Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Maintenance & Repair Shop
 Howto clean old track?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: $10 dremel vs. dirty model train contact wheels Topic Next Topic: Restoring/Shell-Swapping a TYCO PowerTorque ALCO  

cement_head
Switcher

Posted - March 22 2008 :  11:46:42 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add cement_head to Buddylist
I just received my old Tyco train set from my Dad. It has run in twenty years, but seems to want to go. The track is badly tarnished (from age/oxidization).

What's the best way to clean? Isopropyl (Rubbing) alcohol? Or is there a specific type of train cleaner that I can use/buy?

Thanks,
Andor
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2  ~  Member Since: March 22 2008  ~  Last Visit: March 25 2008 Alert Moderator 

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - March 23 2008 :  12:01:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
Yes you can use rubbing alcohol. A pumice stone works great also. DO not use STEEL WOOL. The fibers left behind can get sucked up into motor and burn it up. Scotch-Brite pads are safe as i believe Tyco use to include a small square one in train sets as i remember getting one in a set for christmas one year. If train does not run after cleaning track-you may want to consider to upgrade to nickel silver as Tyco Tru-Steel -if corroded badly will not conduct the current even after a good cleaning. Locomotive wheels should be cleaned good to. Hope this helps
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - March 23 2008 :  7:41:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I bought a full circle of Tyco steel track a while ago that was badly tarnished and starting to rust. I had to sand the tops of the rails to get a train to run on it. I started with a powerdrill with a sanding head, and then worked my way down to fine sandpaper. Eventually I had a smooth finish, and the trains ran very well on it.

Your track probably isn't as bad as mine was though, so just do what Brian said. If the train still doesn't work well, buy some nickel track.

-cheez
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Adams
Big Boy

Posted - March 24 2008 :  12:37:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Adams to Buddylist
I've had great success with an electrical contact spray (mine is called CD Electronic Cleaner-Marine). I just spray some on a rag, and wipe the rails. Dirt, tarnish, everything seems to come off. Might be worth a try. A local hardware store might have it (got mine at Ace).
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 874  ~  Member Since: October 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: June 09 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

cement_head
Switcher

Posted - March 25 2008 :  08:06:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add cement_head to Buddylist
Great! Thanks guys, I'll let you know what worked.

- Andor
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2  ~  Member Since: March 22 2008  ~  Last Visit: March 25 2008 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ryan
Switcher

Posted - March 30 2008 :  10:14:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ryan to Buddylist
I used some Never-Dull wadding polish to clean my rails. If you get it on the plastic it might dull it a little but so far it's been working fine.. I might try the contact spray below also..
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4  ~  Member Since: March 30 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2008 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ryan
Switcher

Posted - March 31 2008 :  8:46:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ryan to Buddylist

I use "Never Dull" between a paid of pliers or tweezers and run this along the track. This is keeping most of the never dull away from the platic. I noticed that if I get it on the plastic that it fades the plastic a little. After I clean with "Never Dull" I clean the track with soap and water. Then I make sure I dry each tack well.. They really shine...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4  ~  Member Since: March 30 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2008 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - May 02 2021 :  12:08:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Update this thread with a helpful video from the internet. Not my video.

Just letting you know about this possible solution for any track cleaning situations.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5875  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - May 02 2021 :  09:23:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
well i use Isopropyl (Rubbing) alcohol,gets them clean and drys in seconds,its also what i clean my plasma/led tvs with
catfordken
if you cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel,try turning around
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: $10 dremel vs. dirty model train contact wheels Topic Next Topic: Restoring/Shell-Swapping a TYCO PowerTorque ALCO  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000