Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Rolling Stock
 TYCO SEARS BOXCAR CIRCA 1974-1975
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: autoloader Topic Next Topic: Newcomer with T622 ho set  

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - October 03 2006 :  9:21:46 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
FLASHBACK--I was looking at some christmas pictures in a photo album from christmas past. I remember getting a train set that came from sears in 1974 or 1975 . The set had a santa fe steam engine- crane car maintenace caboose=santa fe also- gondola- flat car. It came with a 40ft sears boxcar. It was light blue(correction teal as stated in article below from goingincirclz) in color and all letters and numbers were in white. it also had a large oval with switch tracks to make a double curve as my dad had it mounted on piece of plywood. I was only 3 or 4 yrs old when i got this set. I do not have any pieces left as i probably destroyed it at that age-i can not remember what happened to it. Did anyone else have this setr or boxcar.? I do remember having the boxcar and some other pieces for a few years but can not recollect what happened to them.
Edited by - Brianstyco on October 04 2006 12:02:12 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator 

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - October 03 2006 :  10:59:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
I know that Lionel made an HO set for Sears during their second ho-round in the 70's - which would be close to the timeframe you mention. As I recall it was a 40' box in that trademark Sears Teal color, but with white logos and graphics. I know, not Tyco, but throwing that out there for what it's worth...
Edited by - GoingInCirclez on October 03 2006 11:00:00 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - October 04 2006 :  12:00:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
That is the one. I have never seen one listed on ebay and boy would i love to have it for the memories it holds for me. Maybe Vintage HO will read this topic and chime in with his vast knowledge.
Edited by - Brianstyco on October 04 2006 12:24:18 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - October 04 2006 :  12:36:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
If you do a Google Image search for "Lionel HO Sears", you'll get a cruddy cached thumbnail of one that was auctioned some time ago. The auction itself is gone...

That's the best I could find right now.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

VintageHO
Mikado

Tyco Time

Posted - October 04 2006 :  02:29:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add VintageHO to Buddylist
Hi Guys.
Circlez was right. Lionel made a couple of HO sets for Sears between 1975-76 using the Sears Boxcar. The most popular was the Sears "American Flyer" Set #6592. (Nothing to do with AC Gilbert)
It was a Sears version of a Bicentennial Set. It had an Aqua Green boxcar with Sears logo & markings (# 5-8517). These sets were uncataloged. The boxcar had a catalog number but, was not available separately. The Engines were Diesels GP7 on Flyer set. UP Set was Alco FA. Neither set had a crane car.

Marx also made Sears sets in the 60's. They had a Yellow Santa Fe Boxcar with just the Sears name added to it in black. Also made An "Allstate Motor Oil" single dome tank car in various colors.

The Lionel boxcar is a nice looking car, very accurate color. The green was Trade mark color Sears still uses. It pops up on eBay from time to time. There is not much interest in it now. But, things change. I have to do a few train shows in the next few months. I'll keep my eyes open for it.
The train sets bring about $100-150 in like new condition.
The boxcar between $10 - 20.
Unless your one of those train dealers who think they have gold and want $300 for the set and $50 for the car. [:D] Carl

Numquam Immoderatio Satis Est
(Too Much Is Never Enough )

Edited by - VintageHO on October 04 2006 02:52:04 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 632  ~  Member Since: January 23 2006  ~  Last Visit: June 21 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

VintageHO
Mikado

Tyco Time

Posted - October 04 2006 :  03:11:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add VintageHO to Buddylist
Hi. Here is a picture of the two Sears Sets.

Numquam Immoderatio Satis Est
(Too Much Is Never Enough )
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 632  ~  Member Since: January 23 2006  ~  Last Visit: June 21 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

MagnoliaAcademy
Hudson

Posted - October 04 2006 :  9:57:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add MagnoliaAcademy to Buddylist
The "Allstate" Sears sets were many and differed rather widely, certainly, from year to year. Their only offering in what was supposed to approximate that Sears "teal" was the Allstate tank car, which--as V-HO reported--came in multiple colors, and multiple attempts at Sears blue as well.
The other Sears attempt to "get it right" was done by Cox thru their Leisure Dynamics branch in Don Mills, Ontario, Canada circa 1980. Sold thru Canadian Sears outlets, they released a whopper of a CP rail set with crane, dock, a string of cars and two really terrific teal blue Sears offerings:
a plugdoor box and, best of all, a terrific Sears piggyback trailer combo. VERY NICE Sears offering, albeit Canadian.
I recall the two Lionel HO offerings as well. Thirty years on they're quite attractive--I certainly envy the owner--but at the time I recall pitying "American Flyer" and the way the pathetic vestiges of the Lionel empire were capitalizing on the grand old name of that fine Toy Train institution from Chicago and, later, A.C. Gilbert's "magic shop."
Funny how things change...
MagAc

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 446  ~  Member Since: December 09 2005  ~  Last Visit: October 28 2006 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

theoldreliable
Big Six

LNAvatar2

Posted - October 05 2006 :  12:19:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add theoldreliable to Buddylist
There is also a Cox flatcar w/a 50ft. Sears trailer out there. I used to have one, but like a dolt, I sold it w/the matching Lionel HO boxcar (OH THE HUMANITY!!!). It was a Sears teal green, as well.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 316  ~  Member Since: June 16 2006  ~  Last Visit: September 02 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

theoldreliable
Big Six

LNAvatar2

Posted - October 05 2006 :  12:20:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add theoldreliable to Buddylist
OOPS...MagAc beat me to the punch. I should read ALL of the posts from now on.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 316  ~  Member Since: June 16 2006  ~  Last Visit: September 02 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

MagnoliaAcademy
Hudson

Posted - October 05 2006 :  5:04:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add MagnoliaAcademy to Buddylist
Sears by Cox
I did forget a Cox Sears offering. Their biggest set (that I'm aware of) was an American release with crane, dock set, loads, truck, two trailers (the teal blue Sears and Cox 0.49 engines advertising trailers) Rock Island Geep and crummy and seven cars including two container flats, one carrying two Sears containers in teal blue. I'm too dang lazy to drag the set down and open it and memory fails as to whether the container flat is in a box marked Sears. If so, it may have been a separate sale item.
for what its worth...
MagAc
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 446  ~  Member Since: December 09 2005  ~  Last Visit: October 28 2006 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - October 05 2006 :  8:18:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Sears truck on flatcar - ebay auction from two weeks ago (good pictures):

http://cgi.ebay.com/COX-HO-SCALE-FLAT-CAR-WITH-SEARS-VAN-BNIB-B_W0QQitemZ140029763268QQihZ004QQcategoryZ484QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

MagnoliaAcademy
Hudson

Posted - October 06 2006 :  4:06:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add MagnoliaAcademy to Buddylist
Tycoholics:
Moved a few mountains of poop and piffle in the traincrypt to access the Cox sets. Set in question is the 6047 Sea Land Action Freight Set; set paper dates it to 1976.
While the container flats (two with the set) are just generic ATSF flats, the set has one of the small (5 1/2") Cox boxes with teal blue Sears containers for the flat cars. The box is identified as "No. 6232-8 CARGO SEARS."
The Sears piggyback flat and trailer is in the standard "SANTA FE FLAT CAR WITH VAN NO. 6150-4" as is contained in the Canadian-distributed CP set (other distinguishing difference in those sets is the American set has the yellow crane, the CP set's is blue.)
For what its worth...
MagAc

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - December 18 2010 :  11:17:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
I stumbled on this old thread through Google while searching for some info on the Sears car. Now I see that I nearly have a complete set! Santa came a little early today, with the help of ebay:

I'm cautiously optimistic that the engine will run again. It's basically all there, but in pieces.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1166  ~  Member Since: October 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JohnnyKane
Big Six

OT

Posted - December 18 2010 :  4:09:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JohnnyKane to Buddylist
quote:

/tyco/forum/uploaded/vintageho/Liosears.jpg

Originally posted by VintageHO - October 04 2006 :  02:29:46 AM

Carl-

What a neat find! I've never seen that car before.

Hmmmm... it would so go with my truck.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 201  ~  Member Since: March 14 2009  ~  Last Visit: October 28 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 18 2010 :  4:31:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I gots one too!

This one was about $10 I think from Mizells in Westminster,CO
As you can see this side has a broken door & railing Still a good find & all look good guys

Edited by - microbusss on December 18 2010 4:34:04 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - December 18 2010 :  8:01:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Funny that this thread resurfaced now, because this set popped up in one of my eBay searches this morning. This guy is a Lionel collector, so is this the going rate for one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lionel-HO-American-Flyer-Bicentennial-Sears-Train-Set-/180602314686

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - December 18 2010 :  10:01:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
I saw that one too. It's really the only thing on there related to this set. Seems high to me, but everything seems high to me these days.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1166  ~  Member Since: October 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: autoloader Topic Next Topic: Newcomer with T622 ho set  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000