Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 18 ]  [ Total: 18 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Motive Power
 MU CONVERTED TYCO DIESELS
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Remember When... Topic Next Topic: Tyco Mantua Steam Engine Questions - B&O Royal Blu  

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - May 05 2007 :  9:00:04 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
For Ernesto refreshed 8-24-08

Here are pictures of what a tyco that originally had a power torque drive that has been swapped out with a mantua drive. The front Mu truck will fit into the tyco shell perfectly. On the rear-i used the mu truck also-to do this-you have to use the spring off the power torques rear drive and a flat washer(1mm thick and 11mm wide) placed on top of spring to keep it level. Total time for the complete swap=15 min or less. Well worth it. You do not have to swap rear truck but you will have different looking side frames as mantuas are more realistic and a little smaller than tyco. The side frames are not interchangable either as manutas are slightly shorter. see pictures below

first engine has original power torque-2nd is mu converted

Edited by - Brianstyco on August 24 2008 10:54:33 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator 

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - May 05 2007 :  9:29:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Thanks Brian,
I'm anxious to do that kind of a swap. Hey that SS Alco looks good with handrails, why didn't Tyco think of that? [^] You never see them (SS) with handrails, not in the catalog pictures.

Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - May 05 2007 :  10:41:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
Thanks alco fan. Here is a tyco Rock Island converted to a mantua driven unit. There is some modification required to mount the rear mantua truck. tab. You will need a Plastruct beam also. You use the original tyco rear mount lug for shell only. Remove the rear power torque pick up completely. Snap the tyco trucks off shell lug. Using the plaastruct beam- cut into two pieces and glue to the metal mantua plate Then glue it to the tyco shell lug. Reconnect the power pick up wire with screw and snap back into shell. The unit should be sitting level. I used walthers goo on mine. For the front-remove coupler pocket completely and bend or cut off where coupler mounted to allow turning. no other modifications required. I used a kadee#5 on the rear. I completely removed the original coupler pocket and glued the number 5's housing onto where the mantua cover went. no front coupler installed yet-probably a #27or #28 for front.

Edited by - Brianstyco on May 05 2007 10:44:44 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - May 08 2007 :  8:53:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Brian was right!
I just converted a PT Alco shell into a MU-2 powerhouse and it took maybe 15 minutes. I used all the MU-2 Alco drive and trucks but the PT Alco tank. I put a washer on the stock rear bolster , as Bryan suggested, to raise the rear up so the plow wouldn't hit the track.
This Alco came from the 'bay in B&O colors and although a 430 it had 630 Mantua trucks. I stripped it before Christmas and think I'll paint it as a demonstrator. [:D]

Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - May 12 2007 :  11:14:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
"This Alco came from the 'bay in B&O colors and although a 430 it had 630 Mantua trucks. I stripped it before Christmas and think I'll paint it as a demonstrator." previously posted by AF

I won an auction yesterday for Alco Century demonstrator decals. I was the only human on the planet interested in those decals. What's that tell me?

Having fun with trains,
PS: Sunday is Mother's Day fellows!
AF

Alco Fan
Edited by - Alco Fan on May 14 2007 12:47:39 PM

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - May 12 2007 :  1:53:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
May I take this opportunity to ask the difference between an MU-2 and a PT? Don't want to miss out on a good boxlot find. Thank you in advance for any help.
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - May 12 2007 :  6:49:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
The MU-2 motor was in early Tyco Mantua diesels, and is most dependable and prefered when compared to the PT motored (Power Torque) diesels. The basic design of the MU-2 has an armature that is typical to those in most and more expensive models. The PT has a flat "pancake" design and I believe is very similar to the armature on '60s Aurora HO slot cars. They often run well and then just give up, which is disappointing. The MU2s just keep on going... and have this great slow speed growl.
The PTs will also at times have a problem with the metal gear on the armature shaft slipping so that a repair needs to be attempted.
Personally they are all interesting and I'm not bashing the PT. Some of the Alco Super 630s are Mantua Tycos and use a PT motor. The later Tyco only 630s were PTs also
There's lots of more complete info in the forum and in the Tyco Collectors site.
I'd love to find a box lot deal! [^]

Alco Fan
Edited by - Alco Fan on May 12 2007 6:58:53 PM

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - August 25 2008 :  01:51:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Shaygetz, the MU-2 truck used the same 5 pole armature, magnet and brushes as the PM-1 motor in the steamers. The location of the armature precluded any six-axle units.

This is an odd picture, because it has a plastic gimbal like a PT, but a steel bottom plate. MU-2's had metal gimbals, except for a cheap plastic version that was only made around 1974.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Remember When... Topic Next Topic: Tyco Mantua Steam Engine Questions - B&O Royal Blu  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000