Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Identification Station
 OLD MANTUA Shark
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Mantua Amtrak #5628 Topic Next Topic: Bachmann all American Powertrain  

midmo1
Little Six

Posted - December 18 2007 :  7:32:46 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add midmo1 to Buddylist

Can anyone ID this shark for me??? All metal body ...Mantua Tyco molded on the inside of the body...power in the rear...no front coupler pocket...no traction tires...very heavy.looks like original paint...how old is it??how can I tune it up??....Thanx all

Ted
Mid-MO
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 129  ~  Member Since: September 26 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 30 2008 Alert Moderator 

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - December 18 2007 :  9:30:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
Does it have a bulb for the headlight? The 1950's sharks like this do not have hole or lens on front of nose as the one i have does not have a headlight
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - December 18 2007 :  11:42:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
I don't have all my facts on the metal sharks in front of me, but that is the second or third release.

Yours looks to have been repainted... at least the silver parts have a definite sheen to them, and there are other touch ups. The red (on yellow) may be original if it has some bad masking fuzz.

I *think* IIRC that the power truck should be easy to disassemble on these. You will want to clean up the gunky grease, clean the commutator and wheels, and polish the brass bushings. Reassemble everything and use a light touch of grease on the gears and some labelle oil on the commutator bearings.

These early, "MU-1" (my terminology, I don't know what they were called) motors really have a wonderful, pleasant whining sound when in tune. But be warned: even on a good day, the metal sharks were infamous for barely managing to get out of their own way.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

midmo1
Little Six

Posted - December 19 2007 :  06:20:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add midmo1 to Buddylist
Mornin'
Yes , it does have a headlight..paint is original..got quite a few "blemishes"..
did it have a "fuel tank" or is it just hollow between the trucks.....

Ted
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 129  ~  Member Since: September 26 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 30 2008 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DrWho
Switcher

Crusader

Posted - December 22 2007 :  6:25:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DrWho to Buddylist

Hi Ted;

Your Shark was first cataloged by TYCO in 1956 on page 12....

Enjoy!

Dr Who
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7  ~  Member Since: December 05 2007  ~  Last Visit: August 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

midmo1
Little Six

Posted - December 22 2007 :  8:13:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add midmo1 to Buddylist
Wow...thats cool...I'm only one yr older than the engine....Do you or have you ever watched Dr Who?...I used to watch it on ch 11 when I lived in Chgo...Don Baker is the best!

Thanx for the ad!!!!

Ted
midmo
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 129  ~  Member Since: September 26 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 30 2008 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - April 18 2008 :  8:23:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
I have a diecast Shark with no light or opening for a light. It's sort of orange and black. Does this seem to be an original paint job. I need to get a pic of it up here.

This is an auction pic that is identical to mine, that I saved for reference. This is a factory paint job.
No signs of ever having a light or horns.

Alco Fan
Edited by - Alco Fan on May 02 2008 11:05:02 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Adams
Big Boy

Posted - April 18 2008 :  10:13:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Adams to Buddylist
Is there any demand on the board for the metal unpowered B unit that is basically silver, but has a single stripe with TYCO written in it? I know where one is.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 874  ~  Member Since: October 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: June 09 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Puppyfang
Big Six

shark1

Posted - April 19 2008 :  05:48:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Puppyfang to Buddylist
I would be interested possibly....garret
"Though amid all the smoking horror and diabolism of a sea-fight, SHARKS will be seen longingly gazing up to the ship's decks, like hungry dogs round a table where red meat is being carved, ready to bolt down every killed man that is tossed to them . . ." by Herman Melville
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 209  ~  Member Since: March 25 2008  ~  Last Visit: August 03 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Puppyfang
Big Six

shark1

Posted - April 30 2008 :  11:15:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Puppyfang to Buddylist
Ok, guys.. is this also a mantua shark...metal body, hard to tell if original paint ...no center casing on bottom...let me know thanks...Garret

"Though amid all the smoking horror and diabolism of a sea-fight, SHARKS will be seen longingly gazing up to the ship's decks, like hungry dogs round a table where red meat is being carved, ready to bolt down every killed man that is tossed to them . . ." by Herman Melville
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 209  ~  Member Since: March 25 2008  ~  Last Visit: August 03 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Puppyfang
Big Six

shark1

Posted - May 06 2008 :  1:07:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Puppyfang to Buddylist
any idea who is the manufacturer of this one, what do you think I should do with it, leave it as is or a redo? Garret

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - May 06 2008 :  1:10:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
i like trains with character,and thats got it repaint or not,but thats my view ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - May 06 2008 :  1:17:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Garret,

Yours is indeed one of the original Mantua metal sharks. Originally it had loop and hook couplers.

It has been custom painted, and it looks like the horns were replaced with modified Athearn horns in a custom-drilled hole. I'm curious how the original horn holes were filled?

The motors are easy to disassemble and clean, and will run smooth although that beast may have trouble getting out of its own way.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Puppyfang
Big Six

shark1

Posted - May 06 2008 :  4:23:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Puppyfang to Buddylist
Thanks.. it runs well, and maybe it should be left like it is, will check out the holes when I get a chance to take apart for a good cleaning, they changed the couplers to kaydees but otherwise it looks fairly original... Garret

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - January 10 2021 :  11:57:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist
quote:

Can anyone ID this shark for me??? All metal body ...Mantua Tyco molded on the inside of the body...power in the rear...no front coupler pocket...no traction tires...very heavy.looks like original paint...how old is it??how can I tune it up??....Thanx all

Ted
Mid-MO

Originally posted by midmo1 - December 18 2007 :  7:32:46 PM

Very nice.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 10 2021 :  12:33:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I has one too

do want a matching B unit too
powered or unpowered idc hehe
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - January 10 2021 :  6:08:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I don't think they made a matching B unit in that scheme
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 10 2021 :  9:58:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Alex is right here, I don't believe a B-unit was ever released with the "Tyco" name and stripe scheme. There was an unpainted B-unit released, though. But, I think that's it.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 11 2021 :  12:04:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Shark tank.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 11 2021 :  10:52:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

Your Shark was first cataloged by TYCO in 1956 on page 12....

Originally posted by DrWho - December 22 2007 :  6:25:09 PM

thats fine but I still want one
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

offtrackthoroughbred
Little Six

Ice Bandit

Posted - January 15 2021 :  09:10:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add offtrackthoroughbred to Buddylist

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 125  ~  Member Since: November 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 12 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 15 2021 :  11:09:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by offtrackthoroughbred - January 15 2021 :  09:10:09 AM

SEE?? there IS a matching B unit!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 15 2021 :  8:29:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Ah. There is.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - January 16 2021 :  12:27:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by offtrackthoroughbred - January 15 2021 :  09:10:09 AM

SEE?? there IS a matching B unit!

Originally posted by microbusss - January 15 2021 :  11:09:14 AM

Omg wow wow wow there IS!!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Mantua Amtrak #5628 Topic Next Topic: Bachmann all American Powertrain  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000