Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 9 ]  [ Total: 9 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Accessories
 Tyco Crossings
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic: Tyco paper  

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - January 13 2008 :  12:22:54 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
Here are all of Tyco's grade crossing products. The first one pictured is the Lighted Signal crossing Tyco #937(1980-1982). The Best of the crossing signals made and as G-I-C stated"state of the art" for time period. Please see his Excellent video demonstration of this item on Youtube. There was a nite glow version made which came with the Golden Eagle train sets which were sold in 1980 only. Do not know if nite glow version was sold individually outside of the Golden Eagle train sets. This crossing has alternating lights that flash and a bell that is activated by weight of train as it enters the crossing. Operates from track voltage which can be converted to accesory power. The Next crossing accessory is Tyco #960(1982-1986) operating crossing flasher. This item works by a raised contact plate that is pushed down on opposite ends by locomotive and cars to get lights to flash. Mine still has the original retail sticker for $22.00 in 1982. No bell on this item. The next crossing from Tyco is #908(1968-1993) Operating crossing gate. No lights or bell. This one has an operating arm that drops once train hits the contact plate. With todays electronics-you could improve this crossing by adding alternating lights and gate mechanism if desired. This item was also available in Nite Glow and some of these crossings also came with promotional extras such as switch tracks,lighted bumper tracks or 17 pc bridge and trestle sets. The last crossing featured is the Tyco#928(1969-1982) Lighted signal man crossing. Crossing has a lighted shanty in which a signalman pops out of once train enters the contact plate. This light in the shanty operates form the accessory terminal. This item came out in the 60's and was retired in the early 80's. While all but 960 are basically the same in operation by the contact plate. Numbers 908 and 928 first came with Brass rails and were later replaced with Tru Steel track in the mid 70's. They are all unique pieces to own and work fairly well.

Tyco #937 crossing

Tyco #960 crossing

Tyco #908 crossing

Tyco #928 crossing--notice the track is not joined on left side in bottom right of photo.

Edited by - Brianstyco on January 13 2008 3:47:46 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator 

ILUVBUDWSR
Hudson

fty

Posted - January 14 2008 :  5:39:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ILUVBUDWSR to Buddylist
The " Nite Glow " crossing you are questioning was sold outside of the set. I have an old flyer from Trainwolrd from 1991 that has about 6 pages of a Tyco " Super blowout " sale and the crossing is listed in the sale flyer individualy.

Some day if I have time and am not out playing with the real choo-choo`s ill scan the flyer. It makes you sick to look at it though because there is so much cool stuff and they chopped the prices on it like 4 times. It has a operating mail car set for like 4 or 5 dollars > kicking myself in the buttocks <!

Also Brian , good find on all those crossings. The one I always liked was the no frills # 960. I had one of these my dad bought me when I was a kid and it lasted for YEARS! I would have to say that the 960 is the hardest to find of all the crossings. Thanks for posting!

A lone amature built the ark! A large group of professionals built the titanic!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 423  ~  Member Since: September 25 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 08 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - January 14 2008 :  8:01:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Interesting Brian. Did you find these all on ebay?
Alco Fan
Edited by - Alco Fan on January 14 2008 8:02:20 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - January 14 2008 :  8:10:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
quote:
Interesting Brian. Did you find these all on ebay?

Originally posted by Alco Fan - January 14 2008 :  7:01:51 PM

Yes-- Alco fan. I purchased all of these in 2007. #960= i have 2 of mint sealed.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - January 14 2008 :  8:15:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
quote:
The " Nite Glow " crossing you are questioning was sold outside of the set. I have an old flyer from Trainwolrd from 1991 that has about 6 pages of a Tyco " Super blowout " sale and the crossing is listed in the sale flyer individualy.

Some day if I have time and am not out playing with the real choo-choo`s ill scan the flyer. It makes you sick to look at it though because there is so much cool stuff and they chopped the prices on it like 4 times. It has a operating mail car set for like 4 or 5 dollars > kicking myself in the buttocks <!

Also Brian , good find on all those crossings. The one I always liked was the no frills # 960. I had one of these my dad bought me when I was a kid and it lasted for YEARS! I would have to say that the 960 is the hardest to find of all the crossings. Thanks for posting!

Originally posted by ILUVBUDWSR - January 14 2008 :  4:39:42 PM

Thanks ILUVBUDWSR. I remember those trainland/trainworld ads especially this time of year in January after christmas as they would have Tyco blowouts at incredible prices. Pretty sure everyone would like to see that flyer--I would!! Yes--the #960 is hard to find.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - January 20 2008 :  12:42:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Thanks for the write-up. I always wondered if the 960 was a full track section or just a clip-on unit. Either way that was a high price for the time! I like how in the box photo they have the signal on the wrong side of the track... typical Tyco [Oops!]
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - February 12 2017 :  01:18:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
quote:
Thanks for the write-up. I always wondered if the 960 was a full track section or just a clip-on unit. Either way that was a high price for the time! I like how in the box photo they have the signal on the wrong side of the track... typical Tyco [Oops!]

Originally posted by GoingInCirclez - January 20 2008 :  12:42:44 AM

In fairness, I think that's for the purpose of giving a good view of both the light and the trigger plate in one photo

Necro-ing this thread to request photos of the underside of the various versions of the gate crossing - I recently acquired a broken one that I want to repair

Feedback-hungry attention w****
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

IslandTrains
Little Six

Posted - February 12 2017 :  10:08:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add IslandTrains to Buddylist
I had the #937 back in the day and it worked great! You lifted one of the "crates" on the loading dog to wind up a clockwork mechanism that operated the bell and the contacts to alternate the lights.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 143  ~  Member Since: March 22 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 12 2017 :  3:25:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I needs to get the 2nd one & install it onto the 1st
or find a loose one & do the same
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - February 12 2017 :  4:18:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
Do you have a 908 that you could take a picture of the bottom of?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jamesday@btinternet.com
Switcher

Posted - February 12 2017 :  8:07:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jamesday@btinternet.com to Buddylist
Guys,

Can anyone explain the obvious similarities between two of these crossings and the more recent Life-Like versions?

I have the LL versions with Power-Loc track, but they were also made with the LL non roadbed type track.

They look so similar that I suspect the tooling could well be the same!

The Switchman unit In have works perfectly, but the twin barrier activation is a lot more hit and miss!

James
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 48  ~  Member Since: September 19 2014  ~  Last Visit: December 03 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - February 12 2017 :  8:46:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
Life-Like's tooling is their own. While it looks highly similar, it is not entirely identical. Back in the day, modelmakers copied each other's homework alllll the time.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - February 13 2017 :  6:44:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist
Photos of the item number 908.

Hope these photos answer your questions about this iconic tyco item.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jamesday@btinternet.com
Switcher

Posted - February 13 2017 :  7:30:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jamesday@btinternet.com to Buddylist
Guys,

I really appreciate both your very helpful replies. I will go up into my attic and dig out my two Life-Like Crossings to compare them. The underside images are particularly revealing, although mine are both Power-Loc types.

My LL barrier crossing has two moving arms and came in a set. It is not really that positive, compared to the Switchman which is bullet proof.

I wonder why the different manufacturers didn't take more legal action to protect themselves from such blatant copying?

James
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 48  ~  Member Since: September 19 2014  ~  Last Visit: December 03 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - February 13 2017 :  7:31:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
They do. Thank you very much! That confirms I have mine repaired correctly

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - February 21 2017 :  12:14:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
quote:
Life-Like's tooling is their own. While it looks highly similar, it is not entirely identical. Back in the day, modelmakers copied each other's homework alllll the time.

Originally posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman - February 12 2017 :  8:46:05 PM

Exactly. The Bachmann dual crossing gate also seems to borrow quite a bit from the TYCO version.

I have the TYCO crossing gate and the lighted signal crossing on my layout, and they work pretty well. My version of the crossing gate (908) is the early version, with a more detailed base, and the track section can be removed and replaced. I replaced the original 9" brass section with a 9" Atlas Code-100 nickel-silver track section, and it still works really well.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

SimonTC
Switcher

SP1Avatar

Posted - April 10 2023 :  5:25:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SimonTC to Buddylist
The Golden Eagle "Nite-Glow" version was just the standard version which included a Nite-Glow sticker sheet. Could never get them to stick properly and forget about the "RXR" glowing. It was extremely disappointing it wasn't painted on. Same thing with the "Nite Glow" on the Crane Loader in the set. Only the pipes were made of glow material. Impossible for the young me to apply the stickers to the gridwork of the crane. It was not sold separately.

The "Nite-Glow" Crossing Gate was the exact same thing.

The early brass versions of the Tyco Crossing Gate and Signal Man in Lighted Shack had lichen material on the base. The later versions were just molded & painted plastic.

The Tru-Steel versions said (c) 1978 Tyco Industries on the back. If it didn't (or said (c) 1975) it was brass.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 9  ~  Member Since: January 23 2022  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - January 08 2024 :  2:59:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Cool internet video shows a modified Tyco crossing.

Reimagined as a first class signal. Still can see the Tyco outline.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
   Topic Next Topic: Tyco paper  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000