Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 22 ]  [ Total: 22 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Accessories
 Largest Tyco set I ever seen...
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Bubble Yum Trailers - Different Colors? Topic Next Topic: Tyco US1 Tractor & Trailer in Vintage Sears Livery  

taycotrains
Big Six

TAYCOTRAINS

Posted - July 09 2008 :  11:30:45 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add taycotrains to Buddylist
We recently picked up a Tyco set that I thought was just a common set with a bunch of extra accessories .

Ebay item number 180258306723

I was mostly just interested in the boxed Mikado and I ended up winning the auction.

Well my luck with shipping damage ran out with this item.

The Mikado was destroyed in shipment from Ohio to NJ.
The engine smashed through the cellophane window destroying the box and
twisting the tender 180 degrees from the engine ,busted cow catcher and the valve linkage on one side completely destroyed.

The extra Alco that was not part of the original set has a busted front coupler from the trip too.

On the "up side" the seller over the phone agreed to refunding a
good percentage of my money...so I am not complaining.

I also gave him a "primer" on how to ship model trains (which by his own admission they do not do much of)

This is one of those Ebay drop off stores.

Back to the set...
When I opened up the shipping box and saw that the bottom portion
of the set box was huge unlike any Tyco set I ever seen.(the bottom portion is massive like the kind of box you would get a sheet cake in)
I went right to Tonys site to research it and realized that all of the stuff
that was in the box belongs there...somewhere along the line the original owner added a extra switch and some track and a Burlington
Alco.

The battery operated culvert loader did not fair the trip well either
but I was able to fix the motor that came off its mounting and resolder
the wires back on and get it to work and my son is using it on his layout.

The real challenge was finding "C" cell batterys...I had to go to 3 stores
before I found them today at a Home Depot.

I gave it to him to use because I have a "carded version" of this accessory and since there is no box I am assuming it came that way
(carded) in the set.

Heres a video of him using it on his layout....

"http://www.youtube.com/v/r_178_A45nw&hl=en&fs=1"

Despite the damage all in all a interesting set and quite "pricey"
at $80.00 in 1968 (this is the set with the large single control pack)

I will try to replace the busted stuff at Allentown and York and try to make it a complete set.

Bob T

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 385  ~  Member Since: August 08 2007  ~  Last Visit: October 10 2023 Alert Moderator 

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - March 25 2021 :  10:04:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

"We recently picked up a Tyco set that I thought was just a common set with a bunch of extra accessories .

Ebay item number 180258306723

I was mostly just interested in the boxed Mikado and I ended up winning the auction.

Well my luck with shipping damage ran out with this item.

The Mikado was destroyed in shipment from Ohio to NJ.
The engine smashed through the cellophane window destroying the box and
twisting the tender 180 degrees from the engine ,busted cow catcher and the valve linkage on one side completely destroyed.

The extra Alco that was not part of the original set has a busted front coupler from the trip too.

On the "up side" the seller over the phone agreed to refunding a
good percentage of my money...so I am not complaining.

I also gave him a "primer" on how to ship model trains (which by his own admission they do not do much of)

This is one of those Ebay drop off stores.

Back to the set...
When I opened up the shipping box and saw that the bottom portion
of the set box was huge unlike any Tyco set I ever seen.(the bottom portion is massive like the kind of box you would get a sheet cake in)
I went right to Tonys site to research it and realized that all of the stuff
that was in the box belongs there...somewhere along the line the original owner added a extra switch and some track and a Burlington
Alco.

The battery operated culvert loader did not fair the trip well either
but I was able to fix the motor that came off its mounting and resolder
the wires back on and get it to work and my son is using it on his layout.

The real challenge was finding "C" cell batterys...I had to go to 3 stores
before I found them today at a Home Depot.

I gave it to him to use because I have a "carded version" of this accessory and since there is no box I am assuming it came that way
(carded) in the set.

Here is a video of him using it on his layout....

Despite the damage all in all a interesting set and quite "pricey"
at $80.00 in 1968 (this is the set with the large single control pack)

I will try to replace the busted stuff at Allentown and York and try to make it a complete set."

Bob T

Originally posted by taycotrains on July 09 2008 at 11:30 PM.

The original depot unloading accessory.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5878  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Bubble Yum Trailers - Different Colors? Topic Next Topic: Tyco US1 Tractor & Trailer in Vintage Sears Livery  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000