Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 17 ]  [ Newest Member: Chutem ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 Interesting layout plans.
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Bump: EZ Track Torture Test Topic Next Topic: Elbonia: Gateway to the Future  

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - January 01 2024 :  2:42:18 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
While surfing the net looking for layout plans I came across this fascinating little layout. This photo is the only view I've ever been able to find of it, so I am guessing the track arrangement in the back corner. I would love to find other views of this plan. The photo appears in numerous places on the web, all uncredited so I have no idea whose brilliant idea it is.

So I attempted to reconstruct the plan in ANyrail, in two versions. The first version puts a crossing in the back corner for a three times around plan. This one would up taking up alot of space because of the crossing, and the overall size is 6 feet square.

I tried a second versionwhich eliminated the crossing in favour of two seperate loops, with a connector between them. In doing so I was able to narrow the plan to 5'6" by 6 feet.

Looking at the plan, I figured that connector track between the loops would work even better if it were bidirectional so that a train could shift back and forth between the two loops without backing up. I modified the plan further. I added the missing connection, and in doing so was able to further narrow the plan to 5 x 6. In the final version, the two loops are coloured blue and brown, with the connector between them in orange.

SOme final notes on these plans. They are drawn using Atlas code 83 track and the parts lists reflect this. Code 100 has an identical geometry so these plans could be easily built with that track as well. In all my plans I have minimum standards of 18: radius and 4% grades. I have found curves sharper than 18, and grades steeper than 4% do not play well with HO trains, but those standards will allow the use of any 4 axle diesel, smaller 6 axle power, and steam up to a 2-8-0. I suspect the larger Tyco 3-6-2 and 2-8-2 would work well on these plans too, but mine are currently under rebuild and unavailable to test on my own layout built to similar standards. The one compromise I made here is retaining the use of the Snap Switches used on the layout that inspired these plans. They are familiar to those on this forum, take up little space, and if I personally were to build this railroad I'd handlay the switches anyway. It's incredible how much less space those handlaid switches take up, I gat get a &6 in less space than a Snap Switch, as well as build curved switches that save me alot of space. The final version of the plan illustrates the use of handlaid switches using the FastTracks jigs I already have on hand to build this layout with #6 switches in the same footprint.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 489  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 21 2024 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 01 2024 :  7:35:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Pretty darn neat. I'd never seen that image, or plan.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11214  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - January 01 2024 :  9:38:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
I liked it so much I am considering building it as an extension of my existing layout.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 489  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - January 01 2024 :  10:56:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
That looks like it has real possibilities for operation. There are spurs for industries and sidings and spurs that could represent the home yard of a short line railroad. Plus, the continuous running possibilities would make it a good one for just watching trains run.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2359  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - January 02 2024 :  12:38:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
i'm glad somebody else recognizes the operating possibilities. If I posted these plans on certain other forums, all they would see is the amount of track in a small space and dismiss it out of hand. My thoughts on this are similar to yours, it does make for a good compact terminal for a railroad. My idea is to add this to my existing layout, which would double its size. This would become the interchange point between the CUmberland Terminal and its parent railroad, the Alleghany Railway.

It also can be used for the grandkids to just run trains when they are over. Added to my existing layout it would enable three trains to run on different loops without interfering with each other. When they get older, I'll teach them the finer points of an operating railroad.

The stiff grades and sharp curves will keep train lengths reasonable: 10 cars for diesels, and 5 cars for steam.

The thing I find interesting is in the photo of the layout they are using Docksiders. I wouldn't think something that small would be up to the task of handling freight on this railroad but I might be wrong.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 489  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - January 02 2024 :  09:22:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:

The thing I find interesting is in the photo of the layout they are using Docksiders. I wouldn't think something that small would be up to the task of handling freight on this railroad but I might be wrong.
Originally posted by jward - January 02 2024 :  12:38:07 AM

In the prototype sense, Docksides had a very high axle weight and therefore lots of traction, so seeing one pulling an impressive load might be quite authentic. In the model sense, diecast tank engines are good pullers. The plastic ones would fall a bit short of the 5-car train you're contemplating.

You mention the amount of track in the space. The Jan. 1965 Model Railroader magazine had an article called, "The Mostest Track in the Leastest Space." It was a 5x6 foot layout with every possible inch covered with track. The owner would have operating sessions that lasted for hours, imagining division points were engines where changed and switching to make up trains. There was practically no scenery and the controls were spread around between the tracks, but as a game board for operations, it was a fun layout. Life is all about trade-offs. What do you want, and what are you willing to give up for it? If your one big thing is lots of scenery in proportion to track, you'll go one way. If you want lots of operation in a little space, bring on the absurdly sharp curves, steep grades and too-small industrial buildings.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2359  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Bump: EZ Track Torture Test Topic Next Topic: Elbonia: Gateway to the Future  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000