Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 21 ]  [ Total: 21 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 Elbonia: Gateway to the Future
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Interesting layout plans. Topic Next Topic: New house layout!  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 30 2023 :  09:51:02 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
https://youtu.be/FmQaB42Yp0c

Going to start a new thread for my Continental European stuff under the tag line "Elbonia," which is a direct reference to the brilliant comic strip contained with Gary Larson's "Dilbert." Elbonia has sinister implications of Eastern European flavor, and prior to the Ukraine War I openly ran Soviet style model train themes, a flagship example being a fantasy advertisement for Soviet Tourism by Rail.

The reason for my interest is that as a wee lad of four I spent a week largely camped out in the State Tourist Hotel in Moscow at the height of the Cold War, with my brother and sister and mother, as father poured over musty volumes, which then, were only available in person at the State Library as he researched various figures of the Russian Revolution. It was roughly the equivalent of visiting North Korea, today.

Why a man would drag his entire family with him to what amounted to the world's largest prison is hard to understand. Perhaps it was simple niavate or perhaps it was using the family as a human shield, or a bit of both. I don't know. Regrettably, it never occured to any of us to point blank ask the old man his motivations while he was still alive.

No nevermind, it left an indelible impression on this young budding Train Head, like Britain, a few years later. And then, finally, Tyco, after immigrating back to the United States.

Elbonia, yes, is a thinly veiled reference to communist railroads, a la George Orwell. Most of the pieces are actually French or Spanish or Italian, but fit my fantasy narrative nicely. I do have one East German model of a Russian train by Piko.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11195  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2024 Alert Moderator 

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - December 30 2023 :  10:48:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
Elbonia has sinister implications of Eastern European flavor, and prior to the Ukraine War I openly ran Soviet style model train themes, a flagship example being a fantasy advertisement for Soviet Tourism by Rail.
Originally posted by Chops124 - December 30 2023 :  09:51:02 AM

It was most appropriate to use the locomotive with the Красная звезда (red star) on the side.

As I recall, though, Lower Elbonia is waist deep in mud. Looks like a scenery update is in order.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2354  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 30 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - December 31 2023 :  11:39:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Deserves a repeat. Nice action Jeff.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5896  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 31 2023 :  7:28:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Ball Bearing Production is Up!

https://youtu.be/19XN19fm0rU

I was so disheartened by the events of the past two years I didn't run any of the Soviet stuff out of
concern and respect for the innocents. However, it seems benign enough to do it under the moniker
of Elbonia. Larson really hit it out the park with that humor.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11195  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 31 2023 :  7:32:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
USSR Railski Pass

The cool locomotive is a Pico, and is of East German manufacture. It is actually quite good, considering
most Eastern Block products, whether automobiles or model trains, were terrible junk.

https://youtu.be/1TWVTy4ETgI
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11195  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Interesting layout plans. Topic Next Topic: New house layout!  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000