Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Motive Power
 Diesel Handrail Question...
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic: The 3 Major Phases of Tyco''s F9 A-unit Shell  

Strummer
Switcher

Posted - May 01 2024 :  09:57:34 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Strummer to Buddylist
It appears that handrail sets for the Alco 430 are way more plentiful (on eBay) than those for the GP20; are they interchangeable? (I recently picked up a very nice CB&Q Geep 20 but it has no handrails...)

Thanks!

Mark in Oregon

Edited by - Strummer on May 01 2024 09:59:29 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 16  ~  Member Since: April 17 2024  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2024 Alert Moderator 

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - May 03 2024 :  10:12:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I believe the stanchions are interchangeable (they look the same anyway), but the bends in the handrails would not be correct. You'd need to bend your own railings.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3325  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - May 03 2024 :  10:38:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
The handrail sets are not interchangeable. The C430 is an Alco, and the rails follow Alco practice. The GP20 is an EMD, and the rails follow that builder's practice. In addition, there is a big difference in length between the two locomotives. If you are looking for handrails for a GP20, look for Athearn GP9 rails, as they should be similar in size and shape.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 488  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Strummer
Switcher

Posted - May 11 2024 :  11:21:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Strummer to Buddylist
Thanks for the observations, suggestions and advice.

Picked up an ATSF (freight) example with a full set of handrails; the motor on this was not good, so I canniblized the handrails and used 'em on the CB&Q unit.

I received another intact Burlington Geep today; after a fair bit of work, this one now runs really well, too! I think this one might be an older (?) example, based on the non-blackened truck frames and weight, which has no "TYCO/Mantua" lettering on it:

Mark in Oregon
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 16  ~  Member Since: April 17 2024  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
   Topic Next Topic: The 3 Major Phases of Tyco''s F9 A-unit Shell  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000