Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Rolling Stock
 Tyco errors and oddities
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Just a Few Streamliners... Topic Next Topic: Strasburg  

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - January 23 2008 :  10:22:12 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Just thought I'd share a couple neat pieces in my collection.

Toward the end of the redbox era, Tyco started cutting corners on paint schemes by eliminating colors. A prime example of this can be found on the 40' Santa Fe boxcar... which lost its black "DF" and "A Smoother Ride" markings.

Tyco also eliminated the black on Burlington Route cars... such as the boxcar and covered gondola.

But they perhaps went a little too far in their zeal to cut corners:

The next example isn't a factory error so much as it is a cool bit of wear and tear. This is a recent haunt find that I haven;t yet cleaned; note the dirt and crud in the eaves and rivets:

Although I wonder if cleaning it would fully ghost out both sides, as seen on the other:

I kind of like it, actually! I have seen real railroad cars that weather this way.

Edited by - GoingInCirclez on November 09 2009 12:19:35 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator 

ILUVBUDWSR
Hudson

fty

Posted - January 24 2008 :  9:00:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ILUVBUDWSR to Buddylist
LOL Wonder if that is a prototype? Must have slipped by quality control!
A lone amature built the ark! A large group of professionals built the titanic!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 423  ~  Member Since: September 25 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 08 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - January 26 2008 :  01:25:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist

No Photo touch up, here. This is the prototype.

Only the Rail exists with parent company SOO.

btw... I don't see any pictures. Boxes with a slash.

Wholey guano batman... that's big.
oh, sorry it's also blurry.
John

Canadian Pacific: "Go Ahead, SOO ME!"

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?

Edited by - zebrails on January 26 2008 01:28:42 AM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - August 15 2008 :  1:05:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Tyco made their 40' reefer in KAHN'S and ARMOUR. They also made one with both names on the same car. It may have been a mistake or just because both companies merged.
toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

mix3d3m0ti0n5
Little Six

Chessie Wink

Posted - August 15 2008 :  4:11:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mix3d3m0ti0n5 to Buddylist
hey, GIC - peectueeeeeerrrrrrrrrs please :)
~anna
-----------------------------------
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 105  ~  Member Since: December 23 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - August 15 2008 :  10:41:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
HUZZAH I FIX
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - August 20 2008 :  01:35:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
GIC, was the missing wheelset in the top photo part of their cost-cutting too?
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

VintageHO
Mikado

Tyco Time

Posted - August 31 2008 :  10:02:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add VintageHO to Buddylist
Here's what happens when the print screen is not lined up correctly.
The Car is an Early Tyco / Mantua Tank with Diecast chassis.

Numquam Immoderatio Satis Est
(Too Much Is Never Enough )
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 632  ~  Member Since: January 23 2006  ~  Last Visit: June 21 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - September 01 2008 :  11:22:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
quote:
GIC, was the missing wheelset in the top photo part of their cost-cutting too?

Originally posted by NickelPlate759-August 20 2008: 01:35:00 AM

Ha ha, maybe it was... funny thing is I'm so used to that kind of stuff with secondhand Tyco I didn't even notice when I took the pic!

V-HO, that's pretty funny. "Modiigas". A whole new brand entirely! I note the data on the ends of the car; it annoys me that they dropped that feature on most runs. The early tankers - especially the chemical cars - were gorgeous!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 03 2008 :  5:55:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist

You have the Armour reefer
You have the Kahn's reefer
Now here is the Armour Kahn's reefer

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on October 03 2008 5:57:37 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - November 02 2008 :  6:54:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Two more oddities I recently acquired:

This RML caboose betrays some play wear, but not any means by which the white stripe could have been removed. The paint underneath is clean and unblemished, and the stripe exists on the other side.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This next one is more interesting:

Unfortunately this example has suffered some plastic discoloration due to heat/age/cigarette smoke. BUT it IS a plain, undecorated, white plastic boxcar with the Pledge/Future promotional decals applied. NO PAINT WHATSOEVER!

While it has yellowed over time, the contrast is more apparent when placed next to the standard production version.

Edited by - GoingInCirclez on November 02 2008 6:55:03 PM

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - February 20 2009 :  12:05:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
The only odd piece I have that I'm aware of is the YELLOW version of the Burlington Boxcar. An ebay auction sold by the member; New York Central, on the forum, and on Ebay..

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - November 09 2009 :  12:14:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Snuck this into CotW last week but realized it should have gone here.

This is a rare car I've been seeking for a while - it exemplifies several odd traits and is not just a simple mistake.

The Great Northern pulpwood is usually green, and uses completely different graphics. The graphics on this one actually came from the cable reel car.... but on the cable reel car they were yellow, not white as shown here. And instead of being used on the GN Green pulpwood car, they used it on a Southern Red one. Truly an odd and deliberate combination, but don't know if it was an evaluation sample or a "Friday Special".

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - November 09 2009 :  12:33:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
quote:

This is a rare car I've been seeking for a while - it exemplifies several odd traits and is not just a simple mistake.

The Great Northern pulpwood is usually green, and uses completely different graphics. The graphics on this one actually came from the cable reel car.... but on the cable reel car they were yellow, not white as shown here. And instead of being used on the GN Green pulpwood car, they used it on a Southern Red one. Truly an odd and deliberate combination, but don't know if it was an evaluation sample or a "Friday Special".

Originally posted by GoingInCirclez-November 09 2009: 12:14:33 AM

Saw that and right away knew it was odd. At first I thought someone took the top end off of a Southern Pulpwood and plopped it down on the great northern cable reel flat. I later realized that flat car was green. Very nice find, again, yet another quest.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1322  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - November 09 2009 :  12:48:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
This will be arriving to me shortly. Had my eye on this one for a while. I have seen one before but had no idea what I had in front of me at the time.

TYCO # 363B FACTORY PAINTED w/ Box

Below is what everyone else has.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1322  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - November 09 2009 :  12:53:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
quote:
The only odd piece I have that I'm aware of is the YELLOW version of the Burlington Boxcar. An ebay auction sold by the member; New York Central, on the forum, and on Ebay..

Originally posted by walt-February 20 2009: 12:05:14 AM

That's a beautiful car Walt, that guy sells some great Tyco. I can smell the mint all the way over here.

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - November 09 2009 :  01:00:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
quote:
This will be arriving to me shortly. Had my eye on this one for a while. I have seen one before but had no idea what I had in front of me at the time.

Originally posted by New_York_Central-November 09 2009: 12:48:35 AM

I hate to be the one to say it, but that's actually a standard Mantua State Series release, in the wrong box. It says "MMP 711" in the keystone.

Yeah. Wrong box, but understandably so: someone probably found the car loose and then a "matching" box later. A pox on Mantua for its schizophrenic identity crises, Jekylhydistic quality, and using the same chassis and keeping the Tyco name embossed on the bottom. Loose examples confuse both newbie and veteran alike.

Hmm, well. They went out of business. I guess the pox won't be necessary.

Edited by - GoingInCirclez on November 09 2009 01:03:00 AM

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - November 09 2009 :  01:08:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by New_York_Central-November 09 2009: 12:48:35 AM

I hate to be the one to say it, but that's actually a standard Mantua State Series release, in the wrong box. It says "MMP 711" in the keystone.

Yeah. Wrong box, but understandably so: someone probably found the car loose and then a "matching" box later. A pox on Mantua for its schizophrenic identity crises, Jekylhydistic quality, and using the same chassis and keeping the Tyco name embossed on the bottom. Loose examples confuse both newbie and veteran alike.

Hmm, well. They went out of business. I guess the pox won't be necessary.

Originally posted by GoingInCirclez-November 09 2009: 01:00:44 AM

NYC slips out of room and off to bed with tail between legs...

I couldn't find a pic of the PA car for the Mantua series and failed to ask for one.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 09 2009 :  11:55:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
hey GiC I has that Clean n Clear car Picked it up at the train show in Feb '09

also I dunno who even made this Zenith car

all it says on bottom is Made in Slovenia
yeah I know my webcam sucks
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ILUVBUDWSR
Hudson

fty

Posted - November 11 2009 :  07:36:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ILUVBUDWSR to Buddylist
[/quote]

NYC slips out of room and off to bed with tail between legs...

I couldn't find a pic of the PA car for the Mantua series and failed to ask for one.

Originally posted by New_York_Central-November 09 2009: 01:08:04 AM

[/quote]

Ahhhhhh! Don't sweat it Todd! It has happened to me a bunch of times. Look at the bright side. You got a VERY nice car coming to you. The down side is you will just need the other 49 now....LOL

A lone amature built the ark! A large group of professionals built the titanic!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 423  ~  Member Since: September 25 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 08 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

choochin3
Mikado

USA

Posted - November 11 2009 :  6:56:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add choochin3 to Buddylist
MB,
I think the Zenith car was made by Mehano

Carl T.

President of the Cape James Terminal RR.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 691  ~  Member Since: April 16 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 01 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 11 2009 :  7:29:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
no choochin Tony says its a Bachmann
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GG-1 Guy
Mikado

GG-1

Posted - May 14 2013 :  11:54:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GG-1 Guy to Buddylist
What were the pictures up top from Tony??
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 664  ~  Member Since: May 05 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - February 17 2014 :  5:07:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by walt - February 20 2009 :  12:05:14 AM

That boxcar does not look right. I have never seen a Burlington Northern boxcar in a yellow variant. Very odd.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - February 20 2014 :  3:20:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by GoingInCirclez - November 09 2009 :  12:14:33 AM

I swear I've seen one of those before.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 06 2020 :  3:27:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Perhaps some members have some rare cars with printing errors.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 06 2020 :  6:06:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
When I go to the Great Train Set in the Sky, bury me with the
yellow BN box car. Mine was a gift from Walt. BN was the most
common box car Tyco made, and this yellow variant must have
been on a day they ran out of green colorant for the plastic.

https://youtu.be/PsorLkpyr84
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Just a Few Streamliners... Topic Next Topic: Strasburg  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000