Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 21 ]  [ Total: 21 ]  [ Newest Member: top_jimmy44 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Accessories
 #959 Tractor Loader (keystone coal)
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Largest Tyco set I ever seen... Topic Next Topic: Tyco # 908 Operating crossing video  

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - June 16 2008 :  7:26:34 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Does anyone have the box for one of these? If so, could you scan the lid and send me the pic? I have one in the box, but the lid is torn. I'd like to print a patch and repair the missing area.

As far as accessories go... it's a little balky at times but this is easily the coolest manual operating accessory I've ever seen. When it works well it's a marvel for its simplicity of mechanism and complexity of operation.

Edited by - GoingInCirclez on June 16 2008 7:27:10 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator 

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - June 16 2008 :  7:29:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
What, you're going to print the damaged section and graft it in, or the whole lid?

-Gareth

Edited by - romcat on June 16 2008 7:42:43 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4188  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - June 16 2008 :  7:56:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
This is the box i have G-I-C

Edited by - Brianstyco on June 16 2008 7:57:04 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2484  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 30 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - June 16 2008 :  8:15:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Brian - check your PM box and thanks!

Gareth - Not sure. My first "patch graft" attempt was 100% dead-on accurate for scale, resolution, and placement, but the color was off:

However, I did NOT attempt any color correction first and given the other flaws with that particular set example, it was good enough. Better than the gaping hole it had before at any rate.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - June 16 2008 :  8:33:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Wait-a-minute, thats a patch!

Thats astonishing. Yeah colours off some, dammmm thats just bi___ing! [:D]

Love yer work pal!

-Gareth
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4188  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - June 16 2008 :  9:16:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hey GIC:

I was just prattling to Ray in an email and I realized something buddy. You reflect a characteristic of the "Greatest Generation" in your willingness to adapt and improvise. We're kinda odd that way since the boomer gen and yours who I guess are "X-ers" usually don't. Anyway just wanted to mention that and BTW, the legacy lives cause if our "Uber-kid" Cheez is reading this he has some of that too! (So do Ray of course and SG among others!)

-Gareth

Edited by - romcat on June 16 2008 9:16:44 PM

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - June 16 2008 :  10:37:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Well it ain't perfect, but it'll do. I wasn't going to nag poor Brian to death to get *just the right picture* but what he sent me was good enough!

PS Gareth - that's high praise by way of comparison and I don't dare to enterain the notion, but thanks regardless.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - June 17 2008 :  11:58:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Very nice work, excellent. That really increases the usefulness as a display item. I bought a complete piggy back set with the dock, mint in a nice box except someone doodled with an ink pen on the top and also found a mint SF work caboose in a CB&Q animated box car box with the same problem. I'm going to try to save them.
This is a good general topic "Box Restoration" or "restoration" in general.

Alco Fan
Edited by - Alco Fan on June 17 2008 1:34:30 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2430  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 18 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - June 17 2008 :  1:39:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Hey Tony. That looks great[:D] How did you make the patch? Just size and print the scan and then glue it on? no wait...it can't be that easy[:p] [B)]
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 2453  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 29 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - June 17 2008 :  3:18:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
A scan needs to be used, because, with no further editing necessary, it will be generally flat, squared, and duplicate at the exact "actual size". Even if it looks bigger on the computer screen it will print at actual size. By comparison, a photograph would need to be cut cropped straightened resized and scaled - too much trial error and aggravation.

Scanning at higher-res helps tremendously. I didn't want to nag Brian to death (beggars can't be choosers) but his was a little low, so I couldn't do any color correction. At 1200dpi or higher, the details and grain would be razor-sharp, preventing pixelation and other artifacts when correction is tried. Of course if I printed the entire image, color-matching wouldn't be an issue.

But yeah you got the idea: Scan and print. I printed onto shipping labels (adhesive paper) to eliminate the glue middle-man. [;)]

On standard boxes (rolling stock and the like) with small surface tears, I have used brown or red sharpies to color in the white area. Not a perfect match but nice enough for display, usually.

(^ That empty box was one of the very VERY FEW things I still had that said "Tyco" on it when I restarted the hobby about 9 years ago. But I'd had it , in that condition, since before I'd had any concept of what a "Alco 430" or "Penn Central" was.)

So when I was finally able to fill it 20 years later, I fixed the box... as best as able.

Edited by - GoingInCirclez on June 17 2008 3:32:20 PM

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - June 17 2008 :  4:28:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
I bought a footlocker of Tyco stuff at a Farmer's Market last July. It had alot of the original brown boxes to a SS set but someone had used masking tape to seal both ends of the the boxes. I was able to save them by using a hair dryer to warm the adhesive on the tape then carefully pull it loose with no damage to most.
Using the sharpies to touch-up is a great idea.

Alco Fan
Edited by - Alco Fan on June 17 2008 5:31:02 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2430  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 18 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - June 17 2008 :  7:04:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
G-I-C --you wouldn't have been nagging--i can boost resolution up if needed for you. it will take a little longer maybe to download depending on your connection. I will be glad to rescan and send--just let me know[:D] I am glad to be of help to you and anyone else if i have it or can acquire it.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2484  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 30 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - June 17 2008 :  7:44:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hey GIC:

Is that the PC 430 I sent you?

Kinda heartwarming little piece of conclusion! .... [:D] [:D] [:D]

-Gareth
  Previous Topic: Largest Tyco set I ever seen... Topic Next Topic: Tyco # 908 Operating crossing video  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000