Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 38 ]  [ Total: 38 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Motive Power
 Rogers Ten Wheelers
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: NH GG1....???? Topic Next Topic: Remember When...  

Roy
Little Six

Posted - January 02 2008 :  1:57:08 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Roy to Buddylist
Does anyone here have any interest in these? I'd like to hear what you think about them.

I have recently seen a red and green AT&SF which appeared to have an unpainted, molded-in-green boiler. Is this a late run of this model? My D&RG 4-8-0, from the mid-seventies, also has a molded-in-color boiler. AT&SF seems to be the most common roadname 4-6-0. How many years were these made?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 108  ~  Member Since: December 25 2007  ~  Last Visit: October 11 2012 Alert Moderator 

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - January 03 2008 :  01:07:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
I have a few of them.
2 of them are Spirit of 76 and one is Western and Atlantic.
Other than being OO instead of HO I like them. I want to put a can motor in one and paint it for the Prescott and Arizona Central.

Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Roy
Little Six

Posted - January 03 2008 :  02:34:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Roy to Buddylist
quote:
...Other than being OO instead of HO I like them. I want to put a can motor in one and paint it for the Prescott and Arizona Central.

I'm thinking about an Sn3.5 or Sn3 conversion. The overall proportions are a pretty good match.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 108  ~  Member Since: December 25 2007  ~  Last Visit: October 11 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - January 04 2008 :  12:45:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
hey, I have a question about the TYCO Dixie 4-6-0's...

I own two of them. One has been slightly altered to burn both coal as well as wood. It also is missing lettering.

Can you spot a manufacture difference in these two locomotives?
Loco #1 came first: There was no smoke stack so I added one from a Bic pen-cap. (no, that isn't the difference.)

^ ^ ^ ^
Looks a bit beat up, but it runs better and faster than this one which looks a lot better... VV VV VV

Do you see the manufacturing difference?
That is my challenge.

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?

Edited by - zebrails on January 04 2008 12:50:14 AM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

midmo1
Little Six

Posted - January 04 2008 :  06:44:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add midmo1 to Buddylist
Smaller drivers on the first one???

Mid-MO

Edited by - midmo1 on January 04 2008 06:46:19 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 129  ~  Member Since: September 26 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 30 2008 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - January 04 2008 :  11:26:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
The first one has a different sand dome.
It is also missing the fire box/motor cover.

Anyone have an extra boiler for one of these?

Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Roy
Little Six

Posted - January 04 2008 :  12:34:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Roy to Buddylist
I also noticed the sand dome. I know the unfluted domes appeared first, but I don't know whether both styles were made concurrently. Also, I can't tell if the upper loco has a painted cab, but the lower looks more like a molded-in-color cab.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 108  ~  Member Since: December 25 2007  ~  Last Visit: October 11 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - January 05 2008 :  04:45:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist

Yes, it is the sand dome.
I really didn't pay much attention to the cab, but perhaps I aught to.

The unlettered, beat up one tends to be kinda moody. Y'know, like it runs its own pace. I mainly like it because it flies like spit in a fan.

Also, when I bought the beat up one, it was missing the boiler backhead. Not until I got the better-looking one did I notice that part was gone.

The drivers are all the same.
The rear, engineer-side, driver has the traction tire on it.

Long ago, when I first saw these models, I thought the off-centered drivers were some sort of model imperfection. Then, I saw pic's of the real ones (even seeing the mid-axle having a blind driver, or some would say that it is with-out or missing flanges.
Two of these double-heading... if only I had sound in these.

thank you

John

"I love your catenary!"
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Roy
Little Six

Posted - January 05 2008 :  06:01:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Roy to Buddylist
quote:
...Long ago, when I first saw these models, I thought the off-centered drivers were some sort of model imperfection. Then, I saw pic's of the real ones...

Yep,

(From www.petticoat-junction.com)

Extra points if you know what "C&FW" really referred to. [;)]

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - January 07 2008 :  03:31:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
...Long ago, when I first saw these models, I thought the off-centered drivers were some sort of model imperfection. Then, I saw pic's of the real ones...

"Extra points if you know what "C&FW" really referred to. [;)]

Originally posted by Roy - January 05 2008 : 10:01:58 AM

At first, I thought of the Chicago Great Western, Chicago North Western, and then, well, generally, I wasn't too far off. Yes, I Googled it. But still, my thoughts were not really far off.

I will let someone else put down the answer.
My question is, which show was the spin-off?

Found this on Google, too...
http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2453

John

"I love your catenary!"

Roy
Little Six

Posted - January 07 2008 :  11:53:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Roy to Buddylist
quote:
...My question is, which show was the spin-off?...

"Petticoat Junction" followed "The Beverly Hillbillies", and "Green Acres" followed "Petticoat Junction". But, they weren't exactly spinoffs, as in the later-used sense of the word, as no one left one show to star in another.

Roy
Little Six

Posted - January 07 2008 :  12:20:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Roy to Buddylist
Anyone have any photos of the real locomotive from "The Iron Horse", especially in color? I don't think the show made it to rerun syndication, let alone VHS or DVD.

I know it was "played" by Sierra #3, which was more famous as the Hooterville Cannonball in "Petticoat Junction". As such, although still overscale, the Tyco model is true to prototype. But how was she painted? Like the train set box art, or the model, or how?

Roy
Little Six

Posted - January 20 2008 :  03:12:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Roy to Buddylist
Just got this AT&SF ten-wheeler:

Again, unmatched domes. Of course, it's very easy to switch out the domes, so I have no way to know how she actually came from the factory.

This specimen is completely painted, except for the SCREAMING YELLOW molded-in-color bell. I'd really be interested to know what Tyco's thinking was, regarding this particular color choice. Did this roadname ever come with a different color bell?

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - January 20 2008 :  1:06:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
I have the same ATSF version from a complete "Golden West" set... and it too has that stupid goofy-looking bell. It's even worse than the diesels that use yellow horns instead of black.

I used a copper Sharpie to color mine, and it matches the domes now.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - September 12 2008 :  3:00:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Heres a few Rogers 4-6-0s
The Iron Horse.

locomotive E S Marsh SF&D
L

Western & Alantic ten wheeler

ATSF 4-6-0

Hooterville Canonball

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on September 12 2008 3:20:08 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: NH GG1....???? Topic Next Topic: Remember When...  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000