a replacement or chanting the Atlas-China RTR Mantra!

-Gareth
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

railfanreading
Switcher

Posted - August 22 2008 :  10:54:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add railfanreading to Buddylist
Now that you bring up the RTR crowd, I am amazed at how the hobby has changed. It used to be that people got in the hobby so they could show what they did themselves as a modeler. There are few MODELERS today in the hobby.

The RTR crowd is like a guy who has Home Depot come in and remodel his kitchen then stand around and tell all his friends what a great job he did in remodeling the kitchen.

I try and take pride in learning new things and figuring things out. Here is my custom models business website:

http://www.railfanreading.com/Layout/Prototype/Prototype.htm

Pierce
Big Six

Posted - August 22 2008 :  3:52:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Pierce to Buddylist
Railfan,

Were abuot in Reading do you live? I live in Fleetwood on Pricetown Rd by Boyers Jct. Do you ever deal with G&K hobbies, I think that is the name. The owners name is Bill Krug, I think I have not been in there in over 2 years since my dad passed. But him and my dad worked at Carpenter(Car Tech) for years together. Nice to meet some locals out there.

Adam
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 204  ~  Member Since: August 19 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 21 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

railfanreading
Switcher

Posted - August 22 2008 :  3:56:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add railfanreading to Buddylist
Muhlenberg by the green water tower on Tuckerton Rd.

I don't know if he's still in business.....I deal with Steve at the Iron horse

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - August 22 2008 :  4:42:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Good choice, Jim. Those Pacifics should really glide with all of that smooth flywheel power. Can't wait to see them in action.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: MU CONVERTED TYCO DIESELS Topic Next Topic: 630 fans  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000